Windows AutoUpdate

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Windows AutoUpdate

Post by DaveB »

Hi Guy's,

Anyone out there using WinXP SP2 had difficulty with their latest auto-update.. Net Framework 1.1 SP1?? I had it offered for this pc and hit the download button (I always check what's on offer and NEVER let it auto download/install).. waited for the install window to open then hit the GO button. It started to do the business then came up with a 'Failed' message (the first I've ever had). I tried it again (after the pc prompted me that a download was available) and yet another failure.

I turned the pc on the following day (yesterday) and got the 'an update is available' balloon in short order and once more it failed to install so I tried one more time (as you do) with the same result. After making a note of the error code, I went to Windows Online to be informed that this code is associated with files being downloaded from Windows Update (and a few others) that are not complete. Instructions to get around it were to switch off Windows Update (Stop), rename the log file then restart Windows Update. This done, I went online and ran WUD and it offered two files.. IE7 (no thanks) and Net Framework 1.1 SP1. This time all of the file appeared to come down fine (it's over 10mb and not a small percentage of this was coming down before). The install window opened (eventually) and once more, I hit the GO button but it failed again :o :roll: There are further instructions available online in case this happens but tbh, I'd lost the will to continue so have 'hidden' the update.. for now.

I mentioned it to Lee this morning and he said he was on Net Framework 3!!! :o If there IS such a beast, does it do what NFW 1.1 does and/or.. do I really need to bother pursuing it anyway??

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Re: Windows AutoUpdate

Post by DanKH »

.NET FW 1.1 sp1 is a very old update....

Unless you have any programs that uses the .NET FW you don't have to get it.

I would recommend though to update to FW 1.1 sp2, FW 2.0 and FW 3.0 .... as programmers normally uses the newest version of the FW (when programming in most modern language)
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

It may have failed Dave because you don't have the prerequists installed? My machine has auto updated since XP was released (and now Vista) and never had a problem in the best part of 4 years.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

Ditto. Haven't missed a single one.
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

Dave,

you might try downloading the redistributable package:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

This avoids using the Windows Automatic Update - just follow the instructions but be sure to download and save the package rather than "Run this program from its current location."

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Ben/Dan,

Well.. that's the point. The system concerned dates from around Aug 2004 and has been on Autoupdate from the word go so why now I get offered what can be considered an old update is a bit of a mystery. If I'm not mistaken, Windows will load Net Framework as a matter of course on an initial install if it detects either a network card or the presence of a network and the only time I've knowingly used it was for using NVTRAY as pointed to by Dan! :o :roll: It required a newer version than the one I had installed so I installed the newer version. How long ago was that Dan.. months and months ago :think:

The bottom line is, I don't really know what the heck Net Framework does (exactly) or why NVTray should require it but the one wouldn't work without the other :roll: If I can do without it, that suits me just fine but I'm loathe to uninstall it just in case I find things suddenly not working :worried:

EDIT.. tks Nigel ;-)

FURTHER EDIT..
I'm on the pc concerned now and have found the possible reason NF1.1 SP1 wouldn't install.. I have NF2 (plus a security update) installed. God knows how or when that happened but it'd explain why the service pack wouldn't install as NF doesn't like living with another version (or so I read off that link Nigel gave me). All that remains now is to see what doesn't work! :lol:
ATB

ImageImage

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

After the release of FW2.0 and even FW3.0 never programs make use of the newest FW. It is my believe that there are not that any applications still using FW1.1 So I guess you'll be alright thanking no to this one....

I know of at lease one application that uses FW2.0 and that is my very own CBM snapshot utility.

Getting in to he ins and out of what FW is and does may be a bit out this forum. But in general you can say it is a framework that enables the use of various programming tools. As long as the can compile into a language that the FW understands, and then can JIT-compile (just in time compile) when necessary. So no matter your preference of programming language, you have the ability to use any of the tools provided with the FW.

Very general. but just so you might get the essence.

Anyone who has interest in it can see through this article (I haven't read it myself, so hopefully 'I'm not all of-track)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_Framework
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Tks Dan. I'll not read the full explanation but take your word for it ;-)

ATB

ImageImage

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

If it makes it better Dave, it happened to me too. The first time it has not worked as it should. I also declined the 'genuine Windows verification tool' that was offered this week. :$
ATB Trev

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

calypsos wrote:If it makes it better Dave, it happened to me too. The first time it has not worked as it should. I also declined the 'genuine Windows verification tool' that was offered this week. :$
Now why did you do that? You'll be able to download free MSN-pictures if you pass ;-)
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image