Breif Visit to East Fortune...

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

The Cosford Brit could stay and mingle in nicely with a few quid spent painting over it's current BOAC livery. I'm still not sure it's military enough for them mind you :think:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

iainp93
Viscount
Viscount

Post by iainp93 »

Well even with Concorde, I have to say that I wasn't very impressed with the museum. There is no real sense of life that the aircraft need (no offence to anybody that works on them, you do a good job) but in my opinion I would rather continue my voluntary job at the Highland Aviation Museum with what we call our 'hands-on' experience (getting into cockpits etc.) than get paid to work at East Fortune.

union79
Meteor
Meteor

Post by union79 »

were is the Higlands aviation muesum? and what equipment do you have?

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I think it's at Dalcross, Inverness.

Virtual museum.

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

iainp93
Viscount
Viscount

Post by iainp93 »

Hi union79

Yes as Garry Stated we are beside inverness airport our fleet consists of

Handley page herald (cockpit and forward seating area) G-ASVO
EE Lightning F.1 (cockpit)
Blackburn Buccaneer S1 (whole aircraft) and an S2 cockpit
Jet provost Mk 3 and a mk 4 (cockpits)
Vickers Valliant (cockpit)
Panavia Tornado GR.1 (whole aircraft)
And to top it all off, a Fire engine from sumburgh airport

Also, we have a fantastic whole Hawker Hunter but she is currently off site for final prep work

We have in the museum building, photos, facts and memoribielleia of aviation history in the highlands and islands spaning from the first flights to aviation in the area today. Plus you get the chance to sit in the pilot's seat of all these great aircraft except the tornado as we are still knicking parts from lossiemouth! :lol:

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Having visited the museum at Dalcross, its well worth a visit, and the team do an excellent job.

With reguards to East Fortune there are many there who are true enthusiasts and do much more than make up the numbers, but as a local government run organisation, there will always be the hangers on.

East Fortune have a superb collection of aircraft and a majority of staff who are very enthusiastic with respect to the history they are preserving. A new superhanger offers Scotland an oppertunity to participate in global aviation preservation with perhaps the largest undercover collection of airliiners in the UK, which can only be a good thing.

I for one hope that they continue to get the funding for the great work they do and they get the oppertunity to realise they're plans for the future. :smile:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage