Install DM's Aircraft in FSX

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

chrisal
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Re: Install DM's Aircraft in FSX

Post by chrisal »

Hi
I know I'm pushing the technology way too far - but has anyone got a DM aircraft working in Prepar3D? I'm going to try the Comet one more time in the latest version - P3D v2.3.
I'll report back after some trial and plenty of error...

Cheers
Chris

chrisal
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by chrisal »

Good news - DM's Comet 4 now installed and flying in P3D v2.3
Bad news - no clickspots working in VC - (but 2D panel is ok)

Still it's nice to be back in the old bird.
Cheers
Chris

JohnWillimas
VC10
VC10

Post by JohnWillimas »

Have folks seen this post on AVSIM?.... *-)

http://www.avsim.com/topic/482901-mods- ... -bac-1-11/

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Err.. no :-O I wondered where he'd got to. He was Omni-present at SoH for a long time then suddenly dropped off radar.

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

flugkapitan
Meteor
Meteor

Post by flugkapitan »

Greetings all!

After a long hiatus from flightsimming, I decided to get back into it via FSX-SE and have left FS9 behind me. I am thoroughly enjoying being back in the saddle again, so to speak. I finally got around to re-activating Venture Hawaii, which I "inherited" after the unexpected and sad passing of Leif Harding in the late summer of 2011. I finally have gotten around to installing some of the Maltby/Piper aircraft so that I can fly them in the colours of the VA.

I have successfully installed the HS748/780, with the exception of the landing lights. When they are illuminated, there is a square transparent "box" around them. Does anyone know of a fix for that? Other than that, the exteriors and the cockpits are superb!

The other issue I'm having is with the Trident and Comet series. They install OK, the exteriors are fantastic, but when in the VC, the only textures are on the panels (main, FE, etc,,,). The rest of the interior VC shell is plain white. I must be missing some textures or they are present somewhere, but the aircraft model/panel is not finding them. I've looked through this forum a couple of times but the answer still eludes me.

Edit: After reading this thread for the umpteenth time, I saw this and it finally registered in my poor old noggin: Don't know about a separate Aircraft file and changing the FSX.cfg. I have all DM's aircraft in FSX with just the Aircraft file and the DMFS file in Sim Objects\Airplanes, effects in the Effects folder and the VC textures in the FSX Texture folder. The last bit is important as if they are not there they won't show. I will try that tonight after work. I must really have a word with my employer about these 12hr shifts affecting my cognitive abilities :agree: I'll report back. Still looking for a solution to the landing lights issue, though.

If anyone knows of a solution to these items, I would surely love to hear it!

Cheers,
Scott

"...now let's get this thing on the hump - we've got some flyin' to do!" Major Kong

flugkapitan
Meteor
Meteor

Post by flugkapitan »

Right, then...

I moved every bmp file that I could find for the Trident VC from the DMFS Shared file folder to the FSX-SE Texture folder. No luck. Still the texture-less white color on the VC shell other than for the main, OH and FE panels.

Help...?

On a positive note, I did find a fix for the landing light issue with the HS748.

Regards,
Scott

"...now let's get this thing on the hump - we've got some flyin' to do!" Major Kong

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Scott..

I don't have any of these aircraft installed at the moment though I did spend a day looking for the 748 so I could check which effect it used. I presume it was missing a texture from the effects folder??

Re DM's Trident and Comet.. I've never had this problem in FSX and I didn't think FSX SE was different enough to throw this problem up. Are you using DX10 by any chance?
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

flugkapitan
Meteor
Meteor

Post by flugkapitan »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Actually, I found the fix for the HS748 landing lights by just Googling. Found a file that replaced the one that came with the aircraft.

I'm using DX10, but do not have any problems with any other FS9 aircraft (within the limits of FSX). I use a payware utility called "Steve's DX Fixer" (or something like that). It makes DX9 aircraft textures compatible with DX10. Also does a lot of other tweaking to FSX that makes it look really good. So I don't think DX10 is causing the problem, as everything else about the Trident and Comet look perfect (they even show in the preview screens where you pick your aircraft).

It has to be the location of the VC texture files. Either I've got them placed improperly, or the sim/panel/aircraft is not finding them.

Regards,
Scott

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

If I were you, I'd quick swap back to DX9 mode and check if the textures show. Probably won't make a difference, but at least it would rule out a DX10 issue.
Dave G.

flugkapitan
Meteor
Meteor

Post by flugkapitan »

Hi,

Looking closer at the folder file structure and comparing the HS748 to the Trident and Comet, the 748 has a folder that is called texture that looks like it contains the VC bmp's. It is non aircraft specific. The other 748 aircraft specific texture folders do not contain these VC bmp's. The Trident and Comet do not have this non aircraft specific texture folder.

On the first page of this thread TSR2 makes reference to the main FSX texture file and it's use with the Maltby/Piper aircraft:
Finally, go to the texture folder in the temp directory. I cant remember if these need to go to a different directory in FSX, but we can put them in the main texture directory and see if it works. Copy the contents of the texture directory to ...\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Texture
That doesn't make much sense to me as it would really clutter up that folder over time...Anyway, I did try that with one of the aircraft and it didn't make any difference to the VC issue I'm having.

He also goes on to say on page 2:
... Oh yes, you need to copy the texture.cfg file from one of the default aircraft into each of the texture folders on the one your adding.
So, overwrite the texture cfg file that comes with the Maltby/Piper aircraft?? Which default aircraft....a C172 or an - gasp - Aribus?? :S

Totally confused here - must be my advanced age :lol:

Cheers,
Scott