Has the tide turned? FSX or FS9?

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Are you using FSX or FS9 as your current place to fly CBFS aircraft?

FS 9 users.....I am still stuck in the dark ages and love it.
56%
FSX users...I have entered the shiney new MS heaven and love it
27%
FSX and FS9...I am sitting on the fence until the new sim arrives and fly both!
17%

Total votes: 116

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Has the tide turned? FSX or FS9?

Post by FlyTexas »

I've seen a couple of polls like this on other sites in the past couple of months. The results of this poll (as it stands now) pretty much line up with the other polls. The majority of folks (60% or slightly more) seem to be staying with FS9.

Brian

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

johnhinson wrote:
Garry Russell wrote:I am pretty sure if I did have FS.X I would not be making anything for FS.9 as such but it would still sit there for occasional use.
In that case, I pray you remain in the dark ages with the apparent majority as long as possible! :o)

John

No worries John

I'll be there for quite some time methinks :lol: and even if thisng changed the three on the go would still be FS.9 :)

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Brian Franklin
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Brian Franklin »

Hi guys, I'm lucky in that I have a good machine which does FSX justice, yes indeed FSX was a PC killer when it came out. That said, I only fly in FS9 these days only when I have to, for the pure pleasure of simulated flight it's FSX everytime. I love the visual experience of FSX, it just feels more right if you know what I mean.

With the release of FSX SP1, SP2 and Accelreation things have got better, PC's too have become much more powerful in just the last year. I loved FS9 and was honestlly never off it, but realistically I can see FS9 remaining in use only with it's loyal band of followers, but ask yourselves this, How many of you said that for FS2002?

Brian

MALTBY D
The Gurus

Post by MALTBY D »

I'm with Gary.
I'd like to have FSX, but I need a new hard drive just to try the thing. A new motherboard to fit more memory, bigger power supply for better graphics etc. etc.
I've yet to see anything in FSX that, from my own point of view, can justify the hassle & expense.

I'm interested in airliners. I have the impression that FSX is more fun for GA pilots.

Then there's the development. That's the real problem - It's too much work.
No doubt, if FSX was fully backward compatible, we'd be mainly FSX here.

DM
ImageImage

Brian Franklin
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Brian Franklin »

Hi Dave,

Yes you're correct, all the above do apply, but with computer based hobbies isn't that always the case? You'll inevitably have to change to keep up as the software evolves, be it for good or bad. As newer users come along they will always arrive at the newest kit and software, so if you wish to develope for these guys you have to match them. You are right about the development too. As the FS versions change the learning 'curve' changes to a continous learning 'incline'

Brian

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I upgrade when I can and then get the software I can run.

I don't get the latest software and then upgrade the PC to match....just can't afford to do that.

If for any reason certain bits fail and need replacing then an upgrade for that part followed by a reappraisal would take place but only if needed.

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

Garry, you are missing nothing in FSX. trust me I had it and sold it!
Why a vote?? its obvious that FS9 that will outlast FSX.. I ask the FSX lovers who feel so insecure they have to have a poll to convince themselves they have not wasted their money, why is it FSX has not blown FS9 out of the water? Heck it is graphically better it is also more realistic, if this is all true we would be lining up for FSX as well as every other FS user? No MS got it wrong as I did not see FS2000 folk hanging on instead of trading upto FS2002? funny that FS98 out ran FS2000 you would think MS would learn their mistake, but when folk hand over £50 on a substandard sim that needed two patches to run..bit like FS2000 again.. they will churn out substandard crap :@
So FS9 leads the way in the poll, thats no shock really as most of good FS9 add-ons will not run in FSX, I know scenery developers pulled their hair out working with FSX its not backwards compatible (which strangely is now missing from the blurb!)
Sorry to bleat on about FSX,...... no I am not sorry.. in this PC world where we are told its normal and should be encouraged to be g*y and how we should embrace other cultures at our expense and lose heratige all the bloody time, I find FSX the camel that broke the straws back :lol:
Hey FSX guys wake up and smell the coffee... Pst..the Emperor's not wearing any clothes....
I BASE MY REPLY ON FACTS NOT DREAMS....

AMD Phenom II X4 BE 965 @ 3.80GHz
nVidia GTX 560 TI 448 Cores

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Ah.. the voice of reason Mr Madge :lol:

Quite right about FS2000. We all died a death after diving out to get it only to find it was a complete dog. Major difference between IT and FSX is that there IS hardware available that'll run it.. not so with 2000 :roll:

Much is to be applauded in the new (new-ish) pretender. Many aspects of it are head and shoulders above FS9 (as a default.. straight out of the box sim) although the 2 patches soured it greatly for me :-( Years ago, I was up there with the high flyers.. upgrading my system as soon as the latest sim came out (we'll not go into FS2000 again) but I really don't have the time, money or inclination to do so these days.

Also, and very important to me.. I think that we've reached a 'Golden Era' with 2004. CBFS has a HUGE VA fleet and even though the likes of Rick's Viking, Viscount, Vanguard and Herald were born of a different era/sim.. a tweak here, a tweak there.. a new panel and a lick of paint and the truth is they're better now than they ever were. DM's fleet of jets get an injection of modernisation every so often which keeps them at the edge of their development envelope. My worry is that the aircraft we here love to fly will not be moving forward much further without complete rebuilds and considering the amount we have and the time it took to build them, I fear that many.. perhaps most will be going no further. It is for this reason that I consider these to be Halcyon Days.. the Golden Era of Flight Sim for those of a certain age who love to fly certain types of aircraft ;-) Never again will so many of these aircraft be available to fly in any one sim at the same time. Pretty much hits the nail on the head.

I have FSX and have probably used it even less than TM did (it's previous owner) and although it runs at a respecable speed, there's still not enough in it for me. My beloved FSNavigator now looks like it will not be moving up and I'm really not prepared to move until it does. Should I win the lottery, I'll be dashing out to get the fastest 'Kick @rse' pc I can find.. I'll more than likely load WinXP onto it (though this could be debatable) and I'll load FS9.1 on and enjoy my current FS world with much greater fluidity than I do now. No special bump maps or super shiney paintwork.. just the same as I see now only more of it and faster ;-)

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

Interesting to compare the results to the similar poll conducted at the RAZBAM forums http://www.razbam.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=405

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

As you all know, I moved straight on to FSX and ditched FS9, reason being if I was ever going to enjoy the new sim there was no point in me having the old one. Having seen what can be produced for FSX, it really is head and shoulders above fs9, and since SP2 even on moderate hardware.

That said, I do feel that for most of us here, it has probably brought the death of the jet / propliner which is a real shame. The "what if" the cababilities withing FSX hard been arround 4 years ago, i can't help but think we'd have seen brilliant new models, but people move on (not just the technology) and the days were a new model was being released by one of the guys on here every few months have gone. So it is with one foot in the past that I still love flying the Vanguard, VC10 and Trident, but long for new models with all the bells and whistles that the new sim can offer. Looking about the FS world, the freeware comuntity is shrinking, for a number of reasons, but I still look forward to the next young pretenders (who ever they may be) and hope that he (or she) shows the same attention to detail and quality that the masters produced some years ago.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage