Your First Flight?

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Prop Jockey
Vulcan
Vulcan

Re: Your First Flight?

Post by Prop Jockey »

Okey Doke - nice tread :welldone:

First Flight - ~ 1982 BCal 1-11 Manchester - Amsterdam

First AEF Flight - ~ 1985 Chippie from RAF Shawbury

First Paraffin Palmtree Flight - ~ 1987 Wessex

First Solo Flight - ~ July 1988 Venture Motor Glider RAF Ternhill

Last Flight - Today, B747 from Narita (and yes I'm f****d)

First formation flight - hopefully on Moday (weather permitting :D )

Cheers

Rich

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

I was about 13, 1970, G-AVRN Britania 737-200 Luton to Spain, great flight went on flight deck on route back, holiday was cack tho :lol:
Sunday I get my first flight in a 747... Virgin Atlantic to Orlando, must admit to looking fwd to sitting in a747-400 even if it is cattle class :lol:
AMD Phenom II X4 BE 965 @ 3.80GHz
nVidia GTX 560 TI 448 Cores

Techy111
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Techy111 »

1st flight on a Britannia from Gib where i was born in 66

1st flight i remember on a Dan air 1-11 to Majorca when i was 13.

Then the usual Chippie , Sedburgh and Kirby flights in the ATC....

Most memorable flight in the BBMF Lanc at Lossie along with a rear seat ride in a Jag from 226 and a 45 minute flight in a Hunter from 237 OCU..... :)

Chinook was my most Fav rotor flight....did one of those "Khe Sahn" approach thingies.....my stomach is still up there..... :$

Tony
The last surviving and complete Vickers Vanguard....."Superb"
ImageImageImage

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

Comet 4B from Hurn to Heathrow 196? the year before PEE pranged at Heathrow, because my second flight was in PEU the Sunday after. The Air Scouts did a yearly trip to Bournmouth and used to fly back in a BEA plane relocating to Heathrow empty. It used to stop at Hurn and pick us up.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

robbie
VC10
VC10

Post by robbie »

Never forgot the first flight, sheer magic,
1971 East midlands-Jersey, Argosy G-APWW (double scotch), My first day on the job with Sagittair, we loaded 10 tons of Boots chemist freight and a few pallets of Grimsby fresh fish, then Captain Nick Carter grabs my shoulder and says "go get your lunch bag, your comming with me today"..he showed me the escape rope for the overhead hatch in the flight deck and said "make bloody sure it's attatched before you throw it out"

What a day, I've flown thousands of hours since then, but you never forget the first, sigh.

Robbie.

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

About 21 years ago, Southampton to Guernsey on an Air UK Fokker 27 (still in the blue livery I think). I wasn't very old, I do remember waiting for hours (literally) as the flight was delayed until visibility around the Channel Islands improved. It was the old Airport where the terminal was a converted WWI hangar and the smell of avtur hung in the air. I dont specifically remember the flight itself but the whole experience left a lasting impression and as a result of that I'm here on this forum making this post!

Vulcan_to_the_Sky!
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vulcan_to_the_Sky! »

First flight for me was with the air cadets in what was the training plane for them at the time, the Scottish Aviation Bulldog. Remember it very well, sat in the ready room at RAF Woodvale near Liverpool in a flying suit, helmet and parachute. Couldn't believe how much the plane rattled, even when it was idling. Could barely see over the cockpit (I was only 14 or so at the time).

A year later I got a chance to fly in what was a new trainer at the time for them, the Grob Tutor, much nicer to fly and be a passenger in, around August 2000.

Oddly enough my first flight as just a passenger wasn't to be until years later, in 2007.

Speedbird217
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Speedbird217 »

Great thread.....

AFAIK my first flight ever was on a BEA Vanguard (951) between Heathrow and Glasgow with my parents around 1963/4, I also know one of those subsequent trips was done in a BEA Viscount. First passenger jet was a BUA 1-11 200 from Gatwick to Edinburgh. In later years notable firsts were British Airtours (first 707), SAM Italy (first Caravelle), Spantax (first and only CV990), Inex Adria (first DC6), Northwest (first and only 727-100), Aviogenex (first Tu134A), Pan Am (first 747). My first light was G-AYCT Cessna 150 at Turnhouse. Never managed a Comet, VC10, DC8 despite their widespread availability for holiday travels in the 70's.

Cheers,
Robin

stegs
Trident
Trident

Post by stegs »

1966. Piper Cherokee at Teesside. I was twelve years old and an avid aerospotter at Teesside. You had to be avid because not a lot happened. :)
The flying school did short pleasure flights so my mate and I saved up our pocket money for a quick circuit.
I can't remember how much it was but we didn't pay anyway because as soon as we pitched up at the flying club hut with the cash in our grubby mitts the owner said he'd seen us around the airport and seeing as we were regular aerospotters he'd give us a freebie.
I don't know if he wanted some ballast because the pleasure flight turned into a flight up to Newcastle and back. Apparently he had to go up there to pick something up. So I got front seat going up and my mate coming back.
I biked the five miles home and Mum asked if we had got our flight. I told her I'd been to Newcastle and back. After all I was now a well travelled aviator.

And this was the aeroplane..

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

You had to be avid because not a lot happened.
LMAO :lol: Good one Steve ;-)

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!