SHAR

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: SHAR

Post by Chris Trott »

Rick Piper wrote:Seems like the USA doesn't yet have all the H&S crap like we do (lucky beggars)
Oh, believe me, we do. It's called OSHA (Oh Sh*t, Had an Accident). Difference here is that they don't have the power to tell us what we can and can't do, only how much it's gonna cost us when we do muck up and break something (but that's still very expensive). They're trying to get that power, but enough people know what personal responsibility is and keep those who'd wish to create a real Big Brother at bay (for now).

What Steve Nall is doing is great and their acquisition of a second aircraft (even if it's not going to remain in RAF garb) is great news as maybe we'll see a pair of early model Harriers flying the airshow circuit, something not seen in many years.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Many thanks for that link Pete, found it very interesting as well as the website, if it's going to be left in the open then lets hope it has plenty of loving care!! :lol:

I will certainly have a look round and buy that book of Nigel Ward, sounds an interesting read.

Regards Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

PeteP
Concorde
Concorde

Post by PeteP »

Nigel H-J wrote:...sounds an interesting read.
It's an absolutely fascinating read, Nigel and I'd thoroughly recommend it. However, as I hinted in my earlier post, reading it in isolation could lead you to believe that the Falklands War was fought and won by "Sharkey" Ward and 801 Squadron!!! Everyone else there was just a bit-part player! Still worth reading, though.
Pete

Techy111
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Techy111 »

And hes not to keen on the RAF either is he.....?

Read his book again 2 weeks ago and....boy he does slag off the Black Buck missions don't he..... :worried:

Tony
The last surviving and complete Vickers Vanguard....."Superb"
ImageImageImage

Hot_Charlie
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Techy111 wrote:And hes not to keen on the RAF either is he.....?

Read his book again 2 weeks ago and....boy he does slag off the Black Buck missions don't he..... :worried:

Tony
One would certainly recommend Dave Morgan's book - far more impartial and a much better historical document being from someone who spent periods in both light and dark blue, and not jaded by the inter-service idiocy (like thinking it'd be a laugh to try to contact Black Buck on its journey south under radio silence) and big-headedness of Ward's either.
Charlie

[Intentionally Blank]

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Yes, I would certainly recommend David Morgan's book...I have to admit that I have not read Sharky Ward's :)

PeteP
Concorde
Concorde

Post by PeteP »

petermcleland wrote:I have to admit that I have not read Sharky Ward's :)
For completeness, it is certainly worth reading as it gives a fascinating (if somewhat personal) insight into one aspect of air operations during the Falklands War. As has already been mentioned, his comments about the "crabs" are bordering on the offensive but, everyone is entitled to their opinion - however ludicrous and ill-judged it may be! ;-)
Pete

Hot_Charlie
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Hot_Charlie »

petermcleland wrote:Yes, I would certainly recommend David Morgan's book...I have to admit that I have not read Sharky Ward's :)
I read Sharkey Ward's about a decade ago, and thought it was great (and he was a god). Now, ten years later, and having the benefit of Dave Morgan's very frank account, and others such as "Vulcan 607", I can see it's major faults. Mind you, I'm sure it's a worthwhile read to add balance to the story. :) It doesn't have pride of place in my bookcase though.
Charlie

[Intentionally Blank]

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

his comments about the "crabs" are bordering on the offensive
Only bordering on? Right that's it Ward's obviously not trying hard enough...