Changing Tower view in FSX

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Changing Tower view in FSX

Post by Dev One »

Dont know if this is really still in the correct thread - but it is FSX related from this addled brain.
I have been trying to relocate the tower view to the end of the runway,which I can do very easily in FS9, and which FSX help says I can also by clicking on the Tower selection in the Map window - its not there - no alternatives - just the aircraft can be moved. Is it because I only have the base version?
Keith

JimCooper
Lightning
Lightning

Re: Changing Tower view in FSX

Post by JimCooper »

Nothing to do with only available in the Deluxe version. The Towers are simply not there in FSX Map View like they used to be in FS9. Yet another over-sight by the Aces team!

The HELP does say you can move the tower:

Using the Map in Tower Mode

Changing the tower position in the Map dialog box does not change the position of the control tower buildings in Flight Simulator; rather, it changes the point of view that you see when you choose Tower View. Using this feature lets you observe your aircraft in flight from a fixed position outside of the aircraft. For example, you can set the tower view at 3,000 feet and watch yourself flying aerobatics in the Extra 300S; you could also place the tower in the middle of a large lake and watch yourself make landings in the Cessna Caravan C208 Amphibian.

Move the tower using the text boxes on the left side of the Map dialog box, or by dragging the tower to the desired location.

BUT this is actually not implemented

So if you want a NEW Tower view you have to create a Tower using the Scenery tools and place it in your Scenery folder.....not quite as easy as click and drag the tower in FS9!!

Regards

Jim

Tweek
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tweek »

It is rather annoying that they got rid of that feature (although seemingly inadvertently :doho:). The tower view can actually be pretty useful at times, and I probably spend an unhealthy amount of time using it!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I like my Tower view :D

Can't fly by or whatever they call it be set up as a Tower View??

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Thank you Jim, it looks then that I will have to create a new Tower then for my Azimuth and Pitch sites position for my Jindivik if I want to fly her in FSX, I also have a problem to get some of my String Texts to work in FSX - they're OK in FS9, and sometimes are intermittent in FSX....
Must admit though that my other aircraft work OK in FSX with SP1 & SP2 installed, couple of minor things to tweak when I do an update.
Looks as if I have my answer, thanks to one & all.
Keith

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

Instead of Tower View, you should make use of the new functionality: CameraView, with this you can insert as many views as you want, where ever you want. For example at the end of each runway etc.

No need for a lot of wanna-bee towers, just create a CameraView and name it to your linkings. Voila there you go.

It's all in the SDK.
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

It took me a little while to cotton on, but have got there halfway, reading a 'How to' at flightsim & the SDK, putting an additional camera in the cameras.cfg and making it a custom category. Problem I have yet to try is if its in the .cfg file will my extra view be there on different airfields......otherwise I gather I can only install it in a .FLT file.
Keith

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Next Stage - OK its now in the aircraft.cfg - because Jindivik is only flying from Llanbedr. I can now start to add the pitch sites & the correct position for the Control Tower camera - anyone know if its possible to move the tower in the scenery file?
Its a bit difficult to place the camera EXACTLY where I want it, and making it adjustable at the moment is a bit hit & miss on the keyboard - cannot find a setting for speed of operation at the moment in the SDK, but at least it resembles a view from the Azimuth site. I think I have also found the changes necessary to make it fully FSX compatible, but there will have to be two versions of the Aircraft.cfg because the ordinates are different for smoke between FSX & FS9!
Keith

Ian P
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Ian P »

Moving the tower viewpoint in the scenery file is possible, but it needs the airport to be edited and recompiled using a tool such as Scruffyduck's Airport Design Editor (ADE).

It's not the easiest thing to get right and can be a pain, not least because normally you can only have one tower view per airport, so if you move it, it will no longer be at the tower location (or, for most FS default airports, 100' above the mid-point of the runway!)

The change is permanent, not temporary like it was in the FS9 map drag-n-drop world.

Ian P.