New carriers finally ordered?

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

rich byrne
Meteor
Meteor

New carriers finally ordered?

Post by rich byrne »

I'll believe it when I see them in service, its taken so long!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/6914788.stm

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Indeedie :roll:

Who makes those drawings?? Invincible shown from the waterline and the newbie shown from the keel :shock: Perhaps that colour drawing gives a more realistic perspective.. eg, it's about the size of a single JSF :lol:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Amazing after all these years trying to say there was no need for proper carriers they've come to their senses.

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Well Garry.. the size is right!! The published weight puts it heavier than Ark Royal IV or in real terms.. about half the size of a US Carrier. We shall see :wink:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Hot_Charlie
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Tonks wrote:Wonder where the new tankers are though... something we REALLY need!!!

Tonks :roll:
Which new tankers? :smile: Have we ever had new tankers before?

[edit]come to think of it, have we, or will the A330 be our first?

Valiants - converted
Victor - converted
Vulcan - er, converted
Tristar - ex BA etc
VC10 - not originally used for tanking/ex BA?
Last edited by Hot_Charlie on 25 Jul 2007, 21:21, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie

[Intentionally Blank]

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I'll eat my hat if the JSF can do half the work of the Harrier.

Delighted to see new carriers, but the whole concept is wrong. I just cant get it into my head why were going down the JSF route at all, it just doesn't make sense.

Maybe in 20 years time they'll re invent the Harrier as "the next big thing" :sad:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

Why do I feel 'in my water' all going to end in tears!!! I'll eat my hat (or anything else) if these things ever enter service, they are too big and expensive to survive the political climate of the UK for the time it will take to get them in service.
ATB Trev

Hot_Charlie
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Hot_Charlie »

calypsos wrote:I'll eat my hat (or anything else) if these things ever enter service
I'd buy a chocolate hat, just in case... :lol:
Charlie

[Intentionally Blank]

kit
Trident
Trident

Post by kit »

And they still have to solve the AEW problem.

I can't honestly see the AEW Sea Kings lasting that long and anyway they were always a 'stop-gap' measure. As there is only one carrier-borne AEW aircraft in production in the world now, the E-2 Hawkeye, would they handle flying off a ski-jump? I bet an E-2 isn't stressed for that kind of loading.....

I must admit to a certain vested interest here as my employers quoted to supply the catapults for the new ships, but that requirement was deleted when they went for full width ski-jumps. Apparently the structure to support the cats may be still in the plans so they could be retro-fitted later if operational needs change.
Regards
Kit

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

kit wrote:And they still have to solve the AEW problem.

I can't honestly see the AEW Sea Kings lasting that long and anyway they were always a 'stop-gap' measure. As there is only one carrier-borne AEW aircraft in production in the world now, the E-2 Hawkeye, would they handle flying off a ski-jump? I bet an E-2 isn't stressed for that kind of loading.....

I must admit to a certain vested interest here as my employers quoted to supply the catapults for the new ships, but that requirement was deleted when they went for full width ski-jumps. Apparently the structure to support the cats may be still in the plans so they could be retro-fitted later if operational needs change.
My understanding is that there were three main options, E-2 Hawkeye (probably unlikely, for the reasons you stated), and AEW Merlin development or an AEW V-22 Osprey. Must admit I DO like the sound of that last option, although an AEW Rotodyne would have been even nicer - maybe we should suggest it!! :lol:

AndyG