Has the tide turned? FSX or FS9?

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Are you using FSX or FS9 as your current place to fly CBFS aircraft?

FS 9 users.....I am still stuck in the dark ages and love it.
56%
FSX users...I have entered the shiney new MS heaven and love it
27%
FSX and FS9...I am sitting on the fence until the new sim arrives and fly both!
17%

Total votes: 116

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Re: Has the tide turned? FSX or FS9?

Post by Trev Clark »

Sorry to but in guys, but this is getting a bit too technical for this thread.

If you want to continue it in more detail, can you pop up a post on the Developers or Virtual Spanner forums. Ta ;-)
ATB Trev

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

Agreed
can we get back to FS9 V FSX... it's crap, no its not, yes it is, no its not, yes, no , yes, no, etc etc..that was more fun :lol:
AMD Phenom II X4 BE 965 @ 3.80GHz
nVidia GTX 560 TI 448 Cores

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

FS9 vs FSX? Here's what Amazon.com has to say about the argument. ;-)

Brian

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Late again for a poll!! :doho: Just don't seem to have the time these days but for what it is worth I will add my tuppence worth.

Have been very happy with FS9 and have no plans at all to move on.

Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

I think the pricing on Amazon isn't a direct indication of anything bar the fact that FS9 is now unavailable from the manufacturer so it's harder to find copies for sale, and the people selling them know they can charge that price to people who're probably getting themselves back up discs at this stage in the products life cycle. Some sort of supply and demand equation, you can't charge more than RRP for something that MS are still pushing as the buyer will go elsewhere. I've no arguments with the reviews, although I imagine a lot of the low marks for FSX were for the RTM version which MS only have themselves to blame for.
As a comment on the perceived pros and cons of both versions, I think FSX offers the airliner flyer little if nothing over FS9, whereas for people like myself who like tooling around in the weeds and trying to get on and off a ship the level of detail in terms of autogen etc. makes FSX a more involving proposition than FS9. In fact if I did fly airliners regularly (rather than Kai Tak from 30 miles out from time to time) I'd be a bit disappointed at what FSX gave me, however as I passed some birds at low level on a flight the other day I think FSX has been worth the upgrade by making things more immersive.

RobDob
Trident
Trident

Post by RobDob »

I love FSX for the reasons SkippyBing states there in the last few lines. It's fantastic for low flying in the weeds or whatever. I was a stern 'stick with FS9' until I had a few beers one night, put a bid on e-bay for a copy for a few quid and won it. That was 3 or 4 weeks ago, not touched FS9 since. BUT.......it's all horses for courses and people will use whichever they prefer. I'm not surprised on the lead FS9 has over FSX on this forum, which I don't mean in a negative way at all. I've felt, in my short time here, that FS9 is the platform of choice for the majority of members. It certainly was for me until the beer started bidding on e-bay!! lol

Techy111
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Techy111 »

Rob......you forget one thing mate......and i will grab my coat when i say this.......

There is a lot of old duffers here....... :gigle:

"runs away VERY VERY fast......"

:tab:

Tony
The last surviving and complete Vickers Vanguard....."Superb"
ImageImageImage

kikko
Comet
Comet

Post by kikko »

I have recently changed hardware and I think I will install FSX soon, just to try. The reason is that I don't like to miss such new products like the FSX Spit IX from RealAir, for istance. However, all my AIR FORCE ( 300 different planes) and sceneries will remain in FS9 and FS9 will remain my favorite simulation platform. Performances in FSX comparable with those of FS9 will never be reached , even with the new processor, so the answer is simple . :welldone: FS9 forever (or ,may be , a future release of X plane) :welldone:

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

Well I've just got FSX running with acceptable framerates. Turns out it was the official Nvidia driver not liking my new 9800GTX. I got horrible performance and no AA/AF but after installing some Beta drivers it runs VERY smooth with all sliders to the max :) Just waiting for some decent add ons before I swap over for good.
For example Tongass Fjords :) Maybe we should have an "FSX add-on" thread where people post stuff for it.
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Maybe we should have an "FSX add-on" thread where people post stuff for it.
And maybe we shouldn't! :lol:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!