Hitching a ride...

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

JD_Wyberton
Meteor
Meteor

Hitching a ride...

Post by JD_Wyberton »

Spotted this BBC story just now:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/7406041.stm

Looks like someone forgot to talk...

forthbridge
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Hitching a ride...

Post by forthbridge »

:lol:

Hows that for precision?
Jim

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Does that mean he avoids any landing fee :think:

Oooops! :lol:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

mayagrafix
Comet
Comet

Post by mayagrafix »

Some guys just taxi right up to the active runway as if they own the field without the proper safety precautions (LINE UP CHECK items), so this is what happens. In a non-controlled airfield (I can only assume there is no active ground control in this situation) CYA is the No.1 FAA flight rule. My guess is that the AC on the bottom is at fault.
RTFM

Tarasdad
Comet
Comet

Post by Tarasdad »

Uncontrolled airfield, CTAF only and no comms required - advised, but not required.

This is a pretty typical low-wing/high-wing accident. Each aircraft was in the other's blind spot, and if they weren't both communicating intent on the CTAF frequency - or doing a good job looking for other traffic - they had no way of knowing the other was there. Frankly I'm surprised accidents like this don't happen far more often. The good news from this one is no injuries. The bad news is one Stinson 108 probably written off and two pilots with FAA interviews in their futures.

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

Agreed Tarrsdad

The Stinson is not one of the easiest aircraft to see out of, but the Cherokee driver must have seen him , Im guessing the gent in the Stinson
is at fault, probably lining up and starting his takeoff roll without listening, and as you said waste of a really nice old aircraft - not that many 108-3s left
around these days. The Cherokee pilot wouldnt have seen him pull out if he was already established on finals. Sad really, but could have been a lot worse.

Leif

Prop Jockey
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by Prop Jockey »

I see the PA-28 is flapless in the clip. If the approach was made like that then the AoA would have been higher and the forward view restricted. Of course there's nothing to say that was the way the approach was flown. However, with full flap, even if the approach is low compared with the optimal, the forward view from a PA-28 is good (should your seat be adjusted properly, or you're propped up on the appropriate number of cushions if challenged vertically). Add to the scenario that the PA-28 might have been flown by a student and there's a mutitude of factors that could come into play. So potentially both pilots will be dropping their pants for the FAAs pleasure HELP

Southend

and Jersey

Cheers

Rich

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I read a response to this a day or so ago

It seems the airfield (non radio) has trees near the hold making if difficult for the hold to see the approach and the approaching to see anything on the hold

It went on to say they were not surprised given the added blindspots of the Stinson.

They also said this was not uncommon, only the actual contact is usually avoided.

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Our local news said that the Instructor in the Piper and the pilot in the Stinson are neighbors and were chatting away on the radio prior to the accident. I wonder if the neighbors are still on speaking terms? :lol:

Brian

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I think the problem was when the guy in the Stinson asked he mate to "drop in on me sometime" :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."