IE8 - Opinions?

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

IE8 - Opinions?

Post by nigelb »

I just got offered IE8 via automatic update and I held off for a while - I wanted to see what everyone who already has IE8 thinks of it. I have read both good and bad about it on the net but wanted the opinions of this esteemed group - so any opinions guys?

Thanks, in advance, for your input.

Nigel²

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: IE8 - Opinions?

Post by DaveB »

Yeh.. I just got that too.. and declined the offer (on this pc) :lol: I'm still running IE6 on this pc which is a bit of a pain on some sites but was brave about a month ago and moved up to IE7 on my newest system. Think I'll leave it a while for the zillions of bugs to get ironed out (there must be some) :)

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Quixoticish
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Quixoticish »

I've installed it to check compatibility on web sites I'm developing but that's as far as it goes. I don't care what anyone says, whenever I use IE, even for a small period of time, my PC ends of full of malware, a problem I just don't have with any other browser.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

My brother downloaded it and quick called me telling me to be wary as it screw up so much of what he uses.

I think I'll hold off :think:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

For the last few months I've had IE 7, Firefox and Chrome side by side and used them equally. I couldn't decide which one I preferred.

Two weeks ago I installed IE 8 and haven't used anything else since! I really like it and find it stable, quick and with lots of useful tools. I haven't found it at all intrusive and so far haven't suffered any malware attempts. It's got a whole host of security features - which the next person to post will tell you are all rubbish :lol:

If it all goes t*ts up, I'll let you know (via Firefox :lol: )

Ian :)

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

Apparently one potential problem is that it is now "standards-compliant". :dunno:

So when a web site sees that you are using IE, all the fudges required for IE6 and IE7 come into play and the site does not display properly.

Personally I have no idea since I use Chrome and Firefox. The only "problem" with Firefox is that it I have so many Adblocks and Noscripts in operation that I sometimes wonder what the web site was supposed to look like :lol:

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Well after reading Ian's post I bit the bullet and installed it...I have made the circuit of all my usual sites where I post pictures etc. and all looks normal. I think I detect a slight slowdown in actually aquiring the target but it all looks fine when it arrives. My own site works well and the Elephants look good. I have not looked yet at new features, so will fit that in tomorrow :flying:

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

ianhind wrote:Apparently one potential problem is that it is now "standards-compliant". :dunno:
So when a web site sees that you are using IE, all the fudges required for IE6 and IE7 come into play and the site does not display properly.
It's got an optional compatibility viewer. It displays websites that have been written for older browsers better and corrects out-of-place items. Seems like a good thing to me, but you don't have to have it.

Ian

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

been using it since RC with no problem, and the browser dosen't give you spyware, its where you go on the net, or bad things that have already embedded themselves on your PC.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

Well it just shows that I shouldn't believe all that I read :o

I'll stick to what I know but will upgrade SWMBO to IE8 sometime soon since IE is what she prefers.

Ian