Install DM's Aircraft in FSX

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Install DM's Aircraft in FSX

Post by DaveB »

Hi Scott..

It may seem clumsy but this is how it was done back in FS9. The alternative was to have these textures in each texture folder thereby increasing the space taken dramatically. Many devs did it this way including the likes of Real Air ;)

Do you have DMFS Shared Files present in your Airplanes folder? If I'm not mistaken, the VC textures live in the associated folders for each model (eg, BAC 1-11 VC) inside DMFS Shared Files. I'll load one of them up to check.
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

flugkapitan
Meteor
Meteor

Post by flugkapitan »

Hi Dave,

Yes, I do have the shared files folder in my Simobjects\Airplane folder. Within the panel files within that folder - even the ones labeled "VC", there doesn't seem to be any bmp files that look like they are for the surrounding parts of the VC. The bmp's are all Main panel, Overhead, FE, etc...

Thanks,
Scott

"...now let's get this thing on the hump - we've got some flyin' to do!" Major Kong

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Okey doh.. I've just loaded the Trident up. It's been a while so I needed confirmation of what goes where. I have the VC textures living in the BEA texture folder. The texture.cfg in each texture folder is as follows:

[fltsim]

fallback.1=..\texture
fallback.2=..\..\..\..\Texture
fallback.3=..\..\DMFS Shared Files\Texture
fallback.4=..\..\..\..\Scenery\Global\texture
fallback.5=..\..\..\..\..\..\Scenery\Global\texture

This appears to work as I had the VC textured. :)

EDIT: Just checked the main FSX texture folder and the Tridents main VC textures are in there..
$DMTRIVCPANEL1_L
$DMTRIVCPANEL2_L
$DMTRIVCPANEL3_L
$DMTRIVCPANELC_L
$DMTRIVCPANELO_L

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

flugkapitan
Meteor
Meteor

Post by flugkapitan »

Hi Dave,

Thanks for taking the time with all this!

I think I'll have to remove all my Trident/Comet files and start all over. First of all, I have no texture cfg files in my any of my Trident texture folders - although they are present in the Comet texture folders. Secondly, those files that you say are in the main FSX texture folder, I cannot find anywhere.

I'll probably be best off downloading all the files again and starting fresh :dunno:

Cheers,
Scott

"...now let's get this thing on the hump - we've got some flyin' to do!" Major Kong

flugkapitan
Meteor
Meteor

Post by flugkapitan »

Gentlemen (and Ladies, if any present)!

I am pleased to report - SUCCESS! :excited:

I re-downloaded and installed the files. I now have the BAC 1-11, Comet and Trident series working in FSX-SE :Dance:

Haven't had a chance to fly them yet, but I'm sure they will perform as admirably in this new platform as they did in FS9. All I have to do now is install my Venture Hawaii liveries.

The only thing I did notice when loading a Comet into FSX is that the main landing gear wheels appear to be kind of greenish-grey in colour, whilst the nose gear wheels are black. Anyone know of a fix for this? Also, should I change the smoke effects as per TSR2 or remark them out altogether? Just wondering how "rubbish" they do look.

Thanks again for all the help! Have a virtual round on me :cheers: (After all of this I know for certain there is a beer or three in my future this evening!)

Cheers,
Scott

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

TBH mate.. that texture.cfg looks spurious. For one, I don't have a DMFS Shared Files/Texture folder :dunno: It may well be easier to download/install them again but to a temp folder so you can see what files have been installed. Then.. move them into your FSX folder.

The VC does show white briefly until the sim loads the VC textures so your install can't find em.

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

flugkapitan
Meteor
Meteor

Post by flugkapitan »

Hi Dave - I think our posts crossed.

Got them all installed and all is well - see above.

Just wondering about the greenish-grey main landing gear wheels on the Comet. The nose are black, but the mains off-colour. You know of a remedy for that?

Cheers.
Scott

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Let me dig the Comet out of retirement. I remember something about the gear legs but can't put a finger on it *-)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I've downloaded the Comet and a cursory look at the install.txt reveals this..

This is an FS2004 model, but it does work in FSX with a few minor faults.
The main faults are :-
black landing gear
Kneeboard can no longer view multiple pages
Built in VC view controls do not work correctly

I'm pretty sure you're seeing a greenish colour due to DX10 as they're black in DX9 ;)
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

flugkapitan
Meteor
Meteor

Post by flugkapitan »

Ah, that would explain it, then.

I can certainly live with some main wheels that look sea-sick :lol:

Cheers,
Scott