Daily Mail Sept '76

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

VC10
Vulcan
Vulcan

Daily Mail Sept '76

Post by VC10 »

If God had meant us to fly, he would have given us tickets.

Hot_Charlie
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Daily Mail Sept '76

Post by Hot_Charlie »

And a scene to be repeated over the next 10 years or so. How ironic it will be if one goes to Cosford (and whilst we think about it, where else? Manchester? Filton? East Fortune? That would save at least 4, but I ain't gonna get my hopes up...)
Charlie

[Intentionally Blank]

Tweek
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tweek »

Hot_Charlie wrote:And a scene to be repeated over the next 10 years or so. How ironic it will be if one goes to Cosford (and whilst we think about it, where else? Manchester? Filton? East Fortune? That would save at least 4, but I ain't gonna get my hopes up...)
I wonder if Duxford or Bruntingthorpe could accommodate another ex-airliner... :worried:

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

They are not airliners now...............which means every museum will want one.

Perhaps when the time comes they could be donated to every museum that wants one....except Cosford.

Perhaps Cosford could have any cut up bits left over.........that would be more their style :roll:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Hot_Charlie
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Garry Russell wrote: Perhaps when the time comes they could be donated to every museum that wants one....except Cosford.

Perhaps Cosford could have any cut up bits left over.........that would be more their style :roll:

Garry
You must remember that the scrapped airliners at Cosford were BA's collection, not the RAF Museum's...
Charlie

[Intentionally Blank]

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I do..but I can't see why they could not be pulled out away from the area which would have demonstarted some urgency and perhaps others would have rescued them

it seems odd that an organisation that preserves a part of history would stand by and watch such valuable exhibts being smashed up on their doorstep and take no action just because it is not the exact type they preserve.

You would think there would have been more of a general interest.

Perhaps the biggest mistake was afte BA said they would no longer look after them a year or so earlier.they were left in position

This gave the impression that they were safe and only when the diggers moved in was the an intense outcry.......which is my point about them being pulled off site.

The scrapping was not RAF Corfords doing but I am sure they could have help them live long enough for new homes to be found.

There seems a general atitude there like the way the exhibits are layed out the the core driving force is not really there...more of a commercial get the punters in site.

Anyways.all water under the bridge now but I would like to seen any preserved examples going to sites that will look after them for what the aircraft is or was and not something to be pulled arround if or when it fits in to the general corporate plan.

Garry
Garry

Hot_Charlie
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Garry Russell wrote:I do..but I can't see why they could not be pulled out away from the area which would have demonstarted some urgency and perhaps others would have rescued them.

The scrapping was not RAF Corfords doing but I am sure they could have help them live long enough for new homes to be found.

There seems a general atitude there like the way the exhibits are layed out the the core driving force is not really there...more of a commercial get the punters in site.
In that case maybe it's worth rethinking the absolutely ludicrous policy of letting the punters in for free - which has already had an effect on the running of the RAFM at Hendon (restricted opening times, with some exhibits not being open at all, mostly caused to a lack of staff IIRC). I'm sure the RAFM would have attempted to save the aircraft if it had been financially viable (and, like at Hendon, could get the personnel to do it). Look at an equivalent museum at Duxford - people pay over a tenner to get in there with no complaints.
Charlie

[Intentionally Blank]

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

That would be a good move as long as it's not too much.

Perhaps the government could help out as well as they always seem to have enough money to hand arround abroad when it suits them.

What made the Cosford debacle so tragic is the three that were broken up were three unique......in the UK at least.

This having happened I just hope lessons have been learned.....but probably not. :-(

Garry
Garry

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Look at an equivalent museum at Duxford - people pay over a tenner to get in there with no complaints.
I think 'with no complaints' is stretching it a bit. Everyone who goes knows (for the most part) they're going to get stung and accepts it. It's actually £14.95 to get in as an adult which is rather rich if you ask me!!

I agree it shouldn't be free (Cosford or Hendon) if the support needed/required isn't there. Defeats the object doesn't it really.

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Hot_Charlie
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Hot_Charlie »

DaveB wrote:
Look at an equivalent museum at Duxford - people pay over a tenner to get in there with no complaints.
I think 'with no complaints' is stretching it a bit. Everyone who goes knows (for the most part) they're going to get stung and accepts it. It's actually £14.95 to get in as an adult which is rather rich if you ask me!!

I agree it shouldn't be free (Cosford or Hendon) if the support needed/required isn't there. Defeats the object doesn't it really.

ATB

DaveB :tab:
Fair enough! Last time I went (on a non show day) it was about £12! To be fair I think £7.50 - £10 would be a very reasonable price for the RAFM Hendon, RAFM Cosford (particularly now they have an active restoration facility, which can't be cheap to run) and IWM Duxford. I agree £14.95 is a wee bit steep.
Charlie

[Intentionally Blank]