For those quick hops across the Channel

Specifically but not exclusively for VA pilots.. details of recommended addon scenery that cover VA destinations.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

calypso
Vulcan
Vulcan

For those quick hops across the Channel

Post by calypso »

Not sure if this is the right forum, and I'm sure you've all see this one before.

...... but just in case anyone's interested.

Nice freeware scenery for LFRD (St. Malo) here.

http://www.flightscenery.com/lfrd.htm
John

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: For those quick hops across the Channel

Post by DaveB »

Excellent John.. many thks for that. St Malo is a VA destination for all of our VA piston fleet and oft visited by my goodself. Pity fuel is so expensive there! :-(

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

calypso
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by calypso »

Welcome Dave.

It's not just the airport. Towns and villages are very detailed and the port area/old town is especially well done.

There's a very nice video too.

http://www.fs-video.com/?id=3491 You need to right hand click and zoom to full screen.
John

Chris Sykes
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris Sykes »

Oh St Marlo very loverly walled city, could get lost in that small area but such loverly place to wonder about. Oh and you can also walk over the tha Castle (chatau) when at low tide and have a guided tour!

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi John,

As mentioned above, I use both St.Malo and Armor pretty regularly on the VA so I downloaded this scenery straight away.. only to find I'd already pulled it but not installed it (no idea when I did that!) :lol: Anyway.. all in place now and what can I say. The price is right.. the scenery is excellent and I thorougly recommend it. Nice coastlines, landclass, terrain mesh (though Fsims interpretation isn't as pleasing to the eye as it might be) and all the relevant buildings in place, not only for the airfield but that complete stretch of coast. A quick blast in the Cessna saw framerates at a steady 60fps and this is maintained whether at the airfield or sightseeing. First Class ;-)

ATB

ImageImage

Christhekeeper
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Christhekeeper »

Thanks for HU on this, being a Channel Islander (in exile), used to fly down there occasionally to clear customs before flying on elsewhere. Looking forward to installing.
Chris

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I don't think you'll be disappointed Chris ;-) The readme states that it was put together by a pilot who flies this area frequently so more attention has been paid to being in the air than on the ground but tbh.. this isn't evident. I've seen airfields with a great deal less detail than this one make the old pc grind to a halt. Testimony to how well it's been built! :)

BTW.. I've moved the topic down here ;-)

ATB

ImageImage

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

That has been my virtual home for about 3 years off and on, the guy behind the fantstic Flightzone stuff (my other virtual homes) made it.
ATB Trev

Christhekeeper
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Christhekeeper »

You're absolutely right Dave, great scenery - down to the Truckline Car Ferry (now part of Brittany Ferries) in the harbour. :)

Does anyone have a new link to the page for local airline traffic that he suggests (Go to Bruno Blin's trafic page for LFRD, it's all there! http://fs2004bb.site.voila.fr/) as I tried this and although my French is rusty art best, I think it says it's not there anymore! :dunno:

If you've not downloaded this yet, it's well worth it.
Chris

DenhamPPL
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by DenhamPPL »

Thanks for the heads up on this excellent scenery :dancer:

Am planning a french "away day" with some members of my flying club and Dinard is one of the airfields we're hoping to visit so it's super to find such nice accurate looking scenery of the area.

Haven't had the time to join a VA group yet - hopefully will do over Christmas!

Cheers

Adam