VC10

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Ant1981
Victor
Victor

VC10

Post by Ant1981 »

Hello,

I've been flying the VC10 on and off for a little while, maybe a year or so (when not flying other crafts), but I've only just resgistered here today.

My question is, on the auto throttles, why is the maximum 180 knotts? To cruise at between mach 0.7 and 0.8 it would need to be higher than that surely?
I like this flight simming, it's fun.....

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: VC10

Post by DaveB »

Hi Ant..

I see you made it in then (I've just replied to your email) :wave: It's been a while since this question has come up but if I remember correctly, the answer is a simple one. The Autothrottle is not designed to be used at all points of the flight envelope. It's cool for running ccts or approaches (more approaches really) but that would be it. At all other points.. you would fly the aircraft to your desired speed using the throttles and then use speed hold to keep it there. The RAF don't use it these days (again, as far as I can remember) as speed hold is obtained changing altitude.. speed drops a little.. aircraft descends a little to get the speed back. This was fine in it's day but ATC's don't tolerate aircraft doing this sort of thing these days :lol:

So there you go.. if my memory was correct :) On the real aircraft, the Autothrottle had a very limited use and this has been faithfully reproduced in the model.

EDIT..
Just checked this in the Panel Manual and it is correct.. Autothrottle is only used during approach and landing :)

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Ant1981
Victor
Victor

Post by Ant1981 »

Thanks.

Speed hold, I'll have to give that a go then.

It's a shame that alt hold can't be used at the same time as the other switches next to it. If I speed hold, I won't be able to hold the altitude will I?

The RAF won't have to put up with VC10s for much longer though. Sighs of relief from people who travel on them, as the interiors are all held together with tape! I'll miss them though, only looking at them, never had the pleasure of flying on one.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

The RAF won't have to put up with VC10s for much longer
It'll be the end of an era when the Queen of the Skies is finally retired. We have a couple of VC10 pilots here and they love flying the aircraft ;-)

Re the AP..
DM did put an alternate AP on the panel too though strictly speaking, it's not for the purist. Access to it is via the AP panel itself so you'll be able to speed and alt hold ;-) Don't forget.. when the VC10 came into service, it had a FD crew of 4 (as is currently the case with the RAF) :)

Glad you're enjoying it anyway :thumbsup:

ATB

ImageImage

Ant1981
Victor
Victor

Post by Ant1981 »

It's a lovely aircraft, I'm really enjoying it.

When I fancy a good challenge, this is the aircraft that I fly. A challenge by means of the AP systems and the navigation, be it flying VOR to VOR or using the Delco INS that can be installed into this.
I like this flight simming, it's fun.....

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

DaveB wrote:We have a couple of VC10 pilots here ...
ImageHaaa-lloo? And ... and ... and ... a ... Image

Oh never mind :-(

Anyway, Ant. It's the flight engineer's job to trim the throttles in cruise and he would get a glare over the shoulder from the Captain if he let them drift. He had a throttle quadrant on his desk behind the FO's seat for that purpose. (See, that DaveB fella only did half a job with the panel shots and left that out! The model shoulda come with an extra set of throttles and a virtual EO. I told them that ages ago, but do you think they took any notice of me? Nah - what do I know?) Just do your best, mate - it's all we can do ...

Ian :lol:

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

We don't forget you :goodman: ...your stewardness :prayer:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

Thank you, Garry. I knew you wouldn't forget me.

But that other one better look out ... Image

Ian :lol:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

To say we know ALL about the VC10 would be BLX and we all KNOW that but on the other hand.. the FE's panel is well known as is his job. The pilot (PIC) will call for a percentage of N2 and the FE will oblige by giving that amount on his panel.. during 'normal' flight. The PIC already knows (or thereabouts) that the percentage of N2 he has asked for will give him the speed he requires so job done ;-)

With the present model, it is absolutely pointless to have a fully working (or even partially working for that matter) FE panel as you.. Joe Blogs- (hyphen) Sh1tforbrains is supposed to be the pilot.. he being the one sitting in one of the seats nearest to the weather radar. Should he on high decide to produce a VC version.. then you can sit where the hell you like be that on the floor, on a hosties knee, or, at the FE's station ;-) As I've said on many occassions.. FD CREW OF 4 :lol:

ATW

ImageImage

J0hn
Concorde
Concorde

Post by J0hn »

Ant1981 wrote:Sighs of relief from people who travel on them
Time to pull up a sandbag... :$

Back in 1974 - during the evacuation of Brit families from Akrotiri, the most popular vehicle of transit back to Brize was the VC-10 - it was considered the most luxurious of the three options. Everyone was trying to pull strings or call favours to get on one - and avoid the dreaded droning Herc (it's a long flight...).

We were unlucky in our luck :think: we managed to avoid the Herc, but didn't get the VC-10, either and ended up with about 6½ hours on a Britannia.

Oh well - at least that experience inspired me to try Jens' fantastic Britannia models - which are fun to fly.

J.