Fairey Gannet AS.1/6 COD.4 W.I.P.

The place to request or publish repaints for Classic British Aircraft. Please note... no FICTIONAL livery requests!

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry, The Painters

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Fairey Gannet ASW3 W.I.P.

Post by DaveB »

An interesting link there Steve ;-)

As you say, some of the swatches don't match my particular (and I guess yours too) idea of what a particular colour should be and I noted the disclaimer refering to monitor/printer setup. Difficult to tell with any certainty but I do fancy 633 as being close. I'm just not sure it looks blue enough :roll: That said.. look at the Antrims Wessex again and you can almost imagine it being right can't you!! Grey.. yes. Black grey.. no. Blue grey.. well, not enough looking at that Wessex :lol:

TBH mate.. I'd be inclined to go for a compromise between the two as FS will probably throw up a different variation anyway and you can guarantee temp variations in monitors will add to the confusion :roll: What I really need is someone to look at the FD and make it so that FD3 doesn't think the darned thing is a taildragger :brick: The model doesn't fly that bad and the panel isn't the worst I've seen. Just FD3 is the sticking point at the moment (as well as Kaz himself as the bits that should work don't under generic FS9 keystrokes) ;-)

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

nazca_steve
Concorde
Concorde
Location: South Orange County, California (ex-pat from Cambs.)

Post by nazca_steve »

Yep, I think you may have said the final word on the colour issue, Dave. Colour can be a complete b***er sometimes, especially in my line of work we have that problem a lot - matching print colour swatches to online cols etc. I doubt it's going to spot on accurate, plus we can always use our imaginations and attribute any 'wrong' shades to fading :)

Can't help you on the FD3 issue, perhaps some over in the Dev corner can help here...

Steven Beeny, repainter and modeller. New Canberra series for FS9 out now.
http://www.flyingstations.com

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Rgr that Steve ;-)

Re FD3..
Well.. there are ways around it. I can always use one of the other 'Carrier' progs (rcbo tollerates tail draggers I'm told) but it seems a shame to have to load yet another prog just for this aircraft :-( FD3 will 'catch' the only other taildragger I use (the Alpha Swordfish) and I don't really need a cat for that. Just open the gas and she's off before the end of the angled deck :lol:

You paint what you feel is best mate and we'll download it anyway ;-)

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Techy111
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Techy111 »

I agree with Dave on this Steve.....we could be chasing our tails for ever on this trying to get the "perfect colour" but i feel in FS it will never be spot on so go with what you got and i am sure the downloads of the Gannet with your new schemes will more than justify the hard work you have put into this :)

B****r it just paint the ugly cow yellow :)

Techy
The last surviving and complete Vickers Vanguard....."Superb"
ImageImageImage

nazca_steve
Concorde
Concorde
Location: South Orange County, California (ex-pat from Cambs.)

Post by nazca_steve »

Paint her yellow? That's your job with that Bucc, Techy old pal! :lol: Seriously though, cheers for the kind words. It has been fun doing the 'geek thing' and hunting down what we can on this colour issue, God knows it helped me kill about an hour total at work today surfing the net and posting on here. That's why I love this hobby - it's like a dog that bites and won't let go. :o Neverthless, as you've both said, I think we'll manage with whatever shade of blue grey I go with, so keep your eyes on the POnd for the files when they're finished.

Aquamarine blue it is then, right chaps? :thumbsup:

Steve

Steven Beeny, repainter and modeller. New Canberra series for FS9 out now.
http://www.flyingstations.com

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

I know this might not help, but I seem to remember a colour called 'Midnight Blue' being used on the FAA Skyraiders of only a few years before these COD Gannets.
ATB Trev

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Trev

From what I can remember of the Airfix paint called midnight blue that sounds close

A dark blue but with a greyness to it..........sort of cold.

British Airways Landor replaced the BOAC type blue in use until then with Midnight and it was markedly different to the previous red tail livery blue.

Might be worth a look at a toned down version of BA landor blue.......won't do any harm :think:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Seaking
VC10
VC10

Post by Seaking »

Don't know if this will help any, found this site on the Ark Royal long time ago, it has an actual pic of the Ark's COD on launch

http://lionels.orpheusweb.co.uk/AirSea/ ... Ark11.html
AsusP5Q mobo P45 Chipset
QX6850 extreme 3ghz running at 3.6
4 gig OCZ DDR2 1066Mhz PC8500
XFX 8800GTS 512 G92Engine

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

Does anybody here still plastic model and/or have IPMS Membership? Back in the day I would have contacted the relevant SIG, or the technical advisory team, which usually produced a definitive answer in very short order.

Just a thought!

Andy

Seaking
VC10
VC10

Post by Seaking »

How bout this for the correct color, pic is small but shows scheme well I think, hope it helps

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk ... vilton.jpg
AsusP5Q mobo P45 Chipset
QX6850 extreme 3ghz running at 3.6
4 gig OCZ DDR2 1066Mhz PC8500
XFX 8800GTS 512 G92Engine