My first 727 flight

Classic Non-Brit Forum.
A dedicated area to post on your favourite 'Classic' non-British freeware flightsim aircraft.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

My first 727 flight

Post by speedbird591 »

Just got around to downloading Erick Cantu's Vistaliner 727. What a handsome aircraft and what a beautiful model.

NO prizes for guessing the airport :lol:

Ian

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: My first 727 flight

Post by Paul K »

Very nice indeed. The 727 is a handsome plane anyway, and thats a lovely model of it.

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

Ian -- Its VERY addictive --- just remember to wear ear plugs cos if you use the sound set I have the wind noise
around the windscreen will drive you deaf !!!!!!

Just waiting for Erick to load the 100 FDE and I'll be a happy camper --- For a freebie - you cant touch it - and in many
ways IMHO its far superior to the payware efforts

Leif

rpjkw11
Meteor
Meteor
Location: Rio Rancho, New Mexico (The other side of the Pond)

Post by rpjkw11 »

I'm confused concerning the FDE for the 727-100. I've been flying the plane since she came out with no problems. :flying: Is there an expected update? I learned a long time ago that if Eric's name is on it, I will be very happy with it.

Bob

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

My belief is that the 100 has the FDE of a 200......or something like that was told to me :think:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

Garry Russell wrote:My belief is that the 100 has the FDE of a 200......or something like that was told to me :think:
Yes, that seems to be right. I've only downloaded the -200s as the ANA -200 is the only livery I can find suitable for Hong Kong 1980s :lol: I know, I know, you all think I'm a sad b*gg*r trapped in a time and space warp! But you know what? I don't care, I'm as happy as a happy person in a very happy place Image

Anyway, there seem to be 2 FDEs, one for the -200 and one for the -200 Advanced. The FDE that comes with the -100 Beta is the -200 Advanced. I can't see anything on the Vistaliners forum that suggests an update, but I'm new to these 727s so I don't really know :worried:

But the FDE for the -200 is fantastic and the aircraft handles like a dream. I'm making better landings at Kai Tak in this than in the VC10 :) Here's a full screen shot which is better quality than the 800 pixels I can show here. http://www.roymiddleton.btinternet.co.u ... ana_13.jpg

A couple of things about the Probst panel that you more experienced 727 flyers might be able to help me with. That awful cockpit ticking sound that apparently is the altimeter vibrator. The panel manual says that it is quieter than the real thing and points you towards the offending .wav file to adjust the volume. But the named file doesn't exist and renaming the one that seems to be the offender makes no difference. I'm sure it's authentic, but 727 pilots were paid a lot of money to put up with it, I'm not :lol:

Autothrottles. The manual says to set the speed bug and EPR gauges at take off and use the autothrottle switch for take-off and climb and the throttles will settle at the preset speed. But they don't and the speed keeps increasing beyond the bug setting. Anybody cracked this?

Ian

rpjkw11
Meteor
Meteor
Location: Rio Rancho, New Mexico (The other side of the Pond)

Post by rpjkw11 »

Duh! :doho: As many times I've been in the -100s 'innards' to add paints, I never noticed the airfile was for the -200. :dunno:

Thanks for the enlightenment :thumbsup:

Bob

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DispatchDragon »

Having spent a few hours on 727 flight decks I can testify as to how loud they were -- Rick (RJP) can also tell you -- The Altimeter Vibrator really was that loud but after a while you didn't notice it (honest) It also seems to me that the Invertor sound
was louder IRL - something akin to HJG/Aeromusica's DC8 Inverter sound - and as I mentioned before the wind noise drowned
EVERYTHING out after a while -- One of the reasons (supposedly) that Delta reduced the cruise on the 200 from .82 to .78 was that at .82 the noise was so bad conversation between the crew had to be carried on over the IC Shouting. The figures that appear in the 727-100s model are a dead give away - the weights are ALL for a 200 plus the fact that almost all 100s were powered by JT8D-7s and 9s - where as the 200s started with the -9 (A real lead sled PSA had some and they couldnt get out of their own way) to -15 and 17s so there is rather a difference in performance (Rather like the difference between flying DMs Comet 4 and Jens Comet 1) I remember sitting on the jumpseat of Key -100 taking off for KCLE on a hot summer evening from KLAS you got a really good look at the other end of 25R and the cars on Las Vegas Boulevard (Good thing that Mandalay Bay resort and Luxor didnt exsist back then) -- climb performance with a heavy loaded on +40C days was NOT sparkling.

Sorry didn't mean to go on

leif

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

This text file is in the -200 download folder. Does it mean that by changing this setting in the .cfg file, you can recreate the performance of the -100? I'm a bit confused by these as it gives the same values for the JT8D-7B and -9A. The default setting for the -200 is 12600.00 and for the -200Adv is 13750.00.
We thought we'd provide you with this file so that you could, provided you know basic aircraft.cfg editing, give your 727 the proper engines for what you want to do. This is aimed more or less at painters who may need to give an aircraft specific engines, but it's for the general public as well if they want to customize their 727.

Following is a set of MCT values to enter in the [TurbineEngineData] static_thrust section. These are NOT fully rated values but rather MCT values. The engine tables will give you the full thrust rating when you need it (and you shouldn't!).

They are as follows:

JT8D-7B/9A/11 - 12600.00
JT8D-15A - 13750.00
JT8D-17/17R - 15200.00
Leif, it sounds like you had a lot of fun on the 727-100s. There's something exciting about powerful machines that can only just do the job with skill and coaxing. Like steam engines, I suppose. I stopped enjoying motorcycling when I got my first Honda 750 because it did everything (well, everything I could do!) too easily. And the RR Trent did it for flying. Those 777s just did everything with no effort and power to spare (except the occasional landing at LHR :worried: ) no more adrenaline rushes like on the 747 Classics! I suppose that's why we like to fly the old aircraft in FS.

Ian

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DispatchDragon »

Ian

Looking at the MCT values I would say yes - you can modify the fde DOWN to 100 parameters (-7 and -9)
however also in the config for Vistaliners 727-100 the weights pertain to 200 series aircraft.

I will defer to Erick -- when he drops by - seriously as far as FS is concerned he his far more knowledgeable than
I -- I have (over the years) worked 727-100s with three different engine sets -- (I wont talk about the one off
modification that had -15s and was known as the Homesick Angel) 200s with all engine groups EXCEPT the
rather natty ones that Fedex flew that Dee Howard converted for Stage 3. Your correct in what you say - besides
the fact the the charter companines I woked for were flying 20 year old airframes - there was always the attempt
to squeeze every last ounce of range and payload from the aircraft (We operated PHL-LAJ with one company with
a 100 with 128 swabbies on board -- LAJ-PHL was a hit and miss affair using redispatch and St Johns as a fuel
diversion if needed - We routinely operated BOS-Aruba, Port Of Spain , Henawora , and Bonaire with 135 bucket and
spaders on board -- thats a long way for any "medium" jet.

Leif

Much later we thought nothing of Fish Freighters from Panama to Miami or even Seattle to Atlanta for USPS.