Revisionist History at work??

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Revisionist History at work??

Post by DispatchDragon »

So, Im watching CNN this morning and they are reporting that the
new Minister of Education has stated that certain 20th Century leaders
are being deleted from Curriculm??? Say it aint so...

To the tune of "Has anybody here seen"

<<Anybody there seen my old friend Martin , can you tell me where hes gone?
Thought I saw him going over the hill following Adolph,Joesf and Winston......>>

Sorry the thought that Winston Churchill Joesf Stalin and Adolph Hitler
be removed from history is beyond me....Isnt there a saying about
those who choose to ignore history......????

Leif

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

"History: Pupils will continue to learn about important events of the last century, such as the World Wars and the Holocaust and also study key aspects of British History including Medieval History and the Industrial Revolution while also learning about the history of the slave trade. The importance of dates will be taught and chronological understanding will underpin studies".

That is from the official website. Rather than the narrow approach to history (concentrating largely on C20th) it looks to be expanding a wider range, which is only to be applauded.

Most of this has been press hype - there is no way, for example, that you an study WW2 WITHOUT mentioning Churchill, Hitler etc. But a little perspective is also no bad thing.

AndyG

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

Thank you Andy

I sort of figured thats what it was - CNN US seems able to take ANY story and totally blow it out of proportion

Leif

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

Leif,

The press here do much the same thing. It's much easier to put out a lie than actually check the truth - and then when somebody else does it start baying for their resignation, or their blood!!

AndyG

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

TBH often the truth is never sensational enough for these people.

I try to take it with a pinch of salt

They always pad it out to the utmost :sad:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

I can't remember where it came from, but recently, there was either a member of the Democrat National Committee or some talking head on TV that said that the reason the Deomcrats refused to participate in an NAACP (Black Caucus) debate was because it was being aired on Fox News which "doesn't manage the news well" according to that person. I think that should give a great insight into what most of the media believe that news is - something to be managed, not to be reported. We may not have governmental control on the media, but it's sure doing a good job on its own of eliminating the idea of a "free press" since it feels the need to "manage" the news that Joe Public sees.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

One thing I often find is the two sides being interviewed with an easy ride for the side of the news stations view.....but the on who is on the other side gets interrupted, bullied and generally prevented from making their point.

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Hot_Charlie
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Hot_Charlie »

AndyG wrote:"History: Pupils will continue to learn about important events of the last century, such as the World Wars and the Holocaust and also study key aspects of British History including Medieval History and the Industrial Revolution while also learning about the history of the slave trade. The importance of dates will be taught and chronological understanding will underpin studies".

That is from the official website. Rather than the narrow approach to history (concentrating largely on C20th) it looks to be expanding a wider range, which is only to be applauded.
Can't help noticing, but when I did my GSCEs and A-levels not so long ago, we covered all those things, and I didn't do A-level History because it left out most of the periods that interested me - which are mainly in the C20th.
Charlie

[Intentionally Blank]

kit
Trident
Trident

Post by kit »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Can't help noticing, but when I did my GSCEs and A-levels not so long ago, we covered all those things, and I didn't do A-level History because it left out most of the periods that interested me - which are mainly in the C20th.
...and when I was at school, up to 1961, you'd think the world had taken a running jump from Elizabeth I's time to the present day. We hardly touched anything after then, just a vague mention of the Industrial Revolution and that was that.

When it came time for the end of year 'Individual Lessons' where each one of the pupils gave a 30 min talk on the historical subject of their choice, I did one on my Dad's experience of PR flying in WWII.

I thought our history teacher was going to string me up! He claimed it was so 'modern' that it didn't count, but he was drowned out by my fellow pupils all wanting to hear more.
Regards
Kit