VARIG Electras

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Garry Russell
The Ministry

VARIG Electras

Post by Garry Russell »

Those prop heads here should like this clip. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmKtmukxejs

On an aside.......I read recently Atlantic of Coventry is one of only two airlines that use the type in regular scheduled service although a small number still operate with other oufits on an ad hoc basis.

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: VARIG Electras

Post by Chris Trott »

The only regular operator of Electras in North America are the Canadian firebomber companies AirSpray Canada and Buffalo Airways.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Cheers Chris

It's getting a rare breed nowadays

Garry
Garry

Tom Everitt AFG
Victor
Victor

Post by Tom Everitt AFG »

I believe Atlantic Airlines plan to retire their fleet by next year, so make the most of them whilst they are still around!

Tom.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Lovely Vid Garry, one thing that always annoys me when any aircraft is seen taxying....somehow they always manage to keep the nose wheel centred on the line......me?....can be left or right to it but very rarely in the middle! :brick:

What do they use as a guide? I try to use some part of the instrument panel as a guide to the position of the nose wheel.

Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Know what you mean Nigel

You are looking to the side but I guess they get used to it.perhaps a certain window frame :think:

I used to marvel as the Viscounts turned in locally.........along the line then turn toward the building then turn 90 again to be side on and stop following the line throughout and stopping right on the end bar of the line. :lol:

Me............hard enough to keep on thr taxyway :lol: :lol: :lol:

Garry
Garry

alemaobaiano
Trident
Trident

Post by alemaobaiano »

Thanks Garry, that's a sight for sore eyes. I loved the scenes from the top of the Sugar Loaf...

This clip is a new report about the last flight of the Electra between Rio and Sao Paulo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8CsA-WGcjw

Enjoy
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this. – Terry Pratchett

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Thanks for that.....

Captain was quite emotional

Garry
Garry

alemaobaiano
Trident
Trident

Post by alemaobaiano »

He was, but the Electra has a very special place in the heart of many Brazilians, passengers and crew alike. It was the end of an era, not just because it was the last turboprop service (at the time), but it represented the end of a level of service we haven't seen since. The crews routinely flew along the coast, giving a commentary on the passing scenery, the flight attendants actually seemed to care about the pax, and it was a time when flying was a luxury for most of the population. Today you get better service on the coach service than the SP-RJ shuttle. (It's often quicker too :$ )

My late father-in-law never flew the shuttle again after the Electra was withdrawn, even though he had to travel to Rio every week. He said it simply wasn't the same in a jet.

TTFN
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this. – Terry Pratchett

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I can imagine

The 737 shown taking it over would be more akin to being delivered by pneumatic message tube.......in one end and out the other with little of interest in between.

The L-188 must have been a really suitable type, bourne out by the dates it ramained in pax service so long after the rest....excepting Reeve Aleutian.

Did you ever fly on the VASP Viscounts?............boosted by eleven ex BEA 701 on the airbridge, another type with much affection judging by the number that were initially preserved.

Garry
Garry