Dual Monitors

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Jetset
Concorde
Concorde

Dual Monitors

Post by Jetset »

Just a quickie chaps, if one went for a dual monitor setup using one AGP card, will it have an affect on fps?
Onwards and Upwards!!!!!!!!
Jetty!
If God had of meant us to fly, he would have given us wings! He did, it's called an aeroplane!

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hello Jetty :smile:

In my experience, even with an 'average' card.. just about nil. I presume it's for FS9??

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

I nearly always use two monitors for FS9, with eg the Trident VC on the main monitor and Autopilot, Fuel, moving map , flightplan etc on the 2nd screen. There is no apparent loss of rate, and this applies even if I use spot viewon the 2nd screen.

Jetset
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Jetset »

It certainly is for FS9, just thought I would look into finally going dual, but didn't want to have a slide show once I did.

Thanks chaps, I may give it a go.
Jetty!
If God had of meant us to fly, he would have given us wings! He did, it's called an aeroplane!

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Jetty :smile:

If you do.. you'll wonder why you didn't before mate :wink: You can pick up a 17" TFT as cheap as chips now and if you run programs like FSNavigator.. you'll find having it fullscreen on the 2nd monitor a godsend :wink:

ATB

ImageImage

Jetset
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Jetset »

Well I did it and totally blew my budget. I replaced my 21 inch crt for 1 22 inch tft for the outside view and a 20 inch tft for the panel. The difference is amazing. It's now like a real flying experience with a sense of motion. I make the main panel the size of the screen and then have part of the overhead and outside view on the second monitor.

Wish I had done it years ago.
Jetty!

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Excellent mate.. glad you're sorted :wink:

Some folk find TFT's a little 'taxing' when doing paints as they tend to display a slightly different colour to CRT's but the space saved is enormous and they take very little by way of pwr consumption. You'll probably find that two TFT's won't take as much as your single CRT did (saving money in the long run if you have to explain it to SWMBO) :wink:

I'll retire my 19" Hansol CRT at some point but not until it's died as I prefer the look and feel of a CRT for my simming (mon1) but enjoy the space saved and extra clarity of my TFT for FSNav (mon2) :smile:

ATB

ImageImage

Jetset
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Jetset »

I finally feel like its a proper flying experience now. Plus with the new speakers and a woofer the atmosphere is really different.

All in all worth the money, just need to save up now for my sailing distance learning skipper course. Ah well, one step at a time.
Jetty!