Some fantastic images can be found here

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

RAF_Quantum
The Gurus

Some fantastic images can be found here

Post by RAF_Quantum »

Hi,

I stumbled across this site this morning and thought I'd share it with you. Images are thumbnails but if you subscribe (pay) you can get full size images. It is all Scottish orientated but there is some fantastic old stuff here. Try entering Airways, Airlines, Aviation or anything else that you think may give you the required results and you will find heaps of stuff. There is some overlap with the search results and in order to load fewer pages, select 96 images from the search options.

http://www.scran.ac.uk/?PHPSESSID=2r1b3 ... jff58g1mq2

Also this site, I believe, uses the same database but has a fuller description of the images.

http://www.rls.org.uk/search/full.php?P ... 4hu38dsra1

Enjoy.

Rgds

John

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Re: Some fantastic images can be found here

Post by DispatchDragon »

I had a blast thumbing through it last night John, thank you

however did you accidently leave a clue as to what your first foray into the world of model building might be????

The search engine, when I went to the link, defaults to the word "Beaufighter" for some strange reason

Leif

RAF_Quantum
The Gurus

Post by RAF_Quantum »

Hi leif,

No, not a Beaufighter, thought I'd try this little tinker :

It'll be a while before I even get started with it whilst I get to grips with modelling a box!

Rgds

John

Techy111
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Techy111 »

What the hell is that...... :dunno: .....Looks like the daddy of the Skyvan? Or Mammy?

Tony
The last surviving and complete Vickers Vanguard....."Superb"
ImageImageImage

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

That is a Miles Aerovan and it did influence the design of the Skyvan which was seen as a more modern answer to that type.

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

AllanL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AllanL »

Isn't that a Miles Aerovan (or some such)? If so there is a model for fs9 - with a Rob Walker Racing Cooper in the back IIRC. Mind you anything that slows down John's warp factor dash through British DC-3s might give us snail pace crayoners a half chance. :lol:

I did have a look at the Westpoint schemes, but decided to leave them for John. :roll:

Meantime I might have a stab at Gibair or the similarly pale blue stripe Air Luton over the next few days, if John doesn't get there first - or the snail that keeps overtaking me as I read the help files for PSP8. Then I might move on to some of those fancy curve doo-hickey lines. I do have a couple of obscure Avro York schemes or some Rapides to play with if the DC-3 market dries up!

I'm sure someone out there will know what the strange beast on the tail of the Air Luton G-AMHJ is? Some kind of mythological Greek/Persian creature perhaps.

Funnily enough it never crossed my mind that scran wasn't known to everyone, as I came across it when trying to find out about the Scottish Airlines Rapide schemes (black and white as mentioned elsewhere), well that's parochialism for you.

Well there you go Garry beat me to it. :roll:

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

John

Dont fret seeing your paint jobs you'll do far better than me with it - Im still fighting over the fuselage for the Chilton Monoplane :) Good luck mate

Leif

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

An Aerovan was being made by one of our Guru's.. Sav Maurri, who mysteriously went off radar.. much to our dismay :'( I'm sure you'll do it justice John ;-)

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

No worries John.....once you managed to make your box you be almost there :)

Are you doing it in Gmax?

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

RAF_Quantum
The Gurus

Post by RAF_Quantum »

Hi Garry,

Jury not out yet re prog. I've got GMAX set up (I think) ready for FS9 and have been looking at some of the tut's that are available. I've also got FSDS. Reading all the comments on here FSDS seems the easier route but GMAX seems ultimately to be the most owerful tool to use. Not having learned either, GMAX seems the logical way to go. When I first started repaints, PSP was making me pull my hair out and I nearly went for an easier prog. Now, I'm very comfortable with PSP althought I'm sure I've only scratched the surface of it's capabilities. So, for the time being I think I will be starting in GMAX but if it becomes too much of a stumbling block then I can fall back on FSDS.

Allan, I'll take Air Luton off my list. If you decide against it let me know. Re the tail logo, it's an odd one and you'll probably have to 'scratch build it'. Find the best pic you can and scale it to approx the same size as the fin/rudder on the DC3 bmp file. Straighten it and then start tracing around it on a new Vector layer which will become your logo. I would make it just with the blue so you neeed to trace around all the white bits 'inside' so that when you place the image on the tail, the white 'base coat' on the tail remains visible behind the blue. Doing it that way, the white will look more uniform to the rest of the white on the aircraft. Once you are happy with your tracings etc, hide the background and then copy the image to clipboard and repaste as new image. In new image select 'mirror' so that it reverses itself and then copy again. The image is now ready to paste into your DC3 repaint file. You'll need to paste two images as it has to be applied in two halves. The reason for this will become obvious if you try and use a complete image to span the fin and the rudder. The mapping used scales the rudder slightly large and moves it in relation to the fin. Take the image you want to use as the fin first and position it where you want it, then use the erase tool to get rid of the overlap onto the rudder. Likewise with the rudder, posititon it where you want it and then erase the bits that overlap onto the fin. Don't worry about being too exact here as there is a fair bit of overlap between the two that will not appear on the aircraft and you don't want to take too much off. Using the image you positioned on the fin, adjust the rudder image so that it all lines up. You will have to shrink the image slightly as it is scaled up slightly when it appears on the rudder if left as original size.

Rgds

John