RAF Llanbedr

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

markw
Comet
Comet

RAF Llanbedr

Post by markw »

Just in case those of you on the other side of Offas Dyke haven't heard, the on-going row between the well-meaning but misguided Snowdonia Society and pretty much the rest of the Cambrian Coast regarding the future of RAF Llanbedr has been resolved. Just before Christmas the Welsh Assembly Government finally agreed to lease the site to Kemble Air Services for 125 years as a commercial airfield and business park/place for Jeremy Clarkson to race overpriced cars at stupid speeds. The row had been dragging on since the spring and a proposed air day for August had to be cancelled when the contracts were not signed in time.

The report from the Llywodraeth Cynulliad Cymru ought to show those who have nothing but scorn and cynisism for politicians that they can get things right, and it's also a good advertisment for devolution as I suspect Whitehall might have made a different decision. Mind you, our local Welsh Assembly member is the speaker of the Assembly and the local Member of the Westminster Parliament is the leader of the Welsh Nationalists so politically it was a no-brainer...

The Government decision is on http://wales.gov.uk/location/central_wa ... 6/?lang=en whilst the placeholder website of the new Llanbedr Airshow is at http://www.llanbedrairday.com/index.html which might be worth looking into from time to time to see what is happening, although if I see anything in our local newspaper I'll post it here just in case anyone fancies coming over to see the show. You could easily combine it with a trip to the Caernarfon Airworld site and a yomp up the Bwlch just outside Dolgellau to watch Hawks pretend-strafing cars on the A483 whilst doing the Mach loop!

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Re: RAF Llanbedr

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Nice to see it's been saved. I spent many happy hours plane spotting while camping on the adjacent 'Shell Island' back in the early 80's.
Larry

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: RAF Llanbedr

Post by TSR2 »

That is a great result. 125 years gives me plenty of time to get down and have a look see :dancer:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage