Has the tide turned? FSX or FS9?

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Are you using FSX or FS9 as your current place to fly CBFS aircraft?

FS 9 users.....I am still stuck in the dark ages and love it.
56%
FSX users...I have entered the shiney new MS heaven and love it
27%
FSX and FS9...I am sitting on the fence until the new sim arrives and fly both!
17%

Total votes: 116

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: Has the tide turned? FSX or FS9?

Post by tonymadge »

it has probably brought the death of the jet / propliner which is a real shame
Umm so thats progress :think:
I think that the days of the quality airliners we have for FS9 will never happen in FSX. I do not see a Rick Piper (of FS9 Freeware days) or a David Maltby having the time and interest to build everything again for FSX when in about 18 months time FSX will be cast off and FS11 will be here, with no warranty that anything prior FS11 will work on it??
I guess you FSX guys will drop FSX a lot quicker than the present FS9 guys did for the next gen
FS2002 was a good move from fs2000 likewise fs2004 was a natural move on.. maybe it should have been a "patch" for 2002 though??? but MS would not have made the money then. ;-)
AMD Phenom II X4 BE 965 @ 3.80GHz
nVidia GTX 560 TI 448 Cores

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I think its as much to do with that we are all 4 years older now and with different things (and little responsibilities ;-) ) which have come along. To be honnest, if FSX had worked well out of the box on old hardware with old models, there'd have been no point.

The fact is a true FSX model is head an shoulders above its FS9 equivalant. What I was trying to say (and probably not very well) is that if DM and Rick had the time/inclination/enthusiasum/lack of other responsibilities etc that they had in 2003/2004 we may well be having a very different conversation about FSX (at least on here anyway.) I was trying to point out that people move on. When your a single man its pretty easy to spend a few hundred pounds here or there on computer hardware or whatever, but jobs change, people get married, people have childern, people stop being students and start working.... all of these things happen over the space of 4 years and we need to look to the future. I don't think it so much the sim. If FSX had been perfect, I don't think we'd see the golden days of 2004/2005 again.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

If FSX had been perfect, I don't think we'd see the golden days of 2004/2005 again
Spot on, but sadly it isn't :-(
AMD Phenom II X4 BE 965 @ 3.80GHz
nVidia GTX 560 TI 448 Cores

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

FSX all the way. Rarely use FS9 thesedays. Mainly thanks to some quality payware add-on's for FSX which has had me sold for quite some time now. ;-)
Although FSX is for me, far from the finished article. Should just have it perfect in time for FS11. :doho:
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image

Jason
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Jason »

Hi,

I looked at the cost of upgrading my PC, buying FSX versions of all those addons again and just decided it was cheaper and less hassle to go off and take flying lessons for real. I'm not trying to brag or be arrogant about this but FSX gave me the boot up the backside I needed to get on with it. :dancer:

Regards,
Jason

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Good for you, Jason! :thumbsup: I bet you get much better frame rates when flying for real, too. :lol:

Brian

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

FlyTexas wrote:Good for you, Jason! :thumbsup: I bet you get much better frame rates when flying for real, too. :lol:

Brian
Yea, but I am betting there is no 'Pause" key. ;-)

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

I see this is getting a bit close to that 'old argument' again!

Even so, it looks like from our members at least FS9 is (as they say), the 'Golden Age' and , as such, will remain in use (by some of us) possibly for ever!

Unless FSX and its follow up ever get the sort of add-ons FS9 has now, which I think even FSX fans will agree is unlikely, I think that many of us are happy with it, as it is now. A case of 'New' is not always 'better', rather like HiFi systems, I seem to remember :lol:
ATB Trev

Robfolsom
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Robfolsom »

I think the question should be asked, if all things were equal, would you prefer FSX over FS9? I keep both on my computer but in spite of the cost in "extra" equiptment I really like FSX a whole lot. Real Airs Spitfire for instance.

Tweek
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tweek »

I'm quite happy to fly in a superior sim, with less, but higher quality addons, so I'm more than satisfied with FSX.
tonymadge wrote:I ask the FSX lovers who feel so insecure they have to have a poll to convince themselves they have not wasted their money...
If I'm not mistaken, the creator of this poll is an FS9 user!

I couldn't give a monkeys if the minority, or majority are still flying in FS9. FSX users prefer FSX, and so shall continue to fly in FSX, no matter how disgruntled some FS9 users seem to be! ;-)

(And I'm being careful not to turn this into a 'FSX/FS9 is better, because...' discussion/arguement!)
Last edited by Tweek on 14 Apr 2008, 11:11, edited 1 time in total.