Bristol 170 Superfreighter

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Bristol 170 Superfreighter

Post by SkippyBing »

On both aircraft the French flag was painted back to front on the starboard side.
Garry was that done so it appeared as it would when attached to a flag pole? I.e. the pole is at the front of the aircraft and the flag streams back from it, US troops wear the starts and stripes on their right hand side back-to-front, as it were, for that reason.
Skip.. there can be no more noble a cause than to be able to order beer in a foreign tongue.
Well it's a basic matelot skill!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Exactly Skip

They painted them the wrong way round.....left side orientation

It should be blue leading both sides but on the starboard they have the red leading.......that is back to front for that side :)

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DelP
The Gurus

Post by DelP »

Hi folks,

I stand corrected, 'decoupez' as opposed to 'decouper', although my understanding of French grammer would mean that the former was an order and impolite, whereas 'decouper' was the general verb :dunno:

..but then, after two years in Brussels, my French is the Wallon version and probably not the proper stuff :lol:

On y va ;-)

Derek :)
'My Auntie Mabel told me I'd make a great soldier, though I don't know how 30 years working in a biscuit factory had qualified her to make that judgement.....' Eddie Nugent

Airborne Signals

markw
Comet
Comet

Post by markw »

DelP wrote:Hi folks,

I stand corrected, 'decoupez' as opposed to 'decouper', although my understanding of French grammer would mean that the former was an order and impolite, whereas 'decouper' was the general verb :dunno:

Derek :)
Not in the slightest bit relevant but in Welsh a sign indicating where to cut would have been in the command form of the verb, as road signs in Wales demonstrate, and it's just accepted that it's the way of illustrating an instruction. I wouldn't have thought the command form of French would be seen as impolite, just what is used in these situations.

Not that I imagine Cambrian BAS or Air Wales' jolly Red Dragon ATRs bothered with the emergency exit signs in Welsh!

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

I stand corrected, 'decoupez' as opposed to 'decouper', although my understanding of French grammer would mean that the former was an order and impolite, whereas 'decouper' was the general verb
Del, from my understanding of French grammar, they'd happily spend all day discussing which form of the verb to use while the aircraft burnt away in the background!

cjw50310
Viscount
Viscount

Post by cjw50310 »

At the risk of flogging un cheval mort ;-) decoupez is the formal and/or plural second person conjugation. Decoupes would be the informal and/or singular. In the south on this side of the pond, y'all decoupez would be correct usage.
When all else fails, manipulate the data.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol:

I like that version :lol: Garry.. what say you do a model with a row of Hella's and a couple of air horns on the FD roof with a Confederate flag flying when she's on the ground :rock: y'all decoupez y'hear ;-)

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Glad we'd have a flag flying.........left to BAF to paint it on it would be the wrong way round on the starboard :lol: :lol:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Cathy was asking about this so as I said on that post I would bring it up to date with the liveries painted so far:)

I will be unable to work on this until the well into the New Year, but progress will still be made by others involved

As soon as I can I will be back on to it

21 of of the 22 irframes painted in 24 paints.

I'll so it in two batches of twelve.

All the liveries are variations and all arre treated as paints.that is non are existing paints with altered titles. logos or registrations.

All the liveries here have variations

G-AMWA....First flight

G-AMWA....Test flying

G-AMWA.....In service

G-AMWB

G-AMWC

G-AMWD

G-AMWE

G-AMWF

G-ANWG

G-ANWH

G-ANWI