Fairey Gannet AS.1/6 COD.4 W.I.P.

The place to request or publish repaints for Classic British Aircraft. Please note... no FICTIONAL livery requests!

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry, The Painters

nazca_steve
Concorde
Concorde
Location: South Orange County, California (ex-pat from Cambs.)

Fairey Gannet AS.1/6 COD.4 W.I.P.

Post by nazca_steve »

Hello all,

in the downtime between the release of the new Canberra models, I have decided to work on the Fairey Gannet model by Kazunori Ito. Here are a few pics on the work in progress: still a few more details to add and some more schemes to do. The biggest problem I'm having is the prop - since I enabled reflective textures, it shows up a bizarre white sheen that looks horrible - I tried replacing it with a default prop from FS2004 but am having the same problem...any ideas anyone?

Here are some static shots:

Last edited by nazca_steve on 28 Aug 2007, 23:58, edited 1 time in total.

Steven Beeny, repainter and modeller. New Canberra series for FS9 out now.
http://www.flyingstations.com

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Fairey Gannet ASW3 W.I.P.

Post by Filonian »

No idea re the prop textures Steve, but the repaints are certainly on my "must download" list. :thumbsup: :welldone:

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

That looks the business Steve, I think some 60's RN A.I. will look a treat on the Ark Royal!
ATB Trev

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Steve

I had a similar props thing when I moved the 170 into FSDS3 and the textures were still named for FSDS2......the reflection is handled differently.

You mentioned enabling reflective, was the model not supporting reflective......perhaps you shouldn't.

One little point is perhap it might be better turning off the lights before traking screen shots as the lights don't fold up with the wings :$

Nice paint :) ..pity about the inflatable flying surfaces :'(

ATB

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Echo your final comment there Garry :'( Inflatable control surfaces have become his trade mark haven't they and it's a darned shame. I'm not sure exactly what causes it (smoothing groups??) but every single model of his is the same. How much better they'd look done differently. He'd lose the 'Lada' tag and increase his already extensive following to a point where more folk would actually fly the models rather than have them for AI.

Nice to see the Gannet again anyway ;-)

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Dave

I think that is smoothing groups..it's one of the easiest yet most effective actions to take in such cases.

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Tks Garry ;-) It's just so frustrating.. as bad if not worse than steel hawser AE wires :brick:

ATB

ImageImage

Quixoticish
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Quixoticish »

What happened to the Gannet that was a work in progress over at (I believe) Sim Outhouse?

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

Chris H wrote:What happened to the Gannet that was a work in progress over at (I believe) Sim Outhouse?
Pretty much nothing, as I understand it! It was originally an Aeroplane Heaven project, but Bazzar has admitted that he is unlikely to ever finish it - the external modelling was about 90% complete, but the VC needed a whole heap of work. There was talk over at the Outhouse, a while back, about completing it as a SOH project as they did with the A-26 but I'm not sure anything ever came of it! :dunno:

I know at least two people who have copies of the source files (EDIT after DB's post, three people), but whether they have taken it any further I couldn't say. It would be nice to think that we could take it on as a CBFSIM project, but all of our experienced modellers are up to their eyes in work so that's pretty much a non-runner.

AndyG
Last edited by AndyG on 20 Aug 2007, 14:27, edited 1 time in total.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Not sure Chris. I believe Jan Visser has one WIP which could be from the same source files (donated as the project wasn't going to get completed). From the shots I remember seeing, it certainly looked the part and on the strength of them.. a-n-other project stopped.

ATB

ImageImage