Science Musuem Back room video...

Links to Classic British Flightsim themed images only please.
Please post in jpg or png format and no bigger than 1024 x 768

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

sketchy74
Vulcan
Vulcan
Location: Los Angeles, California, But an ExPat Brit from Cornwall

Science Musuem Back room video...

Post by sketchy74 »

Not too sure if this has been posted before.

An interesting short video about the Science Museum's storage just south of the M4 near Swindon, which I always thought was RAF Lyneham driving past...what do I know..?! nothing clearly! lol

I thought it may be of interest to a few...It has a few clips of the Constellation there and the Comet, it is from the Telegraph website so you have to endure the advert at the start....

http://link.brightcove.com/services/lin ... 1873805449

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Re: Science Musuem Back room video...

Post by Garry Russell »

Ah yes Wroughton :D

Went there once

If ever a Comet was to fly again that one is a good bet...Canopus is none standard and never was.

Contains the only complete Trident 3B and that and the Comet are probably in much the same condition as when they flew in.

If only................... :think:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

Post by Buggyman »

The site is the old RAF Wroughton and, when I lived in Swindon in the 1980's, there used to be the odd open day. Normally it was early summer when the aircraft hangar was being given a spring clean and so 'mobile exhibits' such as the cars and the aircraft were out in the open. I think I went twice and it was very interesting.

Anyone know if there are still open days? Not much use to me living in the Scottish Borders but it would be worth a visit for those living closer.

Allan

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

It was also a major store for RN Helicopters

When they did have open days I think it was four a year....don't know about nowadays

I was lucky and it was open on the Sunday I was in the area

Trident G-AVYE had just been chucked out and was in the carpark

It is the only time in my life I've ever parked between a Ford Transit and an Trident 1E :lol:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

Nice bit of film spoilt by some absolute Twaddle comentating -- and Standing Nukes up is an Act of war --- Ooer - then lets see Huntsville, San Diego Vandenberg are all politically incorrect

Nice film though

Leif

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

Standing Nukes up is an Act of war
To be honest unless you launch them they just stand there in the silo/submarine, there's a big book of things that are acts of war somewhere* I'll see if I can find it and what the actual position on Nukes is. I think technically launching aircraft from a ship inside someone else's territorial waters and then landing at one of their airports without diplomatic clearance or a flight plan is an act of war, but who'd do something like that....**

*May not be it's actual official title.
**They wouldn't answer the phone.

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

Post by hobby »

RAF Wroughton also had a dedicted RAF Hospital Wroughton from which I was invalided out of the service in 1957.

At the time of Suez, while patient at that hospital, I was detailed off to assist in the care of a paratrooper who had been wounded in the stomach just after landing by parachutr. He said he had only been on Egyption soil for ten minutes before being airlifted by helicopter to a carrier and from there he was flown ashore, presumably to Cyprus, to be returned via an air medical flight to the UK. Do not know which UK airfield he came to but he ended up in RAF Wroughton hospital.

Wroughton was avery busy and complex series of RAF installations in those days.

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DispatchDragon »

I thought they were laying on their sides because they were in their transport cradles

But what would I know -- was that a P1127 tail they kept showing??

Leif

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

I thought they were laying on their sides because they were in their transport cradles
Are we talking the ones you drop or the ones that go whoosh.......bang? To be honest unless you attach it to a delivery system it's not much of an act of ....... hold on are they saying those are actual nuclear f****** weapons?? Are they seriously saying the Science Museum's reserve collection has two exhibits that if they were stood on end would constitute an act of war, in which case take the fissionable material out of them and put it somewhere really secure, otherwise they're aren't nuclear weapons they're replicas which sure could contain enough explosive to really ruin you're day, but even France wouldn't think about surrendering to that.

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DispatchDragon »

Hence the comments about commentary twaddle

Looks like they are both Whooshers actually one looks like the MIRV platform from Blue Streak -- but I didnt know
there was anything left of the project

Leif