Swine Flu - Blooming Typical..!

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Swine Flu - Blooming Typical..!

Post by VEGAS »

Hi all,

Well its just my luck. Me and my beautiful gal are due to tie the knot this very saturday and have been looking forward to the honeymoon having booked it quite some time ago.

Would you believe out of all the locations on the planet that a deadly flu outbreak occurs, it had to be none other than our honeymoon location!

We were (and still are!) due to fly out to Cancun next week. The only consolation is, the infection seems to focus around the Mexico City area. Thankfully quite some distance from the east coast where we are staying.

Spoke to the tour operator this morning. As is stands there is no advice from them not to travel to Mexico and any cancellation by us would mean we would lose the holiday.

Foreign Office website provides very basic advice but does'nt say don't travel. I suppose the next few days will be crucial to see if this thing spreads.

At this moment in time I don't know whether to laugh or cry!!!!!! :'(

Jeez.
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image

forthbridge
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Swine Flu - Blooming Typical..!

Post by forthbridge »

:-(
Bad timing Eddie. As you say, it looks 'isolated' as far as Cancun is concerned. I think however, regardless, whatever decision you make in a day or two will be the right one.

All the best to you both :)
Jim

AllanL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AllanL »

You have my sympathy - and of course the holiday firm have your cash. One thing you can rely on, the Foreign Office will be as much use as a wet paper bag in giving firm advice in the next couple of days or help once you're out of the country.

On the other hand, (after 27 years without remission) I couldn't help thinking of Michael Palin's prisoner character in Life of Brian," You lucky b*st*rd, what I wouldn't give to take the wife to Mexico....." Or words to that effect. :worried:

robbie
VC10
VC10

Post by robbie »

Hi Eddie,
Up to know we've had 5 confirmed cases in Canada, but it seems that it was only a mild infection and no worse than a bad cold!, I'm not saying you shouldn't be concerned, but it sounds like the normal media "blown out of all proportion" syndrome again.
They are advising us to take normal precautions, wash your hands regularly and try not to mix too much with the local population.

You're supposed to wear masks but...I don't suppose your new wife would be too impressed if you covered up her face on your honeymoon?.

Anyway wish you all the best :thumbsup:
Robbie.

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

Eddie

You will stand more chance of catching something from all the tourists in CUN --- I think as has been said most of the
problem is inside Mexico City . If you decide to continue you will find that you have a lot more space than you thought.
Also if I may suggest as a side note -- Rent a car and drive down to Tulum - its a beautiful place made for young lovers :)

If I may also suggest the Argentinian Steak House down town Cancun -- the food is incredible!!!!

Good Luck and Congratulations in advance from me

Leif

Speedbird217
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Speedbird217 »

I do believe the right amount of tequila will take care of most potential ailments taking hold. You're much more likely to suffer from the strong sun than anything else! I was in that area a few weeks ago and had a great and safe time even though the FO and State Dept were warning against travel there because of the drug wars going on. All the areas I visited were fine, clean and the people are the friendliest you'll meet. I had a sense if I did get ill I'd have as good treatment there as any where on the planet.

Go, enjoy and congratulations to you both.

Best,
Robin

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

I heard on the news that the FO are only advising travel to Mexico if it is essential. I would put a honeymoon in that category.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

Congratulations and best wishes to you both for Saturday and the future Eddie.

Hope you manage to get away and your honeymoon is not spoiled.

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

Hi gents,

on behalf of the good lady and I, thank you for the kind words.

I was'nt in the besty of moods in the Travel Agent this morning having just come off nights and going straight to see them. Having been deprived of my sleep and a crying finacee clutching my hand.

Anyway, Mexico is a mere blot in my memory now having finally received a full refund from Thomas Cook this afternoon after the Foreign office gave them little option. I must say I'm rather miffed about not going as we were looking forward to visiting Mexico and no doubt will have to get over there in the near future when all is well again.

Other locations such as Florida, Las Vegas, Cuba and Jamaica were being booked up so fast that the computers screens were glowing hot!! Probably from all the furious Mexican bound holidaymakers being forced to make other plans for their own good.

Alas, it was'nt to be for us and we now have decided to head east and have booked two weeks in Egypt. Thats a good distance away from this swine flu virus methinks. :lol:

And the flip side is that we have only spent half of the original cost of the Mexican holiday which leaves us plenty of beer tokens.

Not the happiest of endings but its certainly better than sunbathing with a face mask. :cool:

Back on nights again tonight. Better catch up on some sleep. |-) |-) |-)

Cheers again fellas for the blessings. ;-)
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image

forthbridge
Concorde
Concorde

Post by forthbridge »

Nice one Eddie :thumbsup:

Real downer about Cancun, but hey, you will love it in Egypt - so to both of you, have a GREAT one, :drinkers:

CHEERS
Jim