Delay to carriers..

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

forthbridge
Concorde
Concorde

Delay to carriers..

Post by forthbridge »

Jim

John
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Delay to carriers..

Post by John »

Well we guessed knew the aircraft may be late, but this is very sad news

John
never give up, never surrender

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

To be honest with the continual delay waiting for anyone to make a decision as to whether they were going to order them the planned in-service date always looked unlikely. They say they're not going to delay the start of construction just take longer building them, it may just mean they're going to do it at a sensible pace rather than rush it.
Still concerning they think introducing a new ship and new aircraft at the same time is a sensible course of action as opposed to working the bugs out of one of them first.
Oh and they've finally ordered Future Lynx which is a bonus!

sketchy74
Vulcan
Vulcan
Location: Los Angeles, California, But an ExPat Brit from Cornwall

Post by sketchy74 »

SkippyBing wrote: Oh and they've finally ordered Future Lynx which is a bonus!
Question is....are they going to trust you to get your mitts on them?! lol

JimCooper
Lightning
Lightning

Post by JimCooper »

I know Aircraft Carriers are there to carry the aircraft that provide fighter cover for the other ships, and the Destroyers and Frigates are there to provide protection for the Carrier. So if we didn't have an Aircraft Carrier we wouldn't need Destroyers and Frigates to protect it, and if we didn't have Destroyers and Frigates we wouldn't need a Carrier to provide their air cover. So why do we need the Navy?? ...... Stands back and waits for the flame war.

Jim

Hot_Charlie
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Hot_Charlie »

JimCooper wrote:So why do we need the Navy?? ...... Stands back and waits for the flame war.
Or maybe, for offensive purposes, why do we need a surface fleet (other "non combat" and protection jobs aside)?

Surely "the deterrent" and Tomahawk equipped subs fulfil such purposes?
Charlie

[Intentionally Blank]

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

You pair are feeling brave tonight! :o

To be honest, In the past two major campaigns I think that each of the services has filled a role. I always remember my brother rabitting on about how the airforce always got too much cash and it was the army that won battles etc, and he has a point. But I also remember one of my mates going out to GW2 on Argus and then onto Ocean before being despatched to asault Basra that night, and there was air cover too, so on those occasions, we all work as a unit and that what makes us.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I once read that it was the army that won the battle, but it's the Navy and the Air Force that enable them to do it.

Well......... situations will vary but as Ben says they all have their part to play.........and all parts are vital.

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Hot_Charlie
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Ben Watson wrote:You pair are feeling brave tonight! :o

To be honest, In the past two major campaigns I think that each of the services has filled a role. I always remember my brother rabitting on about how the airforce always got too much cash and it was the army that won battles etc, and he has a point. But I also remember one of my mates going out to GW2 on Argus and then onto Ocean before being despatched to asault Basra that night, and there was air cover too, so on those occasions, we all work as a unit and that what makes us.
HMS Ocean on the other hand... :) With the RAF being so "expeditionary" though, do we need FJ's on ships? Or build helo carriers with the overflow capability to take FW aircraft?

Tough decisions either way. Thankfully, I doubt I'll ever need to make them! :lol:
Charlie

[Intentionally Blank]

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I'm minded that we don't need any more than Harrier style fixed wing capability on ships, but I'm just an armchair observer. :lol:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage