The Ponds "Skunk Works"

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

The Ponds "Skunk Works"

Post by DispatchDragon »

A couple of advance screenshots of Keith Paine' next gift hopefully for both Fs9 and FSX
It should be explained that Keith has a special connection with this aircraft - he was at Llanbedr for
many years.

these are early pre beta shots - he has been working on it for some time and still overcoming some very special
problems with the aircraft . The odd view from the cockpit is 100% authentic.

Climbing away from Llanbedr with the drogues stowed

and deployed ready for the mission

Thanks to Keith

Leif

dswanson
Trident
Trident

Re: The Ponds "Skunk Works"

Post by dswanson »

Ah,

Jindivik, retired after about 50 years service. This would make an interesting AI plane doing a circuit at Llanbedr which could be "chased" as a target. There was a manned proof of concept prototype called "Pika" during Jindivik's development which must have been odd to fly being so small. Virtually all of the RAF's A2A missiles were tested on Jindivik at some point until replaced in the mid 1990s.
Regards,

Degsy

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I read an article about this little tinker and Llanbedr a few years back...a great addition to FS! Well done! :thumbsup:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Great subject :thumbsup:

Amazing how much they did for so long and yet little is known about them :think:

More will be known soon :)

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Rick Piper
The Gurus
Location: In front of screen learning 3ds max :/ ...............Done it :)

Post by Rick Piper »

Looks cool chaps

FS9 only ?

Regards
Rick

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DispatchDragon »

Rick

From what I understand Keith is struggling with FSX as well to make it work -- I'll let him explain some of the difficulties hes been having -- I'm just flying it -- Interesting pov - Im assuming the CCTV was in the pod on the tail -- Its rather fun flying
a sim of a UAV

Leif

AllanL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AllanL »

If you could squeeze a pilot into a V-1, these must have been pure luxury. Just a thought, having only seen these at the end of their days, were they ever so shiny? Or are flat drab paintjobs a recent result of Whitehall cost-cutting? :worried:

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

I spent many hours watching Jindiviks out of Llanbedr in the early 80's as we used to camp on an adjacent 'island' for a week or two each year. It was a great place for aircraft spotting as the boys from Valley used to use it for T & G's and there were always lots of 'oddballs' from the RAE coming in to visit or refuel. By far the best fun was sitting atop the huge sand dunes and watching the Hawks 'dogfighting' with the Jindiviks out over Cardigan Bay.
Larry

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DispatchDragon »

Allan

I guess you will have to ask Mr Paine that question as he worked on the real thing at LLanbedr -- he is trying to capture the
"operators" view with it === I didnt even know they used CCTV to fly the thing -- It would explain how they could "dogfight" with Hawks rather than fly along in a straight line and get shot down wouldn't it.

As I said this is a very very early Beta and Keith is working very hard on it from his secret lair En France :) I just flashed these for you guys as Keith has finally let others play with his new toy. Im still trying to master the Dolly takeoff

Leif

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

DispatchDragon wrote:Im still trying to master the Dolly takeoff
:o

Now that sounds very interesting if you can take off from the dolly and leave it behind just like the real thing. I take it you have to land on the belly on the grass beside the runway too.

From what I remember (it was a long time ago now) they were controlled from either a Canberra or a Meteor (I saw both in use) and the drone would take off first followed by the control AC. When landing the control AC flew just above and behind the drone and plonked it down on the grass then it flew off and did circuits until the drone had been recovered.

BTW if he needs another beta tester I have both FS9 and FSX on here. ;-)
Larry