AAAAAAAARRRGGGHHH!

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Pielstick
Meteor
Meteor

AAAAAAAARRRGGGHHH!

Post by Pielstick »

I was using my laptop in bed earlier this evening and put it down next to the bed. A little while later I leaned across the bed to get something, then put my foot on the floor...

CRUNCH!

...stood on the top of my laptop. The laptop works fine, but I've managed to crack the LCD. It's an Alienware m15x, less than a year old. I've just emailed Alienware to see how much it will cost to repair, but I bet it won't be bloody cheap! The other problem is I am in Belgrade at the moment until 28th February, then I'm off to join my next ship on 16th March, so I very much doubt I will be able to get the laptop repaired in time.

B*****KS.

:@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@

STUPID
The two best tools in any engineer's inventory are brute force and ignorance and he should always live by the engineer's motto "Bodge it and scarper!"

Techy111
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Re: AAAAAAAARRRGGGHHH!

Post by Techy111 »

Surely if it was under warranty..? if bought from a good shop...that should be covered mate...?

Didn't it fall accidently to the floor..????

Tony
The last surviving and complete Vickers Vanguard....."Superb"
ImageImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

There are days when everything in your favour is against you. I think you've just had one of those days :doho:

Wouldn't have been so bad if someone else had done the necessary.. all the worse that you've done it yourself! :brick:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

basys
VC10
VC10

Post by basys »

Hi Folks

Pielstick -
Feel your pain.
Had a near miss with my own.

Previous exp -
Dell had a very fast turnaround for such repairs, (2 days at repair-centre, Liverpool).
You could check if somewhere local to your current.

Just watch out that they don't dump you with dead pixels.

ATB
Paul
I've never felt so frustrated....... died so frequently/spectacularly/or needlessly....... yet had so much fun, in a long time.
Flight's Landing Challenges - Earn your wings !

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

I washed a laptop with cranberry juice,

later I found a drive and a new keyboard at a computer shop cheap and repaired it myself,
hopefully some good luck will come your way there and you'll find one at a great price. and even better , free

the memory still haunts me.... it was one of those deals where I saw it happening but, was powerless to stop it. :$

Pielstick
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Pielstick »

Techy111 wrote:Surely if it was under warranty..? if bought from a good shop...that should be covered mate...?

Didn't it fall accidently to the floor..????
Nope, it was my fault, the warranty only covers faulty manufacturing of material defects. That'll teach me to leave expensive things on the floor. I'm truly gutted, I always take very good care of my kit and I've never broken anything expensive like this before :o

I'm still waiting for a reply from Alienware. If they can get the thing repaired for me in very short order (ie before I join the ship) then I will send it away. I might even take the opportunity get them to upgrade the CPU or graphics card.

Otherwise, I'll buy a seperate LCD display to take away with me and plug it into that. The LCD works fine, I can still use the computer, it just looks like some dopey sod has stood on it :brick:
The two best tools in any engineer's inventory are brute force and ignorance and he should always live by the engineer's motto "Bodge it and scarper!"

Techy111
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Techy111 »

Let us know how you get on fella..? Maybe drop a little heads up to Alienware that your joining ship...? they have an excellent after sales team.... ;-)

Tony
The last surviving and complete Vickers Vanguard....."Superb"
ImageImageImage

Captain Pugwash
Lightning
Lightning

Post by Captain Pugwash »

last year my hp lap top screen died and i went to find out how much to fix. well to cut a long story short. the computer was $2200.00 when i bought it without tax, to replace the screen would cost $1000.00 without tax and shipping. not realy worth the trouble as i could buy another machine at half the price and better specs.
for my job i had to buy a lap top, the only one that would handle the punishment and abuse was the panasonic toughbook, reputed to be able to take a 1ton drive over it with no damage. i can say it has handled -38c weather ok and i did drop it down a flight of stairs. yes my heart took a pounding as this thing shoot off my work trolly and bounched down to the next level. no damage. the cost of parts might be cheaper in the uk than over here in canada.
when i was in the RFA my insurance company would cover my camera equipment, whilst at sea. but one clause was not in a war zone.if you have insurance try saying the ship was thrown by a large swell that threw it off the day bed and it dropped on to the deck and broke the screen.

Pielstick
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Pielstick »

Yeah that's an idea. I might also see if I can claim anything on the contents insurance at home.

One thing that bugs me is I have spent literally months installing stuff on this laptop for FS9 and FSX, as well as some other games that I have lots of mods for. I would be more than a little peeved if I had to start again with a new laptop!

When I was on Diligence I remember we had some of those Panasonic Toughbooks in the MCR. I looked to see how much they cost, and they are bloody expensive!

I'm still waiting on a reply from Alienware to see what I need to do to get this thing fixed. It would be a lot easier if I was in the UK right now as I could just phone them! If they can't get it fixed for me before I go away I may just buy a seperate display...

I was looking on Aria last night and found a very nice looking LG 22" display for 230 quid. It's full HD compatible with more inputs than you can shake a stick at, and it also has a built in TV tuner. I could use it as a TV, computer display, as well as for my Xbox. I'm joining Bayleaf in refit in Birkenhead, so I'm not flying anywhere. I reckon I could fit it in my suitcase, and it would be quite funny to see what the Old Man says when he sees it on his rounds - I've been picked up on rounds before for having a cabin that looked like a Dixons superstore :) The only potential problem is after the refit and restore we will be doing a work up and then FOST, so I would have to hide everything before the FOSTies do their inspection. Anyway, the Chief Engineer on Wave Knight out in the Gulf last year had a 42" LCD in his cabin (and an exercise bike) and nobody said anything to him!

forthbridge
Concorde
Concorde

Post by forthbridge »

Pielstick wrote: I've been picked up on rounds before for having a cabin that looked like a Dixons superstore :) The only potential problem is after the refit and restore we will be doing a work up and then FOST, so I would have to hide everything before the FOSTies do their inspection. Anyway, the Chief Engineer on Wave Knight out in the Gulf last year had a 42" LCD in his cabin (and an exercise bike) and nobody said anything to him!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Were they on the bridge wondering why they were only getting 3.5 knots at full chat?? :lol:
Jim