Vanguard Approach Speed

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Graeme
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Vanguard Approach Speed

Post by Graeme »

Hi All,

I've just found the repackaged Vanguard with Fraser's V5 panel. (Thanks Guys!) I've having a bit of trouble getting it back on the ground though - when arriving over the threshold at the Vat speed, it seems like I float forever before touching down. If I knock 10 knots of the threshold speed it's better.

Is anybody else seeing this? It's possibly a problem with my throttle axis as the throttle seems to bounce around at flight idle. Perhaps i'm getting a higher idle power setting than normal?

Anyway, it's a still a nice model after all this time, and the panel brings the package right up-to-date.

Best Regards,
--Graeme

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Re: Vanguard Approach Speed

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Gareme

Personally I don't get any problem like this :think:

Noting what you say about your throttle.........do you get any thing like this with other types?

Does pressing F1 reduce the throttle further when you have fully closed it ?

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Graeme
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Graeme »

Hi Garry,

The throttle is held at flight idle by the gate, but when my throttle (CH Yoke) is pulled back the throttle on the panel seems to move around slightly, like it's trying to enter the "ground" area then returning to flight idle. I was wondering if this was inadvertently causing more thrust then desired. I'll try disabling the axis and use the keyboard throttle controls.

--Graeme

Graeme
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Graeme »

OK, Vat shows as 127 knots. Keyboard throttle control.

When over the threshold at 127 knots on the ILS glideslope I close the throttle with F1, this is approximately 130ft above the runway. I fly level just above the runway holding off till the speed bleeds off. When I finally touch down at approx 108 knots I'm over 2000ft beyond the aiming point.

(Flightsim was loaded with the default Cessna before changing to the Vanguard)

--Graeme

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Graeme,

There is a notable 'ground effect' on the Vanguard which can't really be sorted without a major overhaul of the FD. The current FD is to all intents the original which has had minor work done to the flap settings (takeoff and Climb from what I remember) in an attempt to cut the ballooning. I don't think APR and Land have been touched :think: It will sit on 'Land' if you tug just a little too hard giving the situation you describe and takes a reasonable amount of practice to avoid the float ;-)

Not seen the problem you describe with the throttle. I come in at VaT plus 20 slowing to around VaT plus 10 a mile or so out and normally end up where I want to be :) The throttles on the panel twitch up slightly below FL100 causing them to be reset but I've changed my descent technique slightly to hold a better speed and less fiddling. At BoD, I cut to 200psi rather than flight idle (flight idle being around 140psi) and don't cut to full flight idle until 8000ft. This gives the props a chance to bleed the excess speed off but does need an eye kept on it as previously mentioned.. the throttles will creep to over 150psi. At around 3500ft, I'm sub 200kts and can use the flaps without fear of overspeed lamps lighting ;-)

BTW.. I've released a load more paints down in the VA Forum under 'Aircraft and Routes'.. VA Vanguard repaints. More will follow but I'm back to flying after a week off :)

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Graeme
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Graeme »

Thanks Dave,

I try to fly a standard profile with most aircraft: 200kts leaving the hold. 180kts till localiser/glideslope then 160kts down the glideslope to 1500ft, thereafter slowing to Vat+10 by 500ft.

With the Vanguard, I've been trying reducing the throttle to flight idle whilst at 300ft - seems to work OK and with much less float, though I'm probably almost at idle from 1500ft :lol: More practice required!

I'll look out for the new paints, and thanks for packaging her up nicely!

--Graeme

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

Thanks for that explanation, Dave.

You've reminded me why I only fly jets :worried:

Ian :lol:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol:

The end result is pretty much what Graeme is seeing and nothing to worry about. Rather more complicated than jet flying but they're all different and speed is the basis of all you do on any aircraft ;-) I've only about 245 logged hours on the Vanguard (probably exceeds all my logged jet hours combined) but as with any aircraft.. all landings are different so you have to pay attention :) Currently over the Channel in APEM enroute EGNX :cpu:

Try it some time.. you might be surprised :wave:

ATB

ImageImage

bluesman
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by bluesman »

Hi
Just wiped my harddrive, and now can't find the Vanguard to re install
Can anyone point the way ?
Thanks
Dave

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Dave..

Look here.. http://www.cbfsim.org/cbfsim/cbfsBB/vie ... 13&t=12762

ATB

ImageImage