Auster Fuel Gauge Question

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Swanoir
Concorde
Concorde

Auster Fuel Gauge Question

Post by Swanoir »

Where is it?

I've been in two minds whether to post this question or not. Everyone here seems to have gone Auster mad (quite rightly) and it appears we even have some folk who have flown/fly the real thing. I have a sinking feeling this is going to be one of those questions which those in the know will fall about laughing at!
So, please be gentle before pointing out the bloomin' obvious, thanks!

By the way, I also made one of those hilarious prop first landings, for some reason I forgot to record the scene for posterity in a screenshot. I wonder why?

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Auster Fuel Gauge Question

Post by DaveB »

Hello Matey..

Sitting dead-centre on top of the glareshield you can see a little rectangle with numbers visible. The numbers represent fuel remaining ;-) I'm given to believe that the real one bounces around a bit.. something DaveM wasn't able to replicate (or anyone else for that matter) :)

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

T6flyer
VC10
VC10

Post by T6flyer »

I tend not to look at it that much, as it seems to change every five minutes or so......the Autocrat isnt the best aeroplane for range....akin to that of the Chipmunk. And at times, bounce can become an understatement. Like the Harvard, the Auster is a good trainer.
Martin

The sim version is spot on as to quantities used as last weekend replicated a flight taken in December to Old Sarum and back in G-AIGD and I ended up with the same result as did on that somewhat blustery day (when are we going to get some nice weather?!).

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

DaveB wrote:I'm given to believe that the real one bounces around a bit.. something DaveM wasn't able to replicate (or anyone else for that matter) :)
I'm going to give it a damn good go ;-)
Dave G.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi Dave..

Well.. there are things possible in 'X' that are not possible in 9 so good luck with that ;-) Actually.. I doubt that the full range of 'effects' has been done in 9 either nor probably will they ever be. A lot depends on imagination and how clever the gauge programmer is! :)

ATB

ImageImage

T6flyer
VC10
VC10

Post by T6flyer »

I thought it was the aeroplane that bounced around and not the fuel gauge, but then thats probably down to my eyesight and my so called flying ability! :)

Martin

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I doubt very much it's your flying ability Martin.. more my misunderstanding of your earlier 'bouncing' statement ;-) If it's the aircraft bouncing around.. the FS9 model already does that nicely when the weather is anything less than dead calm! :lol:

ATB

ImageImage

T6flyer
VC10
VC10

Post by T6flyer »

DaveB wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

I doubt very much it's your flying ability Martin.. more my misunderstanding of your earlier 'bouncing' statement ;-) If it's the aircraft bouncing around.. the FS9 model already does that nicely when the weather is anything less than dead calm! :lol:

ATB

I know what you mean, the FS9 version is spot on (didnt manage to get it on its nose tonight!). And whenever is the weather dead calm? I always have a bit of wind on, to make it all that little bit more interesting. The 9 when its dead calm is a whole lot different. Somehow and I've never seen it myself, on a nice day and with little wind, it sometimes has this weird effect of the left wing almost touching the ground when a perfect landing is made. Whatever controls inputs are made, it carries out this merry little dance, until all three wheels are back on the ground again. It has never been worked out why, but I somehow think it has something to do with the way that the ailerons droop with the flaps. Weird or what?

Martin

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:o :o Wierd indeed! :think:

As you say, the weather is NEVER absolutely still and with ActiveSky6.5 in charge of proceedings, an indicated wind of as little as 2kts will see the little J1 shake it's head on a regular basis :lol: It must be absolutely delightful to fly the real thing based on what you've said of the model ;-)

ATB

ImageImage

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

Ummm Brian gave me a little something last night
Based on Martin and Erics notes - he has tweaked the FDE and Cfg a little

to wit

Mine now has slighter less emphatic brakes
Less energtic flaps and stronger elastic in the bungee's

It will duplicate the "Auster Bounce" - It also requires FULL back stick to get it to three point just like the real one.

I think Brian is going to offer it to DaveG the same way DaveM and Brian are going to offer it to the FS9 types

If you like the current FDE/CFG you can ignore it - If you want that little extra challenge you can modify them with
Brians work - personally Im going with the latter - having also flown/flown in a couple of Austers in my chequered past
I like the little more lively approachm but the brake modifications do improve the ground handling

Leif 8)