Shuttleworth's Sea Hurricane

The place to request or publish repaints for Classic British Aircraft. Please note... no FICTIONAL livery requests!

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry, The Painters

Bridon Bear
The Ministry

Shuttleworth's Sea Hurricane

Post by Bridon Bear »

Here is my latest repaint for SkyUnlimiteds' excellant Payware Hawker Hurricane....this one is for DaveB (currently in tropical Cornwall :bandit: ) It depicts the well known Shuttleworth Collection's Sea Hurricane (G-BKTH) Z7015.......Added a teeny bit of 'sheen' as per the full size.

I know there is no arrestor hook on this model but a bit of 'Artistic Licence' I feel is probably acceptable..... :wink:

This aircraft was built by Canadian Car & Foundry at its Fort William, Ontario, plant during 1940 as a Mk I, after flight testing Z7015 was shipped to the UK. On June 27 1941 it was converted to Sea Hurricane Ib standard. Z7015 had a patchy wartime flying career, which ended in 1943, when it was delivered to Loughborough College as an instructional airframe. It remained there until it was transferred to the Shuttleworth Collection in 1961. Z7015 was used statically in the 'Battle of Britain' film, before restoration to flying condition began. Several attempts to restore the aircraft were made, until in 1981, Z7015 was transferred to Duxford and another restoration was started, this time by the Duxford Aviation Society. This restoration was progressing slowly until a formal agreement was reached between the Imperial War Museum and the Shuttleworth Collection, which meant that the same team that had restored the Collection's Spitfire would restore Z7015. The renewed restoration started in earnest in February 1986, and led to the first flight of the Worlds ONLY Sea Hurricane Ib, in the hands of pilot Andy Sephton, on September 16 1995.

With such an interesting history that is well documented, I had to do it.....uploaded to the usual sites....should appear sometime tomorrow.

Hope you like it.

Regards.

Bridon Bear :wink:

Off to yet another Airshow....

In 'between' the Weather.

At rest at the 'Home' base.

'Somewhere over Bedfordshire'

'Only Birds and Fools Fly'

http://thethriftysquirrels.co.uk

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Looks very good BB :thumbsup:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Bridon Bear
The Ministry

Post by Bridon Bear »

Thanks for that Garry......It is up at 'The Pond' now.....the other sites tomorrow.....off to get an early night now :sleepy:

Regards.

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

I knew it was worth buying that Hurri, super job again Brian :thumbsup:
ATB Trev

nazca_steve
Concorde
Concorde
Location: South Orange County, California (ex-pat from Cambs.)

Post by nazca_steve »

Hello Brian, lovely repaint there, right down to the weathering and paint chips around the cockpit entrance panel - What green is that you used, out of curiosity?

Steve

Steven Beeny, repainter and modeller. New Canberra series for FS9 out now.
http://www.flyingstations.com

Bridon Bear
The Ministry

Post by Bridon Bear »

Hi Steve,

I had trouble getting the right shade for this one as the only ref were umpteen colour photos on sites such as Airliners etc....many of which showed many variations to the colours due to late afternoon lighting and other problems.

In the end, I selected the closest photo that I felt 'Looked Right' and opened it up in Photoshop and used the eyedropper tool to get the values from several points on the aircraft.

I ended up with RGB 118,114,87 for the Green and the Dark Grey was RGB 92,96,102

As mentioned elswhere on this forum, the thing with FS is that it tends to alter the colour just a tad so a few experiments are the order of the day to get the look you want.

I enjoyed weathering this one...although it is a museum piece and gets more lavish attention than a real Hurricane would get in wartime, the aircraft is still very much 'Operational' therefore a few dings and scrapes are inevitable. Besides...I think realism is the key and I try to make my aircraft look slightly used and not too clinical. Always bearing in mind that it is easy to 'cross the line' and go too far with it... :shock:

Thank you for your kind comments and I am pleased that it is being so well received.

Regards.

kit
Trident
Trident

Post by kit »

Brian,

Brilliant job, especially liked the third shot on the ground at Shuttleworth. SO real I found myself trying to recognise the spectators in the background...... :redface:
Regards
Kit

nazca_steve
Concorde
Concorde
Location: South Orange County, California (ex-pat from Cambs.)

Post by nazca_steve »

Bridon Bear wrote:Hi Steve,

I ended up with RGB 118,114,87 for the Green and the Dark Grey was RGB 92,96,102
Hello Brian,

I stopped in my friendly neighbourhood paintshop for some research on FAA/RAF colours and found these which might be the exact match you are looking for:

Light Slate Grey: (Maritime upper surfaces, overside, lower wings, "shadow shading' FAA aircraft)

115, 122, 108 or #737A6C

and

Extra Dark Sea Grey: (Maritime upper surfaces, Temperate sea scheme (FAA)

103, 108, 150 or #676C73

yours are fine by the way, but since I know how tricky it can be eyedropping the right portion of colour from variously-lit photos, the swatches on this site can be a real life-saver:

http://www.simmerspaintshop.com/page-RGB-colors-UK.html

Keep up the good work,

Steve

Steven Beeny, repainter and modeller. New Canberra series for FS9 out now.
http://www.flyingstations.com

Bridon Bear
The Ministry

Post by Bridon Bear »

Handy site that one Steve I found them very helpful when I started to do repaints. Not having seen the Shuttleworth aircraft 'In the Flesh' so to speak...just photos were a little difficult and using the correct RGB colours for FAA aircraft of the period looked so different to my eyes to the one I was trying to emulate....I resorted to the 'eyedropper' method... :wink:

Research is the key with all repaints as you know.....I am afraid that I hoard a load of stuff here both book form and digital reference bits and bobs so whenever we go by a charity shop or visit a boot sale....I am always keeping an eye out for anything good.

The now out of print Profile Publications used to be good and I knew someone who had the whole collection on DVD.....always promised to let me hve a copy but sadly it never materialised.....he lived in Australia and recent contact by emails are not reaching him... :dunno:

Never mind...I shall keep my eyes open and thank you for your kind comments on the Hurricane, much appreciated.

Regards.

Bridon Bear

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Shuttleworth's Sea Hurricane

Post by DaveB »

Hi Brian..

Just got back off my hols and the second thing I've done (the first trying to catch up on 2 weeks worth of chat on here!!) is download the 7L paint. Lovely jubbly sir.. a thousand thanks ;-)

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!