Q400 looses wheel

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Q400 looses wheel

Post by nigelb »

Apparently not the first time this has happened

http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoa ... 60296.html

And in case you missed it, info on the February Q400 crash.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/05/12/buffal ... nnSTCVideo

Nigel²

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: Q400 looses wheel

Post by TSR2 »

Another sensationalist reporter... why would a wheel coming off have any relivence to the Buffalo crash, which was due to pilot error after tailplane stall.

Cracking video of the wheel coming off though :)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

They seem to be trying to link it with the SAS UC collapse as well....although I had no sound

In reality a lot of cycles are made by these type of aircraft so the so called frequent incidents are really quite rare and in this case the value of inbuilt safety of having a twin wheel unit made this a non event sort of incident.

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Techy111
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Techy111 »

Ben Watson wrote: Cracking video of the wheel coming off though :)
Makes you wonder what he thought when he saw that come off..... :$

Ah well...off to QuickFit.... :doho:

Tony
The last surviving and complete Vickers Vanguard....."Superb"
ImageImageImage

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

I think the point that young Orangeball was trying to make was that both that Q400 and the one at Buffalo belonged to Colgan. Presently there is a move amongst the yellow-journalist set to hang Colgan in abstensia because they made the poor little first officer fly with a Captain who had failed a line check (happens more than you know) and that Colgan are slave masters who only pay their F.O's 16000 USD a year and make them fly all the way across the country to their job -- Well lets see, if the press has their way then NO crew members will commute (at present 75% of the US Airline crews commute to their bases from as far away as Ireland , Hawaii, Alaska to name a few.) Jumpseating is the way they get there. as to the 16K a year even with the lowest of the low commuter airlines I DON'T think that is a true salary as it is below subsistance level.
Dont get me wrong -- I have no great regard for Colgan or Pinnacle (who now owns them) but as usual the media is doing a bang up job of misleading and frightening the general public.
Oh yes by the way the family of said F.O have already lodged a wrongful death suit against Colgan / Pinnacle and Continental, you figure it out......

I'll take my soap box and go quietly

Leif

Techy111
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Techy111 »

Leif...would that 16k a year be basic...topped up by flight hours...?

Happens in the UK...

Tony
The last surviving and complete Vickers Vanguard....."Superb"
ImageImageImage

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

exactly Tony -- so they are flying a say, 75 hour a month guarntee - so depending on wether the pilot only flew 75 or pushed for the legal 100 hours a month (anything over guarntee is considered "overtime") the amount that Colgan stated of 26K a year is probably correct - I know its not much - but firstly thats the nature of this business -- Its NOT the overpaid profession it is portrayed as.....And Colgan is a starter - its where you go after you have finished your time as a Flight Instructor or flying cancelled cheques around in a beat up 207 in the middle of the night in crap weather. its a stepping stone --- a good 75% of our First Officers came from being captains on Dash8s, RJs, ATRs do take the right seat in a 20 year old MD80 , why?
because thats how the system works, always has always will and a bunch of Journalists arn't going to change it.

Leif

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

Wheel losses aren't a common occurance, but looking at the failure, it appears the nut failed or the pin holding it in place failed. Air Tahoma had a wheel failure in 2004 where on landing the wheel web (the vertical part attached to the rim) failed and the rim and tire departed the aircraft cleanly and ended up in a field well past the end of the runway having rolled along the ground for more than a mile. The airplane took off immediately after the tower told them that the tire had departed (they were doing a training flight and were not configured to stop safely by the end of the runway) and they landed again without incident.

I've heard about DC-8 and 747 wheel departures as well, but there's not one set cause. I'm sure there was an FAA report posted and if it was anything they would have said or done something, especially considering that the airline in question is currently involved in a major accident investigation.

Erick_Cantu
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Erick_Cantu »

Canadian engineering. It's normal.

(Disclaimer: I work in a factory that produces Canadian-engineered products)
Can't be arsed.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Must've been a wheel frightening experience :$

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."