JM's New - 146

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Re: JM's New - 146

Post by AndyG »

calypsos wrote:Thanks for those shots John, we have been missing a good HS146 for too long now!
DH146 Trev, surely. ;-)

I was relieved to see mention of FS9 betas, so JM hasn't abandoned us poor primitives after all. :welldone:

Andy

Chris558
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris558 »

AndyG wrote:
calypsos wrote:Thanks for those shots John, we have been missing a good HS146 for too long now!
DH146 Trev, surely. ;-)
Andy
DH had long gone by the early '70s when the 146 was first conceived.

Sorry, but is this payware or freeware?

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Chris

Yup DH had long gone it was started as the HS.146...but I think that was a bit of humour :lol:

This is freeware to be released via HJG :)

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Actually chaps, Andy is correct, it was DH146. The number 146 comes from DeHavilland design number 146, so even though it may have been HS it was acutally in the Dehavilland design boolk, no.146, hence the DH146. ;-)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Chris558
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris558 »

We stand corrected! :) It is amazing what you learn round 'ere!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Nope :worried:

The HS.146, never DH.146 was designed by HS Hatfiled which was the old DH and had carried on the sequence, but that does not make it a DH. It was started about ten years or so after DH ceased to be as such.

In another example the Nimrod based on the very DH Comet was proposed and built by the former Avro team and took an Avro sequence follow on (HS.801) but it was never the Avro Nimrod even though it was far closer to the time Avro/DH dissappered than the HS.146 ever was. :fart:

As I mentioned yesterday I took it more as a lighthearted comment rather than historical fact. ;-)

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Sorry Garry, but... the design book used by HS at hatfield was the original De Havilland design book (this is well documented) Although it was hawker siddeley, its design number was DH146, and hence the reason the aircraft became known as the 146. had it not been fo DH it would have been called something completely different. The newer aircraft were only known as Avro RJxxx when production was switched from Hatfield to Woodford to coincide with the new cockpit / avionics.

It may be me being pedantic, but had it not been for DH, it would never have been called the 146. ;-)

ImageImageImage

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

Sorry! :$

It was a lighthearted comment, although I feel (in spirit) it is very much a DH design! I'm just glad JM is working on it!

Chris558
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris558 »

Well, perhaps to strike a happy medium, we can safely say that, yes, DH had made a proposal (or very rough design) and then HS started the design proper (or evolved it.) Nice that they carried on the DH pedigree, though.

Was the 146 a direct replacement to the 1-11?

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Not really... there is a school of though that says the 146 should never have been built and the 1-11 should have been evolved, with Tay's etc... and there is probably some mileage in that.

Reading between the lines, even though they were all BAC, each factory was still feircly loyal to its own history which produced many good but competing designs for the same market. As the Hatfield boys had a lot of sway at the time, they tended to get more airtime in the right circles than the Vickers or Avro chaps.

ImageImageImage