HU RAF Today (Friday)

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

HU RAF Today (Friday)

Post by hobby »

Just got in at the tail end of the news and I think that BBC1 TV will be broadcasting the flypast etc (weather permitting) at 14:15 Hrs today.

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Re: HU RAF Today (Friday)

Post by Trev Clark »

Just going upstairs to watch it now, thanks!!!
ATB Trev

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

Well that was OK, some nice stuff in there (the 10 in very close formation with the Sentry stood out for me :thumbsup: ) but on the whole these 'strung out' formations lack the big impression one got when you see footage of things like the coronation display from 1953.

Still with 90 (ish) aircraft in the air and some on the ground (given the current operational overstretching), a good job all concerned :welldone:
ATB Trev

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I DO wish Aunty Beeb would get folk who have a vague idea what the hell they're talking about to report at these events. 45mins of watching the display would have been far more interesting :roll:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

fighterpilot
Trident
Trident

Post by fighterpilot »

It was certainly woth switching to bbc interactive where all we got was the flypast with Sean Maffett commentating on it, and i have to say some of the camera work wasn't up to much but it was certainly worth watching.

Richard
ImageImage

Bridon Bear
The Ministry

Post by Bridon Bear »

I too switched to the Interactive commentary which was miles better than the initial presenters were doing.....plus he had the decency to stop talking when the BBMF flight passed over to enable us to listen to the classic Merlins......wonderful.. :thumbsup:

TV coverage of any air display sadly appears to be a thing of the past....we used to see Biggin Hill, RIAT and several other venues, admitedly several weeks or months after the event but nevertheless usually a good 60-90 mins of footage.

Wonder why they do not do it now.....perhaps there are too many commercial coverages of said events sold on DVD.....even the traditional TV coverage of Battle of Britain related films in September during 'Wings Week' have passed into history, though I think the reason for that could be the obsessive paranoia to the 'PC' World we now live in.

Thank you anyway Auntie BBC for a good 45minutes viewing. ;-)

Regards.

Bridon Bear

'Only Birds and Fools Fly'

http://thethriftysquirrels.co.uk

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

Nice to see Tonks's office being used for the presentation! He rather missed an opportunity for 15 minutes of fame! I'm certain he wasn't there because he would never have allowed Kate Silverton to shelter under the wing while Dan Snow sat in the dry :lol: At least Snow appreciated the VC10's classic status and treated it with respect, though.

I've got a ticket for tomorrow so hopefully Kate will stick me under the wing with a rug over my knees, like she did with all the seniors today ;-)

Ian :)

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

TV coverage of any air display sadly appears to be a thing of the past....we used to see Biggin Hill, RIAT and several other venues, admitedly several weeks or months after the event but nevertheless usually a good 60-90 mins of footage.
I think that era died along with Raymond Baxter.. certainly one of if not THE best airshow presenter of modern times :-(

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

AlexP
Trident
Trident

Post by AlexP »

Some more footage of the RAF's 90th anniversary celibrations and flypast from the BBC news website:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7502541.stm

Well done to those marching, they must have got soaked to the bone in that downpour.

Alex

P.S. I’d initially posted this link in it’s own thread but then noticed this one. So to keep things tidy I’ve deleted my original post and moved the content into this one.