FSX add-ons...the lack of?

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Trev Clark
The Ministry

FSX add-ons...the lack of?

Post by Trev Clark »

This is not a dig at FSX, just a query!

A lot of you guys have now moved on to FSX and I was wondering have you pretty been cured of the old disease of 'serial downloading' which (in my case was caused by the huge amount of stuff being made for FS2004, on a daily basis) or do you think that the improvements in FSX make all those extras redundant now? ?

If you look at the Avsim 'Top 100', only 4 files are for FSX, the rest are general or FS2004.
Does anyone else think that a possible 'sea change' is taking place in this hobby, and people are content with sim straight out of the box, plus selected 'hi-quality' payware, which is not at places like avsim?
ATB Trev

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Re: FSX add-ons...the lack of?

Post by Garry Russell »

There is very little true FS.X stuff to download as it is so complex to make.

If it was being made in the same numbers as FS.9 and most of the community had moved over then downloads would be a far higher number.

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Trev..

Two things..
I feel a lot of folk really can't be bothered to 'move up' and secondly.. to build fully native FSX addons (especially aircraft) is rather more complicated. The amount of payware software available for FSX continues to grow but this doesn't appear to have carried over into freeware :dunno:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

DogTailRed2
Concorde
Concorde

Post by DogTailRed2 »

Hi,

I'm a user not a developer. I have been using FS every since the C64 and Sublogic.
Upto FS2000 it wasn't a case of 'this sim won't run on my computer' because you had to upgrade your machine to run
anything so FS always seemed to work okay. Around the time of my last but one upgrade which was around 5-8 years or so
my PC had sortof caught up so there was no need to upgrade. It ran all my old programmes, the internet, my old games. It just wouldn't run FS2004. So for the past 3-4 years I hadn't used my flightsim. Then life got in the way, a house move, the PC section dwindling in GAME and consoles and my old trusty PC got neglected. Anyway this year I finally blew my bonus on a new setup. Quad core, 3gig RAM, 512 graphics etc. Bought a yoke, rudder pedals. Cost around £1500 quid I guess. That's quite a commitment for one programme. The point to all this being after having to shell out that kind of dosh I'm not interested in sub-standard addons or fs2004 port overs, only good flyable FSX dedicated ones. I've tried a few port overs and they just don't work well. When I see works in FS2004 and FSX I just don't bother unless it states a dedicated FSX model. I'm a simmer that likes to fly. That means flyable and good cockpit design rather than external looks. I notice a lot of simmers go for the externals rather than these factors which means a lot of nice models with rubbish flight characteristics.

I think the problem with the uptake of FSX is cost. You need a pretty good rig to use it well. Desire. Consoles are taking over. PC games are becomming less and less so not as many people taking up the hobby and consequently not so many developers. Possibly age and time constraints (I've yet to build the Airfix Stirling in my loft let alone learn how to build an FSX one). If you already have a pretty good setup with FS2004 then it's a lot of effort to wipe the slate and start again. Wait until the next FS version comes out. if it doesn't work on my new PC then I doubt I will even consider an upgrade unless there is some kind of backwards compatibility built in.

The main thing that is stopping me bulk downloading is that after creating a quality rig I want quality add-ons to support it. Since owning FSX I have purchased Aerosoft Beaver, A Harvard and downloaded Dave G's Beaufighter (which has become my favourite plane). That's pretty much it. Would love a quality Jet (the hawk looks tempting) and some more warbirds (Lancaster would be nice). I'm not prepared to add sub-standard addons.

Oops, stryed a bit there :-) to answer the original question
"Does anyone else think that a possible 'sea change' is taking place in this hobby, and people are content with sim straight out of the box, plus selected 'hi-quality' payware, which is not at places like avsim?
"

I'm happy with the sim straight out of the box. I have also added payware scenery for UK airports and Textures. I will only download selected 'good quality' FSX dedicated addons.

Regards,

Ted.

p.s. When's someone doing a Lanc then and don't forget the Dams!

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Hello, my name is Paul K and I am a serial downloader. Blimey, does that expression ring true; I've still got stuff I downloaded for FS98 thats never been installed, let alone FS9 and 10. :lol:

I've got FSX installed, but more as a 'look and see what its like' try out until I get my new computer later this year. However, I'm so impressed with it, even now, that I feel inclined to focus on proven quality and really get to know those aircraft intimately, rather than just grab anything that takes my fancy and then let it sit gathering dust. I feel I want to do the sim justice, if you see what I mean.

Dave G's Beaufighter is a case in point. Because there is little else to download at the moment, I've been spending more time with it than perhaps I would have if distracted by Simviation, Avsim and Allnodes. Consequently, I'm really getting to know it, and finding it that much more enjoyable and rewarding. So in my case, and my chronic download addiction, less may definitely be more.

Anyway, I think Dave B's observations sum up the general situation succinctly.

EDIT: Ted posted while I was typing, and I agree with many of the points he's made. Ted, I've yet to try out the Plane Design Lancaster package in FSX, but will do this weekend.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hello, my name is Paul K and I am a serial downloader.
:lol: :lol: :lol: How darned true is that. I've 4 pc's setup here that also carry over things I never actually installed and 2 have FSX installed which show an almost virginal quality. I have actually bought a couple of addons for FSX.. the latest being MegaAirports Frankfurt as I loved the FS9 version so much. Unfortunately.. it doesn't look or run as well in FSX as it did in FS9 but there you go. Scotflight scenery is there but has been taken off as it interferes with a beta of HMS Glamorgan. GenX is there along with FSX versions of some of the UK2000 Extreme series. I bought FSCommander v8 to navigate with and that's about it. Not one single aircraft bought and my current list of addons are Rick's last Chipmouse.. his Hawk beta and DG's Beaufighter. Whether it's a lack of FSX native aircraft that have stopped me buying more or my indifference with FSX I honestly couldn't say although a combination of the two is likely.

ATB

ImageImage

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Does Rick's Chipmunk work ok in FSX ? Its another I've yet to transfer across and try out. Busy weekend ahead, methinks.

DogTailRed2
Concorde
Concorde

Post by DogTailRed2 »

Paul K wrote:Hello, my name is Paul K and I am a serial downloader. Blimey, does that expression ring true; I've still got stuff I downloaded for FS98 thats never been installed, let alone FS9 and 10. :lol:
Hadn't thought of that. I used to download stuff, forget about it and then delete it cos I'd forgotten what it was for or added scenery for areas I never ever flew in!

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Paul..

The last version works fine mate ;-) I forgot to add DG's Rapide to that list above :rock:

ATB

ImageImage

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

DogTailRed2 wrote:
Paul K wrote:Hello, my name is Paul K and I am a serial downloader. Blimey, does that expression ring true; I've still got stuff I downloaded for FS98 thats never been installed, let alone FS9 and 10. :lol:
Hadn't thought of that. I used to download stuff, forget about it and then delete it cos I'd forgotten what it was for or added scenery for areas I never ever flew in!
Ted, that has to be the defining symptom of chronic download disorder...download scenery, install it, and then never go there!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Dave, already found the Rapide in Avsim's FSX section so guessed as much, and good news on the Chipmunk too. A great favourite, that one. If the PD Lancaster, Lancastrian and Spitfire work ok, I've got enough to be going on with. :)

CHEERS