To Fly Direct to a GPS Waypoint...

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

To Fly Direct to a GPS Waypoint...

Post by petermcleland »

...without losing the rest of your GPS Flightplan.

Most people are unaware of how to do this and I thought I would give the procedure here as it needs a little practice. The sequence assumes that you have an FS9 Flightplan loaded in your GPS and that you or ATC want to fly direct to a waypoint and bypass the others that come before it. Here is the sequence of clicks to practice:-

1) Press the FPL key to bring up the flight plan in the GPS's FPL Window.

2)Press the CRSR knob to bring up the flashing cursor.

3)Click the large right knob to scroll down to the waypoint that you wish to fly direct to.

4) Click the MENU button to bring up the "Activate Leg?" dialog box.

5) Click ENTER button to Activate this Leg, which will cause the GPS to bypass ALL previous legs, but will keep the Leg that goes to your selected waypoint active!

6) Click FPL to return to the Map display.

Using the Direct-To button would have cancelled the rest of the GPS flight plan!

Until you get used to doing this, it would be worth having those six points printed out as the sequence is hard to remember :flying:

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: To Fly Direct to a GPS Waypoint...

Post by airboatr »

Hi Peter

funny I just asked Techy if he knew how to program a waypoint in a PM
so I just posted it in the other thread . pics and all :dancer:

so my question is:.........

Do you have ESP? or what :lol:

.................... :think: now where is that lead helmet

Techy111
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Techy111 »

Thanks Peter.....Thanks Joe....i printed both tutorials off..... :welldone:

Tony
The last surviving and complete Vickers Vanguard....."Superb"
ImageImageImage

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

So you have ....Tu- torials ...then :thumbsup:

:$

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Something else about that procedure that most people don't know...Having adjusted your NEXT waypoint to visit as above, you can SAVE the flight. Then when you reload it the flightplan is still there in the GPS with that waypoint you selected as NEXT, still current.

As an example...I have a "Round the World on Floats" (RTWOF) flightplan loaded in my amphibious Dakota...It starts and finishes at PAMF (The Seaplane Base at McLeland Field). It has 19 Waypoints between the Start and Finish points. The first five are completed Seaplane Bases M001 to M005...The remainder are Lat and Long waypoints called "Fix 1 to Fix 14". The Dak is saved at the moment at Flores in the Azores (M005) and it has the next leg active on its flightplan i.e. M005 to Fix 1 (Mylor Creek). When I have built M006 then Fix 1 will become M006 and the next leg active will be M006 to Fix 2...and so on and on.

It means that the flightplan for the whole circumnavigation is now loaded into the GPS and I just had to go through that procedure above to make the next leg I actually want to fly (M005 to Fix 1) the active leg, otherwise when I lock the autopilot to the GPS it would have wanted to start again at McLeland Field!

BTW... just to remind people how to lock the autopilot to the GPS Flightplan:-

1. Make sure that your NAV/GPS switch is selected to GPS.

2. Engage the Autopilot and click the autopilot NAV button...The aircraft will now turn and fly to the track line on your GPS map and fly it all the way to the destination. You will still be responsible for your Altitude.

3. When approaching the destination and given a vector by ATC, set the heading point on your compass to the vector given and click the autopilot HDG button.

4. You now control the aircraft's heading by twiddling the knob on the compass to whatever vector ATC give you and you are still responsible for your Altitude as directed by ATC.

5. Be sure now to flick the NAV/GPS switch back to NAV as it needs to be there for the Autopilot to see and lock onto an ILS.

For most people here, the above is just stuff that they all know already but there do seem to be some novices here who are struggling a bit :flying:

Techy111
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Techy111 »

Peter.....I have been flying Flight Sims since 1985......and i have just got around to wanting to do it "right"..... :flying:

So in that respect i am a novice and i want to thank you for pointing me in the right direction....

I have always just been a load up and go simmer and now have the time to start learning all the features FS has to offer.....

Thanks Peter...

And Thanks Joe....

Tony
The last surviving and complete Vickers Vanguard....."Superb"
ImageImageImage

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

I didn't know you could do that in the FS GPS.

Oh well, I'll still use my RXP Garmin's :)
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

jonesey2k wrote:I didn't know you could do that in the FS GPS.

Oh well, I'll still use my RXP Garmin's :)
Jonesey,

I don't know how you can operate around McLeland Field with the RXP Garmins...They have an ancient database that is well out of date and naturally they don't show McLeland Field and Situk and all the small fields around the area. The standard and excellent default FS9 GPS shows absolutely EVERY AFCAD in FS...Even if you have made them yourself. All you will see on the Garmins is Yakutat...They are far more suitable for motoring than flying...They do actually have the road numbers. Personally, I've always thought that the databases on those RXPs was made for motorists rather than flyers :lol:

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

Heh, you have a point there, although the airports I use frequently get entered in as user waypoints. No approaches and info ect for those though. :)

Those road & river names are actually quite usefull when flying around areas that I know well on the ground... just head straight down the M62 for Barton aerodrome :lol: My car GPS is a Garmin unit :lol:
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Hi Jonesey
you know the default gps does work well and it's easy to do
as peter has described it, it goes pretty easy.
and in another thread I posted a step by step with pics here
http://www.cbfsim.org/cbfsim/cbfsBB/vie ... =8&t=12639
at thye botom of the page...... give it a go
easy peazy japanezie

ATB

Joe