It wasn't me Officer.......Honest!!

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

It wasn't me Officer.......Honest!!

Post by Nigel H-J »

Never thought that it would happen but now it has.........it has left me fuming!!!!!! :@ :@

Not going to give the location for obvious reasons but just received a notice of intended prosecution for a speeding offence .........Just one slight problem, our car and moi were many miles away from the alleged offence, in fact, I was on duty at the time and fortunately can produce photo evidence of our car and myself with times and date as well as if necessary, statements from colleagues.

What really rattles me though is that this b*st*ard is driving around the country with a cloned VRN............MINE!!!!

I have already contacted the Police Authority of that area and they have now put a marker on their PNC, in the meantime I just hope he or she does not commit a serious offence whilst using my number plates. :worried:

Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: It wasn't me Officer.......Honest!!

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

This must happen a lot Nigel as I remember something similar happening when I had a pub in Havering. One of our locals was driving up the hill toward the pub when he noticed something odd about the car in front of him. It had his VRN!! He was so shocked, he pulled in for a beer :lol: All he could do is what you've done.. notify the boys in blue :)

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

HANG THE B*ST**DS.!Do us all a favour.My wife thinks that I am getting a bit intolerant as I get older but She's WRONG!!!! EricT :roll:
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

Sorry to hear of this Nigel but it does happen quite frequently now. Hope it gets sorted out mate.. ;-)
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image

johnhinson
Victor
Victor

Post by johnhinson »

Nigel H-J wrote:Never thought that it would happen but now it has.........it has left me fuming!!!!!! :@ :@

Not going to give the location for obvious reasons but just received a notice of intended prosecution for a speeding offence .........Just one slight problem, our car and moi were many miles away from the alleged offence, in fact, I was on duty at the time and fortunately can produce photo evidence of our car and myself with times and date as well as if necessary, statements from colleagues.

What really rattles me though is that this b*st*ard is driving around the country with a cloned VRN............MINE!!!!

I have already contacted the Police Authority of that area and they have now put a marker on their PNC, in the meantime I just hope he or she does not commit a serious offence whilst using my number plates. :worried:

Nigel.
I had similar, had a big fight with the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham who had "proof" of my being in a bus lane, or parked on crossing zigzags (depending which letter you read) but it wasn't a fake registration of course but just a mis-read photograph. What I don't like is the fact that you are guilty unless proven innocent - at the time I hadn't driven my car for months owing to prolonged illness but they weren't interested. Eventually, they asked me to submit a copy of the V5C to prove my car wasn't a black Ford (at my expense of course) and eventually I got a non-apologetic letter saying the charges had been dropped. As it is a very dark blue Ford I thought it best not to send a photo . . .

So be patient, because they probably will cave in, and try not to get uptight because you won't get compensated for your stress or costs.

Allegedly:
50% of drivers consider themselves conscientious drivers
but 75% of drivers admit to regularly flouting speed limits
less than 1% make a concerted effort to comply with speed limits
. . . so you are in the minority!

John

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Many thanks for all your comments and support, just hope that no one else has to suffer the same.

John, I am already bracing myself for further letters of 'intent'. It can be very frustrating having to deal with various Authorities as those in their employment often have an attitude of "That's your problem....Not mine".

Had this with one town when I parked my motor-bike in a council run car park, duly paid for the ticket, placed the ticket on the bike as per instructions and when I returned.......No ticket apart from a penalty notice for £25!! :@

Cutting a long story short and after many letters to the council who were adamant that I would have to pay the fine I then told them to go ahead and prosecute me through the courts as my argument would be that I had done exactly as per the instructions...........placing the ticket where it can clearly be seen i.e on the motor bike.

My argument would have been:

It cannot be deemed my responsibility for the security of that ticket as any-one is able remove it from the motor-bike unlike a car which can be securely locked. The council had failed to provide a secure deposit box whereby a motorcyclist can write down the VRN of the bike on the ticket and deposit the ticket in a secure box which is only accessable by key by the attendant who would then be able to verify that such payment had been made.

They backed down.

Nigel.

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

The attitude of the government and local authorties to motorists is the ultimate hypocrasy.They put all sorts of obstacles in the motorists way i.e. speed bumps,bus lanes,speed cameras,road pinched off at bus stops etc,etc,etc.They claim to be playing the green card supposedly encouraging us all to use public transport (just like they do!!!)whereas in reality they need the extortionate taxes that they screw out of us to fund their protected pensions and politically correct spending.For example, how long did the fuel protests last in 2000 before the treasury(read government)caved in.They just couldn't stand the loss of fuel tax.Anyway I've got my bus pass now so Bo**ocks to them.There,I feel better now.EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

You lucky burger Eric!! :lol: But then again, a free bus pass for me in four years time would do no good at all as I work nights and public transport when I finish my shift don't operate.

What really makes me cross and I know this is changing the subject from the original thread but just can't help it :roll: is that this Government will increase taxes on fuel to penalise motorists for polluting the atmosphere. I just wonder what benefits they will actually reap towards reducing carbon emmissions by doing this (apart from filling their own coffers) for it would make no significant change to the amount of vehicles on our roads as there is no real alternative for many who live in rural areas that are not provided by regular public transport, those who are disabled or chronically sick and those who are on low incomes but need their cars for work. All are all going to be financially penalised.

One way to try to reduce the amount of cars in the towns and cities would be to:

1.) Allow public transport to have zero rated VAT on fuel as well as a reduced road fund license but in doing so the fares must be reduced accordingly to encourage use of public transport as the price of a bus ticket practically outweighs the price it costs in petrol for a car to travel locally into the centres. The Government won't as it would mean they would have to make a financial sacrifice though they are happy if the motorist has to pay more!!

2.) All towns and cities should have Park and Ride on all major routes into the city with a regular service into the centres, unless this option is available then no Council should be able to implement a road charging scheme.

Sorry for the rant but it was Erics' post that started it!! :lol: :lol:

Nigel.

Brian Franklin
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Brian Franklin »

Last year I was victim of identity theft and had my credit card details used over a short period of time. The cheeky B**GER even paid his London congestion charges AND parking fines with it! I thought 'They've got him now' having paid such personal things as that but no.. even the VRN on the car in question (a BMW) was false.