Fairey Gannet AS.1/6 COD.4 W.I.P.

The place to request or publish repaints for Classic British Aircraft. Please note... no FICTIONAL livery requests!

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry, The Painters

nazca_steve
Concorde
Concorde
Location: South Orange County, California (ex-pat from Cambs.)

Re: Fairey Gannet ASW3 W.I.P.

Post by nazca_steve »

Garry Russell wrote:Hi Steve

I had a similar props thing when I moved the 170 into FSDS3 and the textures were still named for FSDS2......the reflection is handled differently.

You mentioned enabling reflective, was the model not supporting reflective......perhaps you shouldn't.

One little point is perhap it might be better turning off the lights before traking screen shots as the lights don't fold up with the wings :$

Nice paint :) ..pity about the inflatable flying surfaces :'(

ATB

Garry
Yes Garry, I think you are quite right about the reflective texturing issue, I will disable it and that should take of the problem - this isn't a major drawback as from my research the overall finish was a satin anyway and not that reflective. A bit of a shame, but much better than having a bizarre-looking prop.
And yes, I noticed the light issue too late, but then again these are W.I.P. shots and not really gallery material if you know what I mean, I just wanted to give people an idea of the scheme as it comes along. There is still a bit more work to be done on panelling and such like.

Agreed on the model's lesser points, really the ailerons etc. are the tip of the iceburg if we really want to get into it, as the nose cone is incorrectly shaped, windows are missing and several other details. Unless this Jan Visser model gets finished, this may be the best we have to work with.

Steven Beeny, repainter and modeller. New Canberra series for FS9 out now.
http://www.flyingstations.com

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Fair enough Steve

Personally I think this programme that changes reflectivity on the models is a very very bad thing. :-(

It can bite back in cases like this but above all I don't think it's right to fiddle with the model. :worried:

Just my opinion though :-#

Shame you don't have a better canvass for your paints but as you say limited choice.

At least any created crests or work like that could be pulled into a new models maps if one comes about.

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

ukmil
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ukmil »

if the source is gmax, then we could have a go

otherwise, we could try and convert this one, but it needs work

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Who's Gannet is that DC?

Garry
Garry

nazca_steve
Concorde
Concorde

Post by nazca_steve »

That looks like a Silverwings model http://freespace.virgin.net/pbratt.home ... %20C4D.htm

I believe those models are for sale.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I don't know how easy it would be to convert them to FS but what a prce for models that are not very accurate......well the ones I know about and looked at are not.

Thanks for the link Steve :)

Garry
Garry

ukmil
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ukmil »

indeed it is

they are 3ds models, but we are able to convert them into FS models. they take a fair amount of conversion tho, but it looks a fair model to base it on

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

AW 660 in that lot as well ;-)

Garry
Garry

nazca_steve
Concorde
Concorde

Post by nazca_steve »

Yes indeed it would be nice to have that one, but you run into the issue of rights-management if you buy it from them...I'm not sure how that would work exactly. Saying you converted it from 3DS to FS, does that make it a freeware model for public distribution? Something to look into maybe. On the other hand, if someone wanted to do a new build, I have a lot of superb reference photos to work from, it's just the time going into the project as usual.

For now I'm going to knock out a few more repaints and then call it a day on this one, as the interest understandably seems more with a newer model.

Steve

Quixoticish
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Quixoticish »

nazca_steve wrote:Yes indeed it would be nice to have that one, but you run into the issue of rights-management if you buy it from them...I'm not sure how that would work exactly. Saying you converted it from 3DS to FS, does that make it a freeware model for public distribution? Something to look into maybe. On the other hand, if someone wanted to do a new build, I have a lot of superb reference photos to work from, it's just the time going into the project as usual.

For now I'm going to knock out a few more repaints and then call it a day on this one, as the interest understandably seems more with a newer model.

Steve
I know plenty of payware companies who purchase these kinds of models and then produce payware packages for them and I've never heard any talk of royalties for the model owner (although I may be wrong) so I assume they are sold with a "do whatever you want as long as you don't redistribute the source model" license or something similar.