Paint tutorial

The place to request or publish repaints for Classic British Aircraft. Please note... no FICTIONAL livery requests!

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry, The Painters

Captain Pugwash
Lightning
Lightning

Paint tutorial

Post by Captain Pugwash »

asking for any help or advice on which paint tutorial is the easiest for a novice to use. i have photoshop 6 program at hand but don't have a clue as to what i'am doing.

UKVoodoo
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by UKVoodoo »

Ive found this site to be very very helpful in repainting, also Garry Smiths repaints are nothing short of astounding for aircraft too

http://www.gjsmith.net/Tutorial/tutorials.htm

hope it helps
Matt

Bridon Bear
The Ministry

Post by Bridon Bear »

I asked basically a very similar question some weeks ago and now I have uploaded a few repaints of my own. The way I did it was to first of all get fully aquainted as much as you can with your chosen paint program. I see that you use Photoshop 6 which is a good start.

Get Au Fait with the layers procedures and learn how to make selections etc and you are well on the way... :thumbsup:

Next thing I did was to read as many tutorials as I could download...some are better to understand than others but they all arrive at the same end eventually. Then download DXT.bmp (a free proggy from Martin Wright) plus a few paint kits and open them up with photoshop and click on the various layers turning them on and off to understand what happens etc.

Doing this will soon get you into the workings of the paint kits and then start by making a small change to one part...say the colour and see how it looks privately in your sim. Experiment with other changes even the registration letters and before long your confidence will develop and you too will be producing your first repaint.

We all started this way...learning the hard way by trial and error....that is the best way to understand what does what and as you will see from the date of my first posting asking a very similar question to you......it can be achieved in a reasonably short time depending on your determination to succeed.

Best of luck and do have a go.

Regards.

Bridon Bear :wink:

'Only Birds and Fools Fly'

http://thethriftysquirrels.co.uk

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Good advice there from BB.

That is the best way....just reading tutorials could make it seem harder than it is

Just play around with and existing see what it does and refer to the tutorials as you go

As Brian says the best way is to change serials or perhaps the colour of the striping.

You will soon get to see not only what happens but why it happens..then ther will be no stopping you :lol:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Captain Pugwash
Lightning
Lightning

Post by Captain Pugwash »

many thanks for the advice, have started to play around with photoshop 6. changing colours and adding bits. next i'll try to get the results back to fs and see what a muck i've made.

RAF_Quantum
The Gurus

Post by RAF_Quantum »

Dave,

Get yourself the demo version of FS Repaint to view your efforts. It reads the aircraft.cfg's and displays the aircraft as a list for you to select. You don't have to convert any files to view in FSRepaint but you do in FS9. Saves heaps of time. Thanks to GR for pointing me this way many moons ago now it seems.

http://www.abacuspub.com/fsd/catalog/s531.htm
DEMO Version. The Demo version is identical to the full version of FS Repaint except that you cannot save the aircraft textures. You'll be able to see your modifications in the FS Repaint 3D window, but you will not be able to fly the repainted aircraft. Download and install the Demo version AbacusFSRepaintDemo.exe (4.5MB).

Rgds

John

Jason32
Trident
Trident

Post by Jason32 »

New version of FSRepaint is now available, V2 for Fs2004 and wait for it...

FSX!

If you purchased the original FS Repaint V1 after November 1, 2006 and have *Proof of purchase, you can upgrade to the new FS Repaint V2 for FREE. The FS Repaint V2 upgrade is available for download delivery only.

CBris
Meteor
Meteor

Post by CBris »

@ Captain Pugwash...

You can't go wrong with a visit to Simmers Paintshop

It's like the proverbial sweet-shop and you have free access ;)
Chris Brisland, Skype "Eagleskinner"

My Blog: http://eagleskinner.blogspot.com/