Bristol Britannia from me...

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Re: Bristol Britannia from me...

Post by DispatchDragon »

LOL Nope -- you really had to experience the Proteus close up -- it had the deepest tone of any turboprop I have
ever heard -- the only way I can think to explain is from the front all you heard was a deep 'rushing" noise which
was all prop sound from the back there was little to no turbine noise mainly because of the very long angled jet pipe.
I remember in the mid 60s when they first starting talking seriously about the 108 Pndb foot print at Luton the Britannia could operate 24 hours a day because it didn't even come close to that. In cruise -- Without any insulation in the freighters the noise required ear plugs or a headset at least, which explains why most of my high end hearing has gone. especially when you were subjected to it for 6 -8 hours at a time. But that was again mostly prop noise.

The only thing we can hope for is that someone unearths some of the TV series that Redcoat did and it had legit
Proteus sound in it and not some dubbed in rubbish.

Leif

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

Many thanks Jens for this, I found a very and I mean very rare moment to fire up FS9 on my main PC and took her for a round trip of Aldergrove, a nice new scenery I am looking over will be released soon by UK Scenery, anyway this was a great chance to try out the scenery and the Brit,
I soon got used to VC flying as it is better than the 2d panel which is perfectly useable. I married the proteus sounds to it and went for a spin, a very nice plane looks great and feels nice to fly, heavy as you would expect, not had enough time to master it all yet but nothing seemed frightening. I even enjoyed VC flying...Oh dear I am softening with age :lol:
Now a few paints of this would be nice will you release a paintkit Jens? I do hope Rui who did a great job on your Comet will pass this way and paint a few in his special way.
A couple of pics, one on finals and one parked on the ramp.
Many thanks again for this one
Tony

AMD Phenom II X4 BE 965 @ 3.80GHz
nVidia GTX 560 TI 448 Cores

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

Oh, Aldergrove (my old second home), does it have the military side Tony??
ATB Trev

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

It sure does and looks great, I must admit I use ground enviroment and it makes a huge difference to the surrounding areas which MS left bland. I think if you like Aldergrove this will be worth having as its up to the usual superb standard.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I had to read that passage above twice Tony. Is that really you or is it the pills having a go again?? :o
I found a very and I mean very rare moment to fire up FS9 on my main PC
:think:

ATB

Confused of Berkshire! :lol: :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

Yep true Dave, since we had this new monster dog who is a pup and a pain...I rarely go upstairs due to the fact it would most likely eat everything plus the other two dogs! Hence I stole a rare moment today, well actually I had another the other day... It was so good to see a couple of big screens and fly a little. I was on the verge of cracking open the plastic and buying a new motherboard and CPU but as I dont use main PC much and it does what I need I will hold off. I use the laptop for painting and webstuff as this is in the kitchen and away from paws are us.......wanna dog??

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol:

Thank goodness! I wondered for a moment if you'd gone to the dark side :worried: :lol:

No thanks on the dog mate. I already have a 4-legged stomach (read Labrador bitch) who now has the distinction of snoring louder than me so one more would finally send SWMBO round the bend :lol:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

Dark side....no thanks tried that allvery pretty but no FSNAV so its never used...

Chris558
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris558 »

Well I have to say, I prefer the Brit over the Vanguard. The Vanguard is very smart/modern looking, whereas the Brit, for me, wins for its sheer elegance. They are about the same length but the Brits wingspan is longer. I vaguely remember the 'Buccaneer' BBC TV series, so although I've never seen one fly in real life, my interest goes back to then. Even then, I much prefered them to jet airliners.

The Proteus is the only turboprop (Airliner) from that era that I haven't really heard. We need to get the microphones down to Kemble - IF they still run it. The only time I saw 'Regulas' props running was at the '98 Air day, way over the other side - it's not run at a Kemble show since! :roll:

Worth noting also that there is what appears to be genuine Brit sound on some of the Avion DVD's. However, the Tynes and Darts sound so much better than the short bursts of proteus I've heard!!

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

I think if you like Aldergrove this will be worth having as its up to the usual superb standard.
Ex-SHDN(F)I crews would not normally use a word 'like' for Aldergrove, but having seen the screenies, I see what you mean. I can almost smell the battered deep fried jam sarnies with custard :o they used to serve there! beats the hell out of the Scots Mars bars in batter.

Back on topic, I too love the Brit, I managed one 3 hour trip in one whilst at annual camp with the ATC. This included a game of 'football' with the loadie in the virtually stripped (of seats) cabin, using the screwed up silver paper from the lunchbox sarnies, before the co-pilot colapsing with severe food poisoning (the sarnies?) stopped play. We returned with the poor chap needing oxygen and the FE (or Nav?) in the RH seat for landing.
ATB Trev