Burning DVD's Nero 6

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Bridon Bear
The Ministry

Burning DVD's Nero 6

Post by Bridon Bear »

Hi,

Strange problem just recently happening. I have a load of files as we all do and from time to time I burn them all in respective groups onto a DVD for storage. I have been doing this for 2-3 years with no problems whatsoever using the same DVD several times until it is full (Multisession) I must have dozens of these DVD's and have never had a problem. However, I burnt some files onto a DVD as normal and a few days later I went to add some more and noticed that the last lot I put on there were not there.... :dunno: The total size of visible folders was less than 150meg but looking at the disc info in Nero it told me that there were 7 multisession with a total disc capacity so far used of 1,240 meg......so why cannot the files recently added be seen let alone retreived.

I thought that the loss of files was down to a 'Senior moment' and that I was mistaken in thinking that I had actually burnt them.. :worried: but the multisession log told me otherwise. The mystery is that I have never had this problem before until now...multisession worked perfectly and the disc could be read in any computer, so any ideas why this has happened?.....I suspect that my 'Lost' files are never going to be retreived... :-( The discs used are always a good brand (Verbatim) the write speed is 4x and the Nero used is 6. 0. 18. WinXP is to O/S.....any clues would be helpful here.

Regards.

Bridon Bear

'Only Birds and Fools Fly'

http://thethriftysquirrels.co.uk

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Burning DVD's Nero 6

Post by cstorey »

Not a lot of help to you, perhaps, but I have had similar problems with nero on XP, for no apparent reason, where it would not recognise the disc to be written to. Try reloading your nero software, and if that fails, try downloading a freeware burner such as CD Burner XP Pro3

Sl4yer
Trident
Trident

Post by Sl4yer »

Have you tried the disk in another drive or computer?

And do you always verify after burning?

James

Bridon Bear
The Ministry

Post by Bridon Bear »

Thanks for the suggestions....glad to hear that others have experienced it.... ;-) I will try the re-install method and see what happens....it has got me a bit foxed....at the stage where it could be one of many things...Corrupt software needing a re-install....DVD Burner on the blink....Faulty Disc(s)....or the old problem being an XP thing.

I have also sent off the details of the problem to NERO....their reply may be interesting....will let you know.

BTW....in answer to the 2nd post, I have tried the disc on another PC and the same....never have verified a disc as it always worked before.... :dunno:

Regards.

Bridon Bear

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi BB

Just to join the others I get part used disks that suddendly read as 0 on dis or sometime no disk, but more comonly burn failed..............always at the 50 percent mark.

Sometime putting them back in will get then reading properly but not often

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

One of the best burning products I've come across is MagicISO.

Its not for those who need a Fisher Price front end, but has lots of functionalitu and format support, and for £16.00 is the mutts nutts. :thumbsup: :cpu:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DelP
The Gurus

Post by DelP »

Also...try 'Isobuster' or 'CDRoller' to crack open those 'empty' discs....both payware.

http://www.isobuster.com/

http://www.cdroller.com/

Derek ;-)
'My Auntie Mabel told me I'd make a great soldier, though I don't know how 30 years working in a biscuit factory had qualified her to make that judgement.....' Eddie Nugent

Airborne Signals

Bridon Bear
The Ministry

Post by Bridon Bear »

luckily the files are not crucial and I have copies elsewhere but the suspect is the burner it seems...on putting in a disc ....even a blank one the little green light flashes whilst reading for nigh on 2 minutes...early warning methinks and time to upgrade it... :o

It is older than I realised....a 4x Liteon that has been in the machine from the start...... :$

New one ordered and should be here on Monday.. ;-)

Thanks for the inputs lads.

Regards.

Bridon Bear