A toast please ladies and gentlemen

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

A toast please ladies and gentlemen

Post by hobby »

September 15th. Today is Battle of Britain Day.

You may wish to drink a toast to all those involved, both civilian and military, on both sides of The Channel.

Some years ago an Air Chief Marshal was asked to give a talk to sixth formers at a Public School on his experiences as a young fighter pilot in that battle.

At the appointed time this officer addressed about 100 17-18 year olds. He began by asking if anyone present knew when this battle took place. He was astonished to find that some present believed the battle to have been part of the napoleonic wars of the previous (19th) century! A little daunted he proceeded to give his illustrated talk which lasted about 40 minutes. As is the custom he finished by inviting his audience to ask questions.

One brave young man stood up and asked:
'Do you mean to tell us, sir, that young men about a year older than myself after being shot down were sent back to fight without any counselling?'

With a silent sigh the ACM gave a reply which is reputed to have been as follows:
'Of course they were given counselling, Rupert, it went something like this. The young pilot on return to the airfield was taken to the local pub by his CO and given a pint of beer. After chatting about the latest cricket match the CO said to the young man.

"Now Jeremy you must keep an eye open to the rear of your aircraft at all times, stick with your number one. Bear in mind that I hate writing letters and your Mum and I want you back safe and sound. We can always get a new aircraft from the factory tomorrow but we can't get a new pilot as quickly. Now off we go back to the airfield and I'll see you for tea in the mess. Good luck!"

With that the young man was driven back to his airfield and continued to fly as required'

The sixth formers of the 1980s seemed stunned and there were no more questions but a great deal of respect had been won by the elderly man before them.

'Nuff said.

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: A toast please ladies and gentlemen

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ah.. counselling :lol:

Nice story Hobby. I'll have a drink to the boys in blue tonight :drinkers:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

RobDob
Trident
Trident

Post by RobDob »

I shall be doing the same! CHEERS

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

CHEERS To those few who gave us so much

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

NigelC
Concorde
Concorde

Post by NigelC »

I may just have few tonight in memory of the beer......erm, beer tonight in memory of the few CHEERS

The BoB film was on TV a couple of weeks ago, terrific movie, I watch it whenever I get the chance.

Alas, on this occasion, my "notable other" was in residence which made it a li'l awkward................she's German!

NigelC

"Speed building both sides.....passing one hundred knots.....V1..rotate...oh sh*t..."

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Nigel..

I can't help but watch it when it's on too.. like a moth drawn to a flame :lol: If I get bored 'tween broadcasts.. I also have the DVD (and VHS).. just in case ;-)

I'm sure your other half will appreciate that the BoB film is one of a handful that are strictly no 'BS'.. even though the story is told from our side :rock:

ATB

ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

Thanks for reminding me Hobby

Ill wear my 50th Anniversary Teeshirt today -- the folks hereabouts will wonder what the hell it is :)

Leif

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

DaveB wrote:Hi Nigel..

I can't help but watch it when it's on too.. like a moth drawn to a flame :lol: If I get bored 'tween broadcasts.. I also have the DVD (and VHS).. just in case ;-)

BoB film? The one with Laurence Olivier and a big list of super stars? Oh and who can forget Susannah York. Yes, I have that on Beta, VHS and DVD. One of my favourites of course.

:drinkers: To all the brave souls who served the many.

Nigel²

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

nigelb wrote:Oh and who can forget Susannah York.
OH YES! :dancer:

I remember watching the BoB movie at the local flea pit as a spotty teenager when it was first released. Seeing Ms. York in those stockings in the bedroom scene brought me out in a hot flush I tell ya. :o

I have the BoB movie on DVD now and still play it from time to time (and yes S.Y. still looks damn hot!)
Larry