Installing new graphic card question

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Installing new graphic card question

Post by Nigel H-J »

Just received graphic card GForce 7800GS but on opening it there is an internal PC power y cable included, there is an attachment to the graphic card for it but my question is ( feel a bit silly asking this) where do the other two connections connect to inside the computer?

If it's any help the manual states: If card has supplemental power adapter we strongly advise that it be connected at the time of installation

Do not think this one has but there are lead connectors next to the cooling fan.

Have installed graphic cards before albeit not as powerful as this one so any help would be appreciated.

Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

Nigel, I assume (hope!!) that you have at least one spare power connector coming from your main PC power supply? You just need to attach one one end of the supplied lead to that connector and the other to the relevant socket on your card.

Give a shout if you get stuck!

AndyG

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Many thanks Andy, now sorted all done :welldone: .

Regards Nigel

hinch
VC10
VC10

Post by hinch »

don't worry, when I got my 7600GS before xmas i was straight on here asking what to do with the cable :lol:

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

If you fail to plug it in you get a nice loud siren when you switch it on :smile:
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

If you fail to plug it in you get a nice loud siren when you switch it on
Now that would have had me running to a help desk.....any helpdesk........even if that meant PC World!! :lol: :lol:

Hinch this is my first high end Graphic Card that I have had (well ....it is to me)!! As soon a I saw the cables I started to have second thoughts. :worried: :redface:

Now all I have to do is re-install FS9 tomorrow, tried it after the card was in but even when I deleted the cfg file so that FS would make a new one it was as though I had not upgraded!! :sad:

Nigel.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Nigel.... you need to configure the card!!!! You don't need to reinstall FS9.

i.e. set up the anti aliasing / buffering etc etc

The extra 1GB of memory would probably have made a more noticeable performance boost. :redface:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Oh dear...

Don't reinstall FS9 Nigel.. just go into settings/display and change them to what you like. It reverts to bog standard everytime you remake the cfg file so the good bits have to be tweaked in again. You're not my wife under another name are you?? :lol:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Ben Dave,

Unfortunately had to re-install!! :sad:

When I first deleted the cfg file everything went back to bog standard as you said Dave and no, this is not your wife under an assumed name writing this!! :lol: :lol: She must have more common sense than me, surely!! :roll: :lol: When I ran FS9 the frame rates were down to 19!! and that was after tweaking the card to high performance and a few other changes.

Just finished installing FS to the basic settings (no tweaks or add-ons yet as presently on duty) but the difference was noticable straight away the graphics are 100% on what they used to be.

Will be doing the full set up in the morning but then out in the afternoon, should hopefully post results of the card Saturday night or early Sunday afternoon.

Nigel.