Model train dilemma

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

Model train dilemma

Post by hobby »

Some 30 years ago I invested quite a lot of time and cash in building an N Gauge railway (GWR) but neither of my then very young sons caught the model railway bug so the layout was eventually destroyed but I have kept my engines and a little rolling stock.

My present day dilemma is as follows:

Would it be more cost effect to invest in a good PC train simulator program, is there one for the GWR?

or

All the new bells and whistles ie DCC control and the much improved manufacturing standards in N gauge seem very attractive - might it be better to build a new small N Gauge layout, in effect starting out all over again? Possibly using second some hand rolling stock.

All advice and comments from forum users who have recently faced this sort of problem will be welcome.

markw
Comet
Comet

Re: Model train dilemma

Post by markw »

In my view, as a train simmer and part-time content creator for MSTS, Train Simulation is flatlining at present and probably would have a low boredom threshold with the limited after-sales add-on support. Microsoft train Simulator is as old as methusulah, cranky and tempremental, but has gazillions of add-ons, free and payware, including some GWR. It's available cheaply (via the Xplosiv label) but you'll laugh at the graphics if you are used to FS9 or FSX. However, the fact it is cheap and there are lots of freeware GWR steamies available at UKTrainSim, might be tempting. The other Train sim, Kuju/Electronic Art's Rail Simulator, has modern graphics and moving people but limited support in terms of add-ons, although freeware is improving. Ironically, it has Paddington to Oxford as a route - but modern day. It does have the Somerset and Dorset for steamies though. It may be the demise of Microsoft Train Simulator 2 ,which a number of content creators were waiting for as the Kuju Rail Simulator does have some bugs and realism shortfalls, might stimulate a bit more content creation for the sim in the absence of any other with modern graphics standards. So for train simulators, its basically a choice between old graphics with loads of add-ons, or new graphics with few add-ons. Or a cabview only simulator like the well regarded and free BVE.

On the modelling front, if you've got room, the modern generation of N Gauge stock is vastly improved over even quite recent pre Bachmann Graham Farish stuff. It's even had me thinking whether I should ditch my plans to build a new OO gauge layout using stock I've built up over 30 years to go to the smaller scale simply because the level of detail and application by the likes of Dapol and Bachmann. I can't help thinking that the layout would probably give more and longer satisfaction than a train simulator because you never quite finish a layout, there's always something you want to fiddle with, a new building here or a scenic object there, particularly as new stuff gets released. It's also more immersive and involves a wider range of skills - artist, electrician, chippy, set designer, observer, planner, the list is endless.

As a final thought, my only ongoing involvement with Train Simulator is as a part time payware content creator. I haven't fired up the game to actually play it for getting on for two years, the only time I drive anything is to test a new skin or sound file. My layouts, however (I decided to wimp out and find room for both an OO and an N gauge layout!) are being finalised and when the house renovations are complete mid summer, will be starting construction. I doubt I'm the only one who is finding MSTS less appealing and models more so.

Not sure if that helps but they are my thoughts.

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

0 gauge is what you want with live steam! :lol:
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.

decapod
Viscount
Viscount

Post by decapod »

I would go for both.

You can pick up MSTS for £10 or less, it runs well on modern PC's and for about £5 from http://www.uktrainsim.com/ (CD Ordering section) you can get the Bala/Barmouth DVD with a route that covers a lot of Mid wales (GWR + LMS) plus 500Mb of rollingstock and activities, plus one months premium subscription to the download library with gigabytes of files.

Scale modelling is a tad more expensive especially when you start adding DCC.
Paul Gausden
~~~~~~~~~~~
3D modelling blog - http://decapod99.wordpress.com/

fighterpilot
Trident
Trident

Post by fighterpilot »

Would certainly agree with the guys here concerning MSTS, old it may be but still loads of add ons being created for it. The old Bala was one of my favorites ant the new Bala looks great will have to get hold of it asap. I have used Kujus rail simulator but didn't get the enjoyment I should have done out of it as my laptop really isn't up to running it. The link provided by Decapod is an absolute must if you seriously want to get into either of the sims as it is a huge repository of mainly British locos and has a great forum.

Richard
ImageImage

Michael davies
Trident
Trident

Post by Michael davies »

Just getting back into model trains after ten years, I did MSTS modeling for about four years under the demised Blue Arrow banner ( Severn Valley railway fame ) but like Mark, used and played very little these days, especially when compared with something like FSx for model making, no poly count and bump mapping etc etc. MSTS has its good points and can be made to look very respectable even in this day and age and does allow virtual modeling if you want to drive from a drivers perspective rather than traditional model railway gods eye view. Not tried RS and gutted about TSx demise, may well go back to MSTS with a fresh view later in the year to give it another look.

Regarding scale, just sold most of my OO and Euro HO for O, figured i was more a modeller than a player and get a lot of pleasure out of brass loco modeling.

Best

Michael

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

Post by hobby »

i should like to thank all the forum members who have contributed to this thread. Much food for thought here. I shall have to devote quite a bit of time to thinking over all the points raised so far. I really would like to stay with N Gauge GWR so will have to look at, actually look at, rather than visit a succession of websites, what both Dapol and Bachman have on offer today.

I do wish that N was not so expensive - but available space here at home rules out attempting to create an OO gauge model.

Perhaps I might buy, or borrow from the Library service, some DVDs/books on digital control and modern layouts.