Wayward Tri-Motor

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

AllanL
Concorde
Concorde

Wayward Tri-Motor

Post by AllanL »

Not a development, more of a bodge for ease of flying long routes.

I was asked if I could set up an autopilot on the Tri-motor for some long flights. Well, piece of cake old boy, thought this fool. Oh no it isn't. I just cannot get an autopilot to make this brute hold a heading.

I copied over autopilot settings from another oldie into the aircraft.cfg file. Didn't want to know.

Then I checked the MOIs and they seem to be about 23% of the values they should. So beefed them up in case it was just too skitterish to hold a heading. Now it just wallows ungratefully off in ever increasing rolls.

Any ideas on why this lump of corrugated tin shows all the wilful grace of a hung-over pregnant Hippo with piles?

I'm told the Vimy is another unco-operative sod.

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Wayward Tri-Motor

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I dunno mate to be honest. I don't think the Sperry's on those old girls were particularly accurate in all axis anyway due to the nature of the AP (anyone who's owned the Pilots B314 will know what I mean!). The Tri Motor gets from A to B as AI mate so I guess it should do likewise with a real bod on the end of it :) The Vimy on the other hand is not at all keen on doing anything in the air though I think I found the reason for this when I used it as AI. I mistakenly put 150 as the alt rather than 015 so it spent a lot of time crashing :lol:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

dutch11
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by dutch11 »

I also tried installing an autopilot in the Ford and got the same results. I tried using the Vega AP, but when I clicked heading hold, I always ended up in a graveyard spiral. FSAviator put out an alternate FDE that is available at CalClassics and it really improves its performance. In four or five years of owning FS9, I probably only had 1 or 2 hrs in the Ford because of its handling characteristics, but now it is much more enjoyable to fly. That said, I doubt that it will fly with any AP without altering the FDE to the point that it is completely unrealistic to fly. Flying the Ford or the Boeing Model 80 is a lot of fun if you're in the mood for that kind of flying, but it's one of those flights I do on weekends when I can stay at my computer for longer periods of time. The Vickers Vimy is too much for me. I have often wondered if anyone has actually completed those FS flights for them.

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

dutch11 wrote:The Vickers Vimy is too much for me. I have often wondered if anyone has actually completed those FS flights for them.
I was part of the Sim Outhouse Round the World Race team this year and one of the legs had the Vimy as one of the required aircraft in order to gain bonus points. I learned from the guy who flew it that the trick to flying the Vimy is to remove 80% of the fuel and then it flies quite well. In default mode it is configured as the Atlantic crossing aircraft and thus is basically just a flying fuel tank.
Larry

AllanL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AllanL »

Thanks for the suggestions. I found that I could at least control the elevator trim, so that at least reduces the load to keeping the nose pointing in the right direction.

I can't really think of a reason for the lack of yaw control, after all Jens can always produce well-behaved aircraft from the same era!

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

Sorry about coming in on this post late. I have the FS Aviator update on. It does improve the handling but yes it still spirals out of control on autopilot even if you use something like FS Nav.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman