FS2004 AFCAD and Trees

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

migeater0
Lightning
Lightning

FS2004 AFCAD and Trees

Post by migeater0 »

So I've made an AFCAD file for llanbedr (Since the SkySim Vixen has a beautiful XP924 RAe livery) and wanted to do more flying in Wales...but I'm having a conflict with tree's and there's only a certain amount of adjustments you can make before it starts looking really unrealistic!

Any ideas on how I can get rid of them? Failing that, anyone got better scenery (freeware) to do this?

nb. I'm not a personal fan of UK2000 - no disrespect to Gary or the company.

Nick
The Sock Lives! Long Live The Sock!

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: FS2004 AFCAD and Trees

Post by DaveB »

Nick.. as far as I'm aware, the easiest way to get rid of these unsightly tinkers is to make excludes for em. Wish I could tell you exactly how thats done but I can't :roll: Worked great on one particular bit of Oz scenery from Derek Froud (Heron1b). I showed him the prob and he wrote a couple of excludes. Hey presto.. no intrusive trees :)

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

bobdawkins
Viscount
Viscount

Post by bobdawkins »

Stick a taxiway underneath your runway just a bit wider a it seems to get rid of objects that are in the way I have info on my PC When I find it I'll post on here :welldone:

http://library.avsim.net/zipshow.php?DL ... n%2Fmsword

Update
its on Avsim
Category: Flight Simulator 2004 - Miscellaneous Files
Afcad - Some Tips and Tricks

File Description:
Afcad Tips and Tricks - an Illustrated Tutorial. Although Lee Swordy's indispensible program includes very complete documentation, this tutorial illustrates several of the less obvious things you can do with the program. Topics include creating a quick flatten, decorating the edges of a runway, use of the polygon feature to enhance terrain adjacent to an airport, drawing "roads", creating invisible taxiways, moving or removing the Helicopter "H" and use of the "jump here" command. Even if you are an experienced user of Afcad, you will likely find some useful ideas in this tutorial. Compiled in .doc and .pdf formats for your flying enjoyment by David "Opa" Marshall.

Filename: afcadtrt.zip
License: Freeware
Added: 18th January 2007
Downloads: 4621
Author: David "Opa" Marshall
Size: 3323kb
Bob Dawkins,South-West Cambridgeshire, U.K, HGV lorry Driver. If thing's don't change they'll stay the same.

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

Look for a program called Exclude Builder which I think "Opa" mentions in his tutorial on AFCAD. Best used with FSconnect, then you can slew around and eliminate trees. You will probably need several small excludes to do the job. If you do use FSConnect, be sure to press 'space' before building the exclude so that the plane is facing North.

Cheers,
Nigel II

migeater0
Lightning
Lightning

Post by migeater0 »

I don't have any of these tools! I've had a scan on Google, but with no real joy.

Here is the file, can anyone out there have a play?

Regards,

Nick

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

Nick

Peter Mc gave me a very good exclude program - I'll have a go if you wish - Im about to turn out Ashaig Airstrip (Broadford Isle of Skye) and I had the devils
own job excluding the bushes - it just produces an "exclude" bgl file that goes with the rest of the AF2 bgls :)
When I return the file I will aslo send the exclude and flatten programs with Peters permission

Give me about three days :)

Leif

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Please do Leif...Those programs are not mine and they are downloadable...I'm pretty sure that Holger Sandmann is the brains behind them :flying:

I used the exclude to get rid of scrub and trees around the McLeland Field site and also to get rid of some default FS9 buildings that were at Situk. For the large number of Seaplane bases that I'm building around the World I have not yet found it necessary to use either exclude or flatten...I'm just placing the cabins etc in the natural Autogen trees and allowing it all to blend in. I expect I will need to flatten a bit for a fuelling stop near a ship in mid ocean, but it may be that the invisible water runway and taxiways applied with AFCAD, are sufficient :dancer:

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

Sorry, I should have posted the filenames at Avsim:
Exclude Builder = excbuilderv2.zip
FSConnect = fsc300.zip

There are other programs that will do excludes but I find Exclude Builder easy to use.

migeater0
Lightning
Lightning

Post by migeater0 »

Thanks for all your help here Gents, but I'm way out of my depth!

I've had a play, but I'm drowning in a sea of the unknown! I've got the lat/longs as:

NW Point
Lat: 52.8086561305393
Lon: -4.12055348897006

SE Point
Lat: 52.8123944162783
Lon: -4.13858521502535

Nick

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Nick,

That means it is going to make a rectangular exclude file covering the rectangle inside those two points...The NW point is the top left and the SE point is the bottom right. The resultant .bgl file when placed in an active scenery folder will exclude things from that rectangle...probably everything so there will be nothing there but bare ground for you to place your scenery on.

I place my exclude files for McLeland Field here:-

X:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\Scenery\Namw\Scenery

That is because my base is in the North American West...But I think almost any active scenery folder will do...Just be careful not to exclude your own bits of scenery that you do want to show.