A Glacier Adventure with Lou Betti's Dakota...

Links to Classic British Flightsim themed images only please.
Please post in jpg or png format and no bigger than 1024 x 768

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

A Glacier Adventure with Lou Betti's Dakota...

Post by petermcleland »

Yesterday, I flew into Anchorage in Winter, but I've changed things to mid Summer next year now and moved over to Lake Hood Strip for the start of this adventure:-

To see a very complete sequence taken on this flight please click this address:-

http://forum.fsscreenshots.com/dcboard. ... =full&page

Thanks for looking :flying:

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: A Glacier Adventure with Lou Betti's Dakota...

Post by Paul K »

Another great sequence Peter. Once again, I'll link that thread at my virtual IL2 squadron site, if thats ok. I like the unconverted to see just how much fun a civilian flight sim can be.

Lovely stuff! :)

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Thank you Paul...Yes, please do :)

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

I don't know which lake and glacier you were at, Peter, but your sequence has triggered a memory of a long-forgotten real-life glacier adventure near Anchorage. Anchorage was a refuelling stop and crew slip for 707s and 747 Classics on the Polar route to Japan and despite the cruel time-change it was a very popular destination.

One time we borrowed a minivan and drove up to Portage Glacier in winter, where it was the done thing to walk across the frozen lake to view the glacier from close quarters. There were dog sled rides for the rich and lazy but the sun was shining and the glacier cliff didn't look too far so we walked. The locals were wearing michelin man suits and furry boots but all we had were British anoraks and jeans. It felt cold but walking briskly soon warmed us up. We walked across the ice for about an hour without seeming to get close to the glacier face, but suddenly we could hear it cracking and decided it was time to retreat.

As we turned back we instantly realised our mistake and our gentle afternoon stroll turned into a survival exercise. There was a gentle breeze from behind at about the same speed that we were walking so that we were walking in still air. When we turned into the breeze to walk back we were walking into a 6 mph wind and the chill factor was shocking. The water from our eyes froze instantly and our gloves were coated with ice as we wiped our eyes. I couldn't feel my thighs, my face or my feet even when I pinched them. We tried jogging but that increased the wind speed and made it worse. The locals and dog sleds had all gone home and we were all alone on the ice with the beginnings of frostbite and a huge glacial wall of ice looming over us and cracking ominously. It was a very scary experience and illustrates just how quickly the environment can turn dangerous for the unprepared HELP

If Peter had decided to do his touch and go at that moment, I think it might have pushed me over the edge and given me total heart failure! Thanks for reminding me of that adventure, Peter. Lovely shots by the way. I don't suppose that was Portage by any chance?

Ian :)

Ian

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Ian, have you ever thought of writing a book of your career with B.O.A.C.? From the few recollections you have posted with more added, it would make interesting reading.

Peter, wonderful screenshots as always, felt like putting my overcoat on seeing those pics! :lol:

Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Ian,

I don't think that was Portage glacier as I had to fly for quite a long time from Anchorage through those mountains to get there...I think it might have taken a week in a minivan. I will have to Google Earth that area to find the names...Someone else has asked the name of that lake :flying:

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

Those online charts that I use have most of the names of glaciers, rivers and mountains on them.

Great set of shots too :P
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

jonesey2k wrote:Those online charts that I use have most of the names of glaciers, rivers and mountains on them.
I'll have a look there Jonesey...Thanks :flying:

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

Hallo Peter. No it definitely couldn't have been Portage. I've just checked and Portage is only 50 miles south east of Anchorage. It definitely didn't take a week in the minivan because we stopped off at Ceil's bar on the way back to celebrate our survival and still made it back to the hotel in time for the hangover to subside enough to tackle a flight to Tokyo!

Nigel - this is the reason I could never write a book about anything I did with BOAC/BA - every adventure ended in a drinking session and some of the stuff I haven't remembered since passing out at the end of it. Strangely enough, it must be all in there somewhere and when it is triggered, as in Peter's post, it all suddenly comes back. Whether the memory is accurate, I couldn't say :lol: I can only tell you what pops into my head. Ceil's bar was a wooden roadhouse an hour or so out of Anchorage and always busy, even in deep snow. (The locals all drove with chains and the parking meters had sockets so you could plug your sump heater in while you parked up). Ceil was a 50 something wild-thing with a 48 inch chest which she readily popped out for photographs. Alaskans refer to the southern US states as the lower 48. Ceil was the upper 48! I have a photo somewhere of our Captain sitting in a chair with Ceil standing behind him and a huge mammary either side of his bald head. Not much dignity for the poor chap, I'm afraid.

Sorry about your thread, Peter - you've started me off, yet again OFFTOPIC

Where does it all come from? - where does it all go to? :dunno:

Ian :)

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Great dits Ian...I enjoy reading them :dancer: