Sacked Pilot loses his appeal

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Sacked Pilot loses his appeal

Post by VEGAS »

Whatever your views on this, I still feel sorry for the Pilot. :-(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7953069.stm
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Sacked Pilot loses his appeal

Post by Nigel H-J »

Have to agree it does sounds unfair but.....rules are rules regardless of whom may be flying on your aircraft, even though this was a private charter flight and most probably not carrying regular passengers there can be no ignoring the rules laid down by the company.

Just hope he gets another job soon.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I'm always told that rules are there to be broken.. not that I subscribe to this unless of course it's speed limits! My dad always says that EU rules are only put in place for the UK to adhere too as everyone else does their own thing :lol: That's enough of rules :lol:

Well.. he took it on the chin and with good grace.. a wise move should he ever seek employment as an airline pilot again ;-)

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

You have to wonder what they thought he was going to do when he was 'told to use his initiative during the "vital" VIP flight.'.

I'm not a big fan of the 'rules are rules' mentality, it just gives people an excuse not to think for themselves. Certainly there's a clause in the UK Mil flying regulations that allows aircraft commanders to make decisions 'in the best interest of the service' if they can't get approval from their authoriser in flight.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Oh yes.. agree entirely Skip. Perhaps using his initiative meant he should have barrel rolled or done aeros instead :roll: I've absolutely no idea whatelse he could have done and as the flight was a private charter, it seems rather like he was pushed rather than jumped. It'd be interesting to hear from the company exactly what 'to use his initiative' meant :think:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I feel very sorry for him indeed. To be honest, in the 70's and 80's when aircraft were being blown up by terrorists anually there wasn't the need for the cockpit restrictions we have now... I just don't see that they make any difference. If someone wants to take control of an aircraft they will, even if the door is locked.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

This is the same person who authored "Pablo's War"????

Leif

By the way - I will state this - from the other side of the fence - -'private charter' or not - regulations are regulations
and since 911 the regs say ONLY those with a license on the flight deck. (at least on this side of the pond) I couldn't even
get permission for my son to visit the flight deck on a scheduled flight.

You cannot make exceptions for some - its not the way it works - and obviously someone blew the whistle on this chap
prehaps his own first officer or cabin staff.

alemaobaiano
Trident
Trident

Post by alemaobaiano »

The Biggles of Birmingham :brick:

This was not his first disciplinary infraction, and he was once saved by a command ejection initiated by his back seater when he pushed the limits in a Tornado.

If he is happy to disobey this SOP, what others does he feel are not relevant to his good self? I'm currently involved with two accident reports where the pilots thought that the SOPs didn't apply to them as well, and they killed their passengers to prove it. As for trying to drag his F/O into his defence, well, CRM is obviously alive and well on his flight deck.

He is a very colourful character, and he does tell a good tale, but he seems more interested in self-publicity than anything else, maybe he has a new book out soon? However, I do have to say that he was gracious in defeat.

TTFN
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this. – Terry Pratchett

RJP
Comet
Comet

Post by RJP »

VEGAS wrote:Whatever your views on this, I still feel sorry for the Pilot. :-(
The things that popped into my head immediately when I read the link were;

Why the **** did he let the guy onto the flight-deck in the first place? The fear-of-flying excuse seems desperately lame.

If after failing in an appeal you're gonna say "I have been beaten in a very fair tribunal by an excellent barrister and I have no complaints at all about the way in which I have been treated." then was there any point appealing?

When I read "including one in which he stripped to his underwear during an airport security check" I did have a laugh. As anyone who regularly has to pass through airport 'security checks' knows, it's not a pleasant experience, usually made infinitely worse by the jumped-up IQ-deficient hitler-wannabes manning them. One has to commend anyone trying to get their own back on them.

I hope he gets a 727 rating and comes to Bahrain! :dancer:

Rgds
Richard
Click here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Angus Prune
Comet
Comet

Post by Angus Prune »

RJP wrote:Why the **** did he let the guy onto the flight-deck in the first place? The fear-of-flying excuse seems desperately lame.
If it were me I'd be wanting to stay well clear of Robbie Savage ;-)
"I don't care how many times they go up-diddly-up-up; they're still gits."